• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any new home builders willing to help me out with some inside info?

afd516

I don't know why I didn't think of asking here earlier than now.

I have questions.

I have a business that I recently bought a dump truck for. My business is oriented to take care of most outside yard, fence, tree, etc. maintenance needs. Because of the trash that is generated, I basically just bought a mobile dumpster to pull my equipment trailer with and it has worked out better than expected. We also have done a lot of home demo haul off, and property management trash outs when tenants skip or are evicted and leave the junk they don't want. Off the topic, I also have about 60 yards that I mow with a landscape box truck.

Anyway, to the reason for this post. I was recently contacted by an individual that has landed a contract to do the outside haul off of new home construction debris. The potential is huge and long term but the money is not adding up. Is there any builders on here that would be willing to give me some insight on this? The builder either has unrealistic expectations as to what they should pay to keep the construction site clean or the contractor that is wanting to hire me for my services is trying to make way more money off of me leaving me no room to make a buck.

I have been told by two of my co workers to run because builders don't pay. Right now that looks to be a viable option. But I have a hard time giving up on something that may actually pay off. The contractor that hired me has been insistent that this will pay off. I am not seeing it. We have started to clean up two houses. Right now I am at a break even point and there are still two phases of clean up left with no monies to get it done with. I am not under contract so now is the time to walk. I have a meeting with the contractor tomorrow morning and would love to lay it out for him with some info to either tell him he is being given a ride by the builders or he needs to pay up if he expects to keep this contract.

Anyone?

Sam

When the family was building houses and in commercial construction now, we just used temp services and roll off dumpsters... Builders are notorious for not paying or paying really late. We tried doing it ourselfs with a dump trailer and it was easier and about the same money to pay someone. That being said, I don't think there is much money in it. Good luck.

Re: Any new home builders willing to help me out with some inside info?

I have some of my best friends that are contractors, and they tried this with me. I know what it takes for me to make money with my trucks and equipment. I give them a dollar figure and that's it. It's generally the lowest I will go for anyone. They can take it or leave it, if I'm going to be broke, I'm going to set at the house and do it!! A contractor makes money off of every aspect of building a house or what ever they are working on. Don't settle on some that will just pay the bills or you'll be sorry after you first equipment failure and you have no money to fix it. Just my two cents!!

Roll off dumpsters are definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, the city is under contract with one trash collection company and their roll off is all that is allowed at a city inspected site. And they are stupid expensive.

I guess what I am asking is what should I expect a home builder to pay for this service before putting in anymore effort. Since I am dealing with a contractor and not the builder I am unclear as to what is really being paid.

I shade tree for a man that has roll off containers about 60 of them and 3 trucks. Just seems like he's always having to make calls about getting his money. Hell even used my Ph. to call his cust. cause they wont answer his call. PM me your location. Ill call him see if he will talk to you. ill give u his ph. #. I just work on his trucks. Try not to get into the money side unless it's coming my way.

Re: Re: Any new home builders willing to help me out with some inside info?

I had to at least clean up one house beginning to end to see what it costs. Now I know. The money that I am being told is allotted does not add up so I am trying to see what the real deal is or is this it? I am in business like anyone else to make money, not pay to do work. I know what I want to make per house but what is realistic? Some inside info will definitely assist me in pursuing this opportunity or giving up on it because it simply isn't there.

My personal experience with construction is this; if you are not the contractor, then you aren't going to make any money.
Years ago this was not the case, but it has pretty much been the standard for the past few years and is why I went back to wrenching. There is always going to be somebody else who can do it cheaper than you. Contractors will use and abuse subs with total disregard for them, and quite honestly try to screw subs to make more money off them.
I don't know how you price jobs, but if it was me, I would give him a price per dumpster. And it would be at least double what it cost me.
Look at like this, if the drywall guys are paid per board instead of per sq ft, then you will have way more trash, and that is just one trade. No way would I quote a per house service. Good luck with this.

I own a residential grading company. I tried the cleanup thing. Wouldn't work for me.
Time involved haul bills and dump fees have to be figured n.
that's where my cost were that builders weren't willing to pony up.
I just stick to thd grading now

There is no inside number the guy that was doing it before you finally quit. We do poured walls and if there's not enough money the they lay block. Not trying to be a smart ass but you said there's not enough money in it.

Any new home builders willing to help me out with some inside info?

I do it for a living and the going rate here in my area is 85 cents per total under roof sqfootage. That doesn't include foundation form wrecking or driveway forms. That is supposed to be for around 5 clean ups on a house, but never seems to work that way. On most of my builders that like the job to stay more clean I charge them by the dump trailer load. There is decent money in it if you can keep enough houses going.

Thank you!

This is exactly the info I was looking for! This contractor is new to this kind of work as am I and I think he way undershot the cost of doing these clean ups. I have a meeting with him in the morning to discuss and this gives me confirmation of what I truly believe is on the table. I just have to get him to give it up and pay. Or I am out.

Thanks again.

Whe I do an estimate on a house a figure a 1000.00 for clean up. I usually dont miss that by much at the end of a build,,

Coony, that is pretty close to what I have to work with. At that price. I gotta walk. It is costing about $11-1200 to clean up a 2500 sq ft home.

Re: Any new home builders willing to help me out with some inside info?

No way I would touch one for $1000 a house. There is a black dude around here that agreed to do a bunch for $1500 a house and they are small houses like 1400sqft. He can get away with it cause he's gonna burn everything but shingles, Sheetrock and bricks. I don't have the balls to burn stuff because the DEQ and city have threatened $5000 fine for first offense and I can't risk it

I met with the contractor this morning. I hold heartily believe that the builder is holding back. From the info gained here and a few other places, we have something to go off of. He has a meeting with one of several builders tomorrow. We will see how it turns out.

The reason I am not giving up on this yet is because the potential is HUGE. There are 4 developments going in our area with over 10000 homes total. Once we get our foot in the door, do a good job then the seed has been planted to expand to other builders. The possibility of doing other work has opened up as well. My business does lawn maintenance as well and the contractor does janitorial service.

We will see where this road takes us.

First off, NOT all General contractors are douche bags. Yes, there are lots of them that are out to screw you out of your money and have no conscious or believe that you too have a family to take care of, but there are a few of us that are the good guys and would lose a little money just to have dependable subs for the next project. I personally have been in the industry for over 30 years (damn I'm old) and still run across subs I have used in the past and have remained friends over the years. I say this because, I too have gotten out of the home building arena a few years ago had some of the best damn crews a contractor could ever have and part of that was in due to paying them on TIME. Invoice by Wednesday, your responsibility, and check on Friday after 2:00 (my guarantee). :dblthumb:
Now to answer your question; My clean up crews always gave me an up front number that was agreed upon by both of us prior to doing the work. This number was in whole and he was in charge of how ever he got the job done and whatever equipment he might need to get it done. Now I rarely ever built the same house twice and these were some pretty big homes (3000-15000 sq ft.), so each and every house had a different number, but the amount was always agreed upon by both of us ahead of time. COMMUNICATION...Sometimes I would end up ahead and sometimes he would, but it was a give and take relationship.
I would suggest you look into your local Home Builders Association or even ask the BBB about your builder to find out more information on him. I am now on the contractor side of the business (dirt digger) and have been taken by General's and feel your pain and it doesn't fell good at all. Good luck and hope this might shed a little light and trust in case this builder might be a good guy and if not, I know a couple of good ol boys from Pearl River that can help you get your money. molaugh

afd516 said:
Coony, that is pretty close to what I have to work with. At that price. I gotta walk. It is costing about $11-1200 to clean up a 2500 sq ft home.

I know it is hard to clean it for that price , but I stay on my subs hard to clean up there own damn mess. I also keep a dumpster on site. So I usually just have a guy clean up and throw stuff in the dumpster. I can usually keep my clean up cost right around 1000.00 bucks. Some houses go over but not by much.

I have seen some job sites that you couldnt clean up for 2000.00 LOL some sub contractors are just slobs :)