• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another airshock question

kyjari001

Haven't seen if this was discussed before, but I'm wondering if anybody knows what the maximum oil capacity is on Fox 2.0 12 inch travel shocks is or where to find such information. I know they come shipped with 270cc but I want to add more to try to get away from the body roll issue before I mount them. But I don't want to add enough for them to hydrolock. Sorry if this is a newb question but this is my first time running air shocks and I don't know much about them. Also I have read that they are shipped with 5 wt oil, and that is what I bought to put back in them, but I have seen guys on here recommend 7 wt. Does the 7 wt work better or should I just run what I have.

Re: Re: Another airshock question

From what I've read, 5-10cc added will make a noticeable difference and then add to that the difference of thicker oil also. I am in the same situation and have been researching a good bit on it over the past few months. Next time I'm on a computer, I will post links to the thread I've started on this and any other links I've found helpful.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

The 5-10cc thing may be a rule of thumb for bigger shocks, mine are 16's so that's what most of my research has been on. 5-10cc may make more of a difference in a smaller one like a 12. It seems to be mostly a trial and error deal. Add some, put em back on, try it out, and go from there.

Note: I still haven't tweaked my shocks any, this is just info from what I've gathered after lots of reading, so take it fwiw.

I've only run 2.0 SAW's, and they publish their max oil volume on their website. (I can't find the same info for Fox, I would just call and ask.) But I will say that 5-10 cc changes in my SAW's was not at all noticeable. 30-40 cc's was about the smallest changes I could notice. I had to add a lot of oil to get any stability out of them on a "heavy" rig though. (Heavy for 2.0 air shocks is ~4500 lbs.) I ended up pretty close to max volume.

I'm only going to be running them on the rear of my rig which is backhalfed, so I'm hoping it wont be too heavy for them. I'm guessing mine will weigh around 3700-4000 but a lot of that weight will be in the front, as the rear is only a fuel tank and pipe. I'm considering just finding out what max oil is and backing it off 20-30cc. I never go fast with my rig so a little stiffer suspension won't bother me any. Did you have any hydrolock problems when you had yours close to max?

kyjari001 said:
I'm only going to be running them on the rear of my rig which is backhalfed, so I'm hoping it wont be too heavy for them. I'm guessing mine will weigh around 3700-4000 but a lot of that weight will be in the front, as the rear is only a fuel tank and pipe. I'm considering just finding out what max oil is and backing it off 20-30cc. I never go fast with my rig so a little stiffer suspension won't bother me any. Did you have any hydrolock problems when you had yours close to max?

No. The rear of a backhalved rig is a good spot for them, IMO. Not so much the front.

I have c/o's now and using zukizzy from Pirate to help me with my valving. I've only revalved once so far and the performance increase is drastic. I've picked up roughly 20 mph on my test course just from that one revalve. I'm really looking forward doing more. The changes make a big difference, more than I ever would have realized.

It makes me think back to my airshock days and wonder how much I could have picked up had I bothered revalving them. The valving that came in my c/o's in stock form was SO FAR OFF from what is netting me huge gains right now. I guess they have to put SOMETHING in there and they have to sell their shocks with what will work best on the most rigs. But at the same time it is amazing to me how far off that can really be, and my rig isn't that unique in terms of weight and distribution.

NO ONE bothers with valving on airshocks. I don't know why. But I bet there are huge gains that can be made there, too. I almost wish I could go back in time and do some valve changes on my old rig, see how good I could have got it. Stuff that is standard operation to me now would have been impossible in my rig then. I really feel like I missed out on a lot of what I could have had with those airshocks and most people mess with them less than I did! I guess they kind of get a bad name since they are the bastard step child of the c/o and so many people regard them as a temporary or half-step to the c/o's. But I bet with true tuning they could hold their own with c/o's, at least for trail rigs / rock bouncers.

i have a set of Fox air shox on my new buggy and am switcing to 7wt oil and setting my volume, this week, the front has 4" bumps, but nothing on the rear, its a pretty light rig, think i need an anti-rock or bumps in the rear? havnt wheeled it yet and new to air shox!!

scared to death!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Another airshock question

patooyee said:
I have c/o's now and using zukizzy from Pirate to help me with my valving. I've only revalved once so far and the performance increase is drastic. I've picked up roughly 20 mph on my test course just from that one revalve. I'm really looking forward doing more. The changes make a big difference, more than I ever would have realized.

It makes me think back to my airshock days and wonder how much I could have picked up had I bothered revalving them. The valving that came in my c/o's in stock form was SO FAR OFF from what is netting me huge gains right now. I guess they have to put SOMETHING in there and they have to sell their shocks with what will work best on the most rigs. But at the same time it is amazing to me how far off that can really be, and my rig isn't that unique in terms of weight and distribution.

NO ONE bothers with valving on airshocks. I don't know why. But I bet there are huge gains that can be made there, too. I almost wish I could go back in time and do some valve changes on my old rig, see how good I could have got it. Stuff that is standard operation to me now would have been impossible in my rig then. I really feel like I missed out on a lot of what I could have had with those airshocks and most people mess with them less than I did! I guess they kind of get a bad name since they are the bastard step child of the c/o and so many people regard them as a temporary or half-step to the c/o's. But I bet with true tuning they could hold their own with c/o's, at least for trail rigs / rock bouncers.

This! After talking with Angryfab at Hale Mtn few weekends ago, revalving will def be the route I take along with heavier weight oil and more of it most likely. You can get shim kits for new valving at poly performance on the web for the fox air shocks.

Here is the link to my air shock thread I started a while back when I first acquired the trail rig I have now. Lots of brainstorming info, some opinionated info, and some facts so take it fwiw. Also the very last post in that thread made by me contains a link to a really good read about air shocks. I will post that link here so you don't have to go through it all.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/air-shocks-mystery-solved.109476/

Link to my thread:
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=21170.0

Latest posts