• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another Broken transission

87yjtoy

I broke the trans in my buggy in Hot Springs last weekend. Got it all out today. the only problem that I can find that might cause this to happen is that the rear drive shaft splines were frozen solid. Took me several minutes with a 4lb brass hammer to get it seperated. All the poly bushings in the mounts were ion good shape with no slack. all looked to be lined up properly. Here are a few pics of the damage.
DSCN3074.jpg

DSCN3075.jpg

DSCN3076.jpg

DSCN3077.jpg

Afew of the mounts
DSCN3079.jpg

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN3080.jpg

what do yall think?

That sucks Pat. I just tore mine down and one of my motor mount polys is melted a bit from exhaust heat. You have to keep those things healthy. Last thing I want to do is crack an aluminum block. What do you think caused the rear shaft splines to lock up? No lube? Had you noticed anything prior? Prolly not huh? Damn that sucks

No lube is the culprit or the grease worms. Zerk was broken off and really couldnt tell where it went. So that is added to the list.

durn flat bill bug mashers...

That sucks man, it does look like the shaft pushed it "up" and broke it off... going with what your saying in that the rear shaft was locked up.

( I had bad problems with the rear shafts lockin up on the Turd... weird , I never got one to come back apart either :eek: )

Got all the internals switched into the new K case, All back in the buggy, just have to get all the little stuff back hooked up.

Looks to me like the bushings at the back of the trans can flex more than the ones at the motor, since they are so much closer together.

87yjtoy said:
Got all the internals switched into the new K case, All back in the buggy, just have to get all the little stuff back hooked up.

damn...you don't fawk around over there..

maybe you should come over with a large bullwhip, take over my last little bit of **** and make me finish it....

i seem to stare and piddle too much...i think it's the A.D.D. in me....just ass joel.....

under_psi said:
damn...you don't fawk around over there..

maybe you should come over with a large bullwhip, take over my last little bit of **** and make me finish it....

i seem to stare and piddle too much...i think it's the A.D.D. in me....just ass joel.....

Im still wondering how you got so close to wrappin it up and then I finished and broke mine before you hit the trials... Get busy Mad Lou !!! :flipoff1:

I have an additional mount on the back of the Tcase as well.. its just a single suicidedoors.com bushing mounted in tabs off the back side of the case directly behind the front output.

I know my Tcase hasnt even wiggled or has at least moved in unison with the tranny because it had a cracked bolt mount hole on the back of the tranny and it hasnt changed in anyway even with the bellhousing poppin off. I really think the engine moved around so Im going to tie the motormounts together with a tube up under the pan from one side to the other.

keep up the good work guys, I'm taking notes and should not have any of these problems. Thanks for the field work.

kid rok said:
keep up the good work guys, I'm taking notes and should not have any of these problems. Thanks for the field work.

laughing1 Glad we can help your cause brotha man !

Mad lou said you called and ordered a new tranny today....

tranny.jpg

Got it all funning again yeasterday. It was harder to put it back together because I was looking for any cause of the problem.
Found a few things that would contribute to the problem and fixed them so maybe it will be a long time before I have to do this again.
The trans mount was too tall. had to clearanc a chassis tube and change the mount. Will have to have limit straps on the frony pass side
the drive shaft makes contact with the lower link in last 4" of drop. But I drove it around last nite & the trans works like it should.

Cool man, I love it when you get to that point of fixing "little" issues and getting the rig properly set up!!

Good work Pat ! thumb.gif