• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Angle of the engine...

London Gentleman

So I'm about to flat belly my toyota. If I lift up the trans and case up to make it a flat belly, do I need to pay attention to the angle of tilt on the motor(front to back)? Anybody know what I'm talking about?

That's kinda my thoughts on this too. It wont be that much different than stock.

Do I need to get my Cross-member bushings in order? I have a couple mounting ideas I want to run by you for ease of removal and install of crossmember and t-case....Something I learned....:stirpot:

I was thinking of getting the bushings through poly performance, with the sleeve and whatnot its like 14 a piece, gonna need 4 of them for the crossmember im thinking of.

I know what your saying, I just see some folks talk about this when doing engine swaps and stuff, dont really know why though. If I am thinking correctly the 22RE would be closer to level after the tummy tuck cause stock it is angled back a few degrees.

I raised mine years ago. Re-do the motor mounts so they arnt constantly being torqued on by raising the t-case.

just match your angle to the rear diff pinion angle if not using a double u-joint as a cv.
if you don't match the pinion angle you'll get a vibration at highway speed.

and don't run the tail shaft higher than the engine, bad angles to the diff if you do that.

How much are you lifting the trans end??? I would not think it's enough of a difference to really matter on the engine end (for the mounts)....and for the rest, depends if carbed or injected...If carbed, I would also think it would net you a couple more degrees in being able to climb something before the carb starts flooding....

Ill have to check on the angles, gonna try and install everything tomorrow and see what I'm working with. And its fuel injected.

What thickness of plate are you guys running for a flat belly? 1/8th or 1/4 inch?
Thanks guys!

You won't be going about 15 degrees on the motor. You can't get it far enough to mess anything up...

On a yota just loosen the nut holding the motormount to the engine bracket then raise the case where you want it and tighten the nuts back down. Problem solved. I've done many a flat belly like that and haven't had any issues.

1/4" huh? Even if what your mounting it to is pretty stout?
Yup, buddy just redid one that was originally done in 1/8", and it was bent/beat to hell...At the very least go 3/16"....but I highly recommend 1/4"...But it also all depends on just how it's built!!!! Any pics of the setup in question??? :corn:

This is what I would like to shoot for, probably one of the coolest builds I have seen, build thread here. Its the Tuki Suzuki! http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=27037

Flatbelly1.jpg

FlatBelly2.jpg

Flatbelly3.jpg