• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

American Sniper

Read the book a year ago or better. Was a good read if you took a lot of the bravado with a grain of salt. I found the "thinking very highly" of himself a bit annoying.
When I read Bradley Cooper was to play Chris Kyle, I think I vomited in my mouth a few times. Sorry I just dont see it, but hope he pulls it off.

Re:

I listened to some of the "book on tape," and watched the trailer. I just wish they would all not try so hard to imitate the southern accent. Its just too much acting. I'll definitely go watch the movie though. Its one of the only things my 16 yr old son is "into" that I actually approve and support.

You've got to read the book to understand all that he really did. everyone knows he is a killing machine/sniper but the real hero is that he couldn't stand watching Army grunts go through the door first when he was on Overwatch so he would come down and teach them to clear houses. Then he would be the first guy through the door day after day and week after week to make sure those guys less trained didn't get killed. Until someone higher up would find out what he was doing and pull him out of the ****. Book is very much just his account and not well written because it was just him recalling his experience. Don't think your getting a Clancy or Vince Flynn book

That gives everyone plenty of time to read the book first, for who hasn't already. Anyone who likes this type of book would likely enjoy "Back in the Fight". I know I did. I'm sure Josh Dean could relate to it.

I still struggle with Afghan and Iraqi movies/books. Room clearing is the scariest thing you can do in the modern age. Technique, practice and comfort with fellow soldiers, marines, etc is key. Sounds like a good dude if this is a legit story. A lot of snipers are like alpha pilots.....more out for themselves and statistics than the overall safety of the men and mission. I know a handful of snipers and douchebag pilots to back that statement up. I know one of each that fit the bill for stand up guys.

Jeep Family said:
You've got to read the book to understand all that he really did. everyone knows he is a killing machine/sniper but the real hero is that he couldn't stand watching Army grunts go through the door first when he was on Overwatch so he would come down and teach them to clear houses. Then he would be the first guy through the door day after day and week after week to make sure those guys less trained didn't get killed. Until someone higher up would find out what he was doing and pull him out of the ****. Book is very much just his account and not well written because it was just him recalling his experience. Don't think your getting a Clancy or Vince Flynn book

^ This!
True hero.
Book was awesome. Can't wait to see the movie. I will probably wait until DVD tho, I can't stand giving movie houses my money after all the stupid things they do.

damn....I was wanting to go see it Chrismas day :****: oh well whats a couple more weeks. As far as his murder goes I have some friends that swear it was a inside government job to have Chris killed to shut him up, IDK.

Sir,

It is always an inside job. The only time it is not is when you allow the faces of those you have removed from this earth haunt you until you take your own life. I know this is not the Oprah or Dr. Phill but I will say that the 3 things that helped me get out alive from Iraq other than my Platoon where Alcohol, Lortabs and Steroids. One to numb the body, one to numb my mind and one to keep my body capable of doing some crazy **** time and time and time again. Call me what you will, don't give a ****, myself and my platoon all made it back alive. To give you an idea of 2 locations- 2004-2005- Camp Tadji and then Route Irish "the Italian job". that was us.

To all of my fellow Combat Vets, please go and seek care at the VA. If nothing else, do it for your family.

wgamble said:
Sir,

It is always an inside job. The only time it is not is when you allow the faces of those you have removed from this earth haunt you until you take your own life. I know this is not the Oprah or Dr. Phill but I will say that the 3 things that helped me get out alive from Iraq other than my Platoon where Alcohol, Lortabs and Steroids. One to numb the body, one to numb my mind and one to keep my body capable of doing some crazy **** time and time and time again. Call me what you will, don't give a ****, myself and my platoon all made it back alive. To give you an idea of 2 locations- 2004-2005- Camp Tadji and then Route Irish "the Italian job". that was us.

To all of my fellow Combat Vets, please go and seek care at the VA. If nothing else, do it for your family.
Route Irish. Traveled that one many times in 2009-10. Made many trips to Taji also. Was further south in the Sunni triangle back in 05. Fob Iskandryia.Everyone in my Company made it home but lost many friends and also a cousin there in 05. And also another cousin lost his leg there in 04. God speed man.

Re:

Thank you guys and gals for your service!!! I wish time and again I would have stepped up!! Utmost respect to you guys who as CK put it "gave America a blank check for up to and including your life" as was stated earlier Godspeed my friends!!

I was told that they pulled up all the Jersey and Alaskan barriers up on Irish after we worked so hard to get them installed.

wgamble said:
I was told that they pulled up all the Jersey and Alaskan barriers up on Irish after we worked so hard to get them installed.
They were still there in 2010. Plenty of places for them to plant the EFP's. And of course our hands were tied with the new ROE's. We were doing convoy security all over Iraq in2009-10. It had changed so much in 4 yrs

Out of no disrespect for this movie, but Taken 3 comes out the week before. Looks pretty good. Going to check out both moveis when they come out.

I've read the book three times now and can't get enough of Chris. True American hero. I saw a interview with his wife talking about the movie. She says she was nervous bout seeing it but after she did said they nailed it. Everything was correct and not hollywooded up.