• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any toyota techs on the board?

Mark m.

I'm having issues with a 3.4 taco engine and need some help.
Replacing a 3.0 with a 3.4 Started with a known good running low mile 77,xxx engine that ran great. Got everything done and go to start it and it will run for 15-20 seconds and die. Did this 3 or 4 times figure its the fuel pump relay. Change the relay and go to start it and the engine will not turn over its locked up.
So we pull the plugs drop the pan take off all the belts and still will not even move with a 3' breaker bar. Going to check the timing belt today.
The only thing I changed on the engine before the install was adding a supercharger.
When it did start it made no funny noise at all and just shut off like it was out of fuel.
This ****er has me stumped. Any idea's.:mad:

Is the harness and ecm out of the same engine? Did the taco you stole it from have the factory security bullshit. Im no yota tech but that is just my best educated guess.

Although the not turning over has me stumped..... Interested on what you find after checking t-belt..

I'm having issues with a 3.4 taco engine and need some help.
Replacing a 3.0 with a 3.4 Started with a known good running low mile 77,xxx engine that ran great. Got everything done and go to start it and it will run for 15-20 seconds and die. Did this 3 or 4 times figure its the fuel pump relay. Change the relay and go to start it and the engine will not turn over its locked up.
So we pull the plugs drop the pan take off all the belts and still will not even move with a 3' breaker bar. Going to check the timing belt today.
The only thing I changed on the engine before the install was adding a supercharger. When it did start it made no funny noise at all and just shut off like it was out of fuel. This ****er has me stumped. Any idea's.:mad:

I am no tech but it doesn.t sound good :booo:

Is the super charger disconected from the crank?

Well I guess thats the chance you take with a rig that had been rolled at freeway speed. It must of ran for awhile upside down. In about the 30 minutes I ran it it ran and sounded good but I guess it was really just about ready to die.
The good news is in the long run I will know for sure what I have when I'm done and that's pretty much a new engine.
It will be worth it when its all done. I think:haha:

Mark is that bearing that failed also the thrust bearing for the crank?

Ive had rigs kill the engine after a collision cuz the endplay/thrust bearing was damaged in the wrecks impact. Only on SBCs tho.

Well I guess thats the chance you take with a rig that had been rolled at freeway speed. It must of ran for awhile upside down. In about the 30 minutes I ran it it ran and sounded good but I guess it was really just about ready to die.
The good news is in the long run I will know for sure what I have when I'm done and that's pretty much a new engine.
It will be worth it when its all done. I think:haha:
Yup, all shiny new! :D
Mark is that bearing that failed also the thrust bearing for the crank?

Ive had rigs kill the engine after a collision cuz the endplay/thrust bearing was damaged in the wrecks impact. Only on SBCs tho.
Have also seen this...but not just on SBC's...
It was the # 1 main bearing the trust washers are on # 2
Is #1 the furthest from the pump? I know on the Suzuki motors this is the case, as almost always the first rod or main bearing to go is at the front of the motor...although I have seen other cylinders fail due to a plug in the block's oil galley coming loose and falling out...

Yup, all shiny new! :D

Have also seen this...but not just on SBC's...

Is #1 the furthest from the pump? I know on the Suzuki motors this is the case, as almost always the first rod or main bearing to go is at the front of the motor...although I have seen other cylinders fail due to a plug in the block's oil galley coming loose and falling out...
# 1 is right next to the.
Its toast :booo: Anyone got a 3.4 for sale?