• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery replacement in diesel rigs

TreeClimber

Ok.

My diesel truck just turned 5 years old today, and I was wondering 2 things:

1) How long did your OEM batteries last in your diesel truck application? (or, in other words, how soon til I have to spend money to replace mine)

2) What battery did you choose for a replacement, is there one battery which is better than another?

Thanks in advance

Too many variables. Is it a daily driver? Does it sit for long periods? Short trips or long trips?

Mine lasted like 8 years then I replaced them with the Wallmart...is it Everlast??....One of those went bad in a few months and replaced under warranty.

Too many variables. Is it a daily driver? Does it sit for long periods? Short trips or long trips?

I'm not sure how any of that effects battery life, but the answers are as follows. NO, it is NOT a daily driver. The truck has 43000 miles, and is 5 years old. So it gets driven approximately 9000 miles per year. The truck has (almost exactly) 1000 hours on the clock, so it's average speed is approximately 43 miles per hour. Figure about 2/3rds of the miles are cross country towing the Jeep/Trailer (#7000) or carrying the camper (#2000) or some combination therein. Those trip speeds average 60mph. The rest of the truck's mileage varies, but is mostly around town. The truck often sits for a week or two at a time, but hasn't sat much longer than that with any regularity.

A long period of time sitting is more than a few weeks. I have never let my truck sit that long without starting, but I know others who have and they come back to dead batteries.

As I understand it, it's better for a common lead/acid battery to be used and maintain its charge from being driven at least once every other week. If you let it sit and discharge for longer periods it cycles the battery more than it would otherwise. There are a limited number of times it can be cycled like this because it's probably not a deep-cycle battery intended for this type of use.

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing.

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing.

I didn't ask if I was doing anything wrong.

I asked:
1) How long did YOUR batteries last in YOUR diesels?
2) When you replaced YOUR batteries, which brand did you choose, and are you happy with them?

The motorcraft batts in our Fords are lasting 4-5yrs
My 03' Duramax is on the orig. batteries and have never had an issue.
Will that works for me has a 03' Dodge and orig batteries as well.

I have a consignment w/ Napa for my batteries but their Exide batteries leak and corrode very bad. I'm looking to change brands.

Trying out a few SuperStarts to see how they hold up (supposed to be made in the USA) So we'll see.

I wouldn't change them untill you see signs of failure.

Motorcraft OE's in mine lasted almost 10yrs:yikes:...have Interstates in there now...:awesomework:

7-10 years for most is no problem in a diesel.. Batteries today aren't as good as they used to be a few years ago.. But Costco's signature series are as good as any.

When I bought my '05 Duramax in '08, I swapped batteries, just for drill. They tested on the low side of acceptable, but I wanted to make sure everything was 100%. New Interstates then and no issues. I use Interstates in everything that's a "normal" type driver, not a wheeler type rig... those get Odyssey's.

John

My truck was an 04. I bought it in 06 and it already had the factory batteries replaced with the nicest Les Schwab batteries. I had to replace them in 09. Couldn't afford Interstates and went with Excides.

Exides have to be one of the most corrosive batteries I've ever dealt with....:puke: And shortest-living to boot...

My truck was an 04. I bought it in 06 and it already had the factory batteries replaced with the nicest Les Schwab batteries. I had to replace them in 09. Couldn't afford Interstates and went with Excides.

Wait, you replaced shitty batteries with shitty batteriese? :fawkdancesmiley:

My '87 is on only it's 3rd set of batteries, OEM and second set of Diehard Gold. My Stepdad replaced the OEMs in '92, and then bought a new pair in 2001. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and they sat there on his shop floor for 2 years until I got the truck. I trickle charged them, installed them in 2003. A month ago I was late getting to see an orthopedic surgeon, left the headlights on in Portland. Came out after 4 hours, started right up. I was impressed. I suspect I have another couple of years.

.......I trickle charged them, installed them in 2003. A month ago I was late getting to see an orthopedic surgeon, left the headlights on in Portland. Came out after 4 hours, started right up. I was impressed. I suspect I have another couple of years.

Now that you've said that, they'll crap out tomorrow!:fawkdancesmiley:

02 dura max 79,000. I have one org. and one replaced in 04. and there getting weak. if it sits more than 3 weeks its getting slow cranking. it has set for 3 + months and started right up

Latest posts