• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any automotive a/c guys here

fabricator1

So I do enough ls and cummins swaps and I'm tired of having to bring vehicles in to get recharged and pay their prices around here. What do I need to know? Can't be that difficult right? I think I have to have something to vacuum out the system? Someone left me a unopened 50# tank of r134. That's a start :popcorn:

Harbor freight vacuum pump and gauge set should set you back less than 150, electronic scale so you know how much you are putting in, and a little googling on the pressure/temperature chart should have you set. Don't charge from the high side, big fitting, red coupling or else it will blow up the r134a can, when the ac is on and engine is running.

Re:

What grcthird said, cause outside temp will effect guage readings. If the vacuum does not go down to 28 or 29. You have a leak. Pull vacuum on both sides, but like grcthird said, only fill on low side.
After adding a can or two, you will have to start the engine and let the pump pull it in. Get the can tap that screws on the top of the can ( if you end up using small cans). Also when using the big can turn the tank upside down when charging the system.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Any automotive a/c guys here

fabricator1 said:
How long should you leave the vacuum on?
Good 30 minutes, you are boiling the moisture out of the system and checking for leaks. Also helps pull in the freon. The 30 brent is asking about is the inches of mercury (inhg). System hardly will go down that far. More like 29 inhg.

Re: Re: Any automotive a/c guys here

ROKTOY829 said:
Good 30 minutes, you are boiling the moisture out of the system and checking for leaks. Also helps pull in the freon. The 30 brent is asking about is the inches of mercury (inhg). System hardly will go down that far. More like 29 inhg.

Yep inches of mercury is correct for vac. Shane you got the stuff to do this and want to make a few bucks? Text me sometime if so 256-415-4268

Also, always charge by weight .... pressure readings will not tell you charge level.

You CAN also use return line temp as an indicator of a fully charged system but that is risky if you don't have experience doing it... weight of charge is WAY safer

Vacuum the system for 30 minutes with both ports open, then leave the system closed for at least 10 minutes after vacuuming and before charging. If the gauges hold a steady vacuum, its a good bet you will have no leaks. Not a foolproof leak check, but a decent one.
If you have a scale and a large tank(not the autozone beer can size ones), charge the entire system BEFORE YOU START THE ENGINE from the HIGH side(red fitting), or as much of the recommended charge as will flow into the system. This keeps any chance of liquid refrigerant from going straight to the compressor(liquid doesn't compress) on start up and causing a failure. Always close both fittings before starting the engine. If a full charge did not go into the system before starting, now you can finish the charge from the LOW(blue fitting) charge port with the engine running and AC on max cool. Adding a couple ounces of PAG oil into the receiver/dehydrator(dryer) before you do anything wont hurt either, especially doing engine swaps or conversions where you may not know how long its been since the ac worked. Should be a sticker under the hood showing how much refrigerant each system holds. It definitely aint rockect science, but like anything practice makes better. After a few vehicles, you will figure it out. Pressures vary
depending on ambient temp and humidity, air flow to the condenser. There are charts online to give you a base line on pressures, but if its sweating on the low psi side, hot on the high psi side, high psi around 175 to 200 just off idle, low psi 35 to 45, then you are real close or right on.

I agree with everything you guys said. Add you oil after you vacuum and before you charge, the vacuum on the system will pull it in. thumb.gif

Another thing related to note is if you are charging an R12 system with R134a you want to use 80% of the R12 charge weight as the R134a weight. If you charge them full of R134a you will overfill the system and they won't work as well. Speaking of R12 systems, another thing of note is how to tell which fitting is high and low as the hookups are the same. The low side is always the larger of the two lines. 'Low side Large' is what they taught us when R12 systems were more common.