• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ball joints

Pat

:mad: Parts stores are pissing me off. Shoulda gone to Napa. I didn't think dana 30 ball joints would be this difficult but apparently to the parts guy who doesn't speak jeep it is. Enough bitching here is my question-

Should upper and lower ball joints come from the same manufacturer?
Will it matter if I get lowers from Quadratec and uppers from local store (cheapo Parts Master brand)?

Shouldn't matter it is a jeep and you better have a decent balljoint puller and air help's too there a bitch to take off..

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I just don't want to end up doing it twice or have it drive crappy, it already drives crappy. Oh yeah I forgot to mention its my street car not my wheeler so I'm trying to get good handling and reliability out of it. :awesomework:

:haha: Yeah they were a bitch, the two I got out already. The damn unit bearing no come off so easy either, never had to use puller or slide hammer on those before :redneck:

Also--next time go to harbor freight and get there ball joint puller--dirt cheap and saves a bunch of time...

I use the Vatozone lifetime warranty Ball Joints. I've been through 4 sets in the past 3 years.

Anywho, the press from harbor freight can remove both bj's but I usually use it to install the lower, then whack the upper in with a hammer.

But no, it won't matter if you are just using the regular ball joints. Some of the MOOG bj's are "indexed" for lack of a better term. Basically they are offset so you can put them in with different orientation.

Yep I got the HF tool, handy little sucker for more than just balljoints too.
Got all 4 out now, tremendous amount of force in those! I thought a bomb went off when it "popped".
Now to go round up some mismatched parts since local guy ordered the uppers but can't get lowers, without going to the $100/ea "premium" joints.:looser:

Just curious what are the offset balljoints are used for? I mean I know for adjusting camber/caster, but for what reason would this be done?

Also--next time go to harbor freight and get there ball joint puller--dirt cheap and saves a bunch of time...

I've broken two of those HF they are handy but for the bottum ball joint drill it out first then hit it with the HF ball joint tool or a big f'in hammer work's too

I was told by Bear Alignment in everett (VERY reputable shop), to only use MOOG brand. NAPA sells MOOG.

MOOG does sell regular old ball joints. Some of the lifted folks with the D30's need the offset BJ's to retain thier caster/camber. I can't remember why exactly, but yes, MOOG is good stuff.

Lowers take most of the abuse right? I think I'll be using Moog lowers and Chinese uppers, so at least the good ones are going where it counts. The quality difference between two is incredible, just a visual glance and you can tell the good stuff from the chinese stuff. If the chinese built engines with this quality of machine work the **** would NEVER run!