• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARCS & AOP 2014 Rules

I guess with arm restraints I'll have to mount my fire extinguisher and kill switch to the steering wheel loller.gif

I split this topic out from two other threads. I thought it important to have a thread of its own and more people were apt to see it with the changed title. Hate to see somebody get to the first race and not be able to compete bacause they did not conform.

Discussion!?!?

Thanks John,I liked it better when things were simple,run whatcha brung.I understand safety to a point,but as a driver I know what I'm getting in to when I sit down in the seat,but anything to protect the crowd I,m all for and understand,just my opinion.

454tbacon said:
Thanks John,I liked it better when things were simple,run whatcha brung.I understand safety to a point,but as a driver I know what I'm getting in to when I sit down in the seat,but anything to protect the crowd I,m all for and understand,just my opinion.

X2

454tbacon said:

:dblthumb:

civicmindedex79 said:

I am all for helping to prevent a helpless driver from being burned alive, but if someone bumps their elbow or breaks a leg, it's all part of the risks associated with having so much fun wrapped up into 30 seconds of woopow

muddinmetal said:
I am all for helping to prevent a helpless driver from being burned alive, but if someone bumps their elbow or breaks a leg, it's all part of the risks associated with having so much fun wrapped up into 30 seconds of woopow

the window net/ limb restraint rule is about more than just a bump, bruise or broken bone. it about someone LOOSING a limb in a roll over that could have been prevented.

safety rules are just as much for protecting the land owner and event promoter as it is for the drivers.

i have no dog in this fight, just my perspective.

5.All vehicles must be equipped with a winch recovery system rated to the vehicles weight. All vehicles must have a functioning 4x4 and have at least a tire size 38" or greater. No bolted tires or chains are allowed

This could be a deal breaker for me.....left no room for winch on new racer...never imagined it would be required for these racing series as a rule....hmmm

52tmod said:
5.All vehicles must be equipped with a winch recovery system rated to the vehicles weight. All vehicles must have a functioning 4x4 and have at least a tire size 38" or greater. No bolted tires or chains are allowed

This could be a deal breaker for me.....left no room for winch on new racer...never imagined it would be required for these racing series as a rule....hmmm

Maybe time to think outside the box.

main.php

PIC_0174.jpg

I also do not see where the rules say it must be forward pulling.

IMG_4211.JPG

Nor does it say electric.

fe-trailers-services-trailer-axle1-02.jpg

If rig under 4,500 pounds, UTV winch?

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/ProVantage_4500-s.shtml

I do not know if any of the above is legal, but strictly according to the rule, should be!

How many build a rig just to race? Most if not all at least go to non comp rides or just go riding with friends on private rides. I understand everyone has stripped down everything they haul in their rigs, some carry all that stuff in a side x side (either theirs or someone else's). Most of these rigs go places a normal rig cannot go without a winch. What do they do when they get in a place like that and none of them have a winch? Or the one with a winch gets into a situation that he needs help from a friend? A winch is not just for you, it is there to help your wheeling friends out. I do not race, so I'm not sure that I understand why or how 50 to 100 extra is really going to hurt you in a race. Like I said, I don't race so that is just my opinion. There are a lot of times in a race that if the rig has a winch, it is a lot easier and quicker to use it then bring one in off a recovery rig. Driver and spectators all wish for things to speed up and keep moving along with the competition. As part of the AOP recovery team, we will always try our best to have rigs at all the trouble spots. We will also do our best to keep the competition moving along. But as we all know every situation is different. When drivers put it all on the line, things can go haywire.

Like I said I don't race, so this is just my opinion. I have never claimed to be normal. :****:

Eleanor has a full size winch mounted to the front axle - it was required to race ECORS so Brian made it happen- rules also said it had to have a tail light - a flashing bicycle light done the trick

:spin:

wizzo said:
the window net/ limb restraint rule is about more than just a bump, bruise or broken bone. it about someone LOOSING a limb in a roll over that could have been prevented.

safety rules are just as much for protecting the land owner and event promoter as it is for the drivers.

i have no dog in this fight, just my perspective.
Anybody remember the guy that lost his left arm at Summertown a few years back?

broncomike said:
Anybody remember the guy that lost his left arm at Summertown a few years back?

His name was Peck. A real nice guy. Safety concious too. We had a fund raising event for him at Mountainside shortly after he got out of the hospital.

I know this is expensive idea but maybe a logger could donate a skidder for the comps. A log skidder could drag any of these rigs up the mountain running or not. Maybe the park gives them free advertisement or someone in the sport would wanna help out for a small fee. Fast recovery at these events will ultimately bring more spectators.

If you don't like running with the weight of the winch on the front because you'd have to deal with altering your shock pressure etc. why not incorporate a 2 inch receiver hitch in the front of the cage with some quick connects in case of an extraction? You could then have a winch mounted on a steel plate that would slide in and connect only when needed. It could be mounted inside the cab somewhere out of the way, pull a pin and remove it to attach to the front during extractions. It wouldn't alter the weight of the buggy much if you don't have to have it on the front end.

Or if everyone who didn't have a winch would simply add the 2 inch adapter and a + and - quick disconnect you could even have one winch on hand at the event to assist with each extraction. Let someone who is actually at every event be in charge of it. Surely there is someone willing to handle that.

Re: Re: ARCS & AOP 2014 Rules

By the time you drag it out and hook it up. You can get another winch to it. The purpose of having a winch mounted it to speed up the recovery. A lot easier to pull cable and hook up, the rig a block or move a vehicle into place. It will also help with some of the longer trails that might be run. Kinda hard to cover a few thousand feet with 3 or 4 recovery rigs with 125' winch ropes