• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best Alternator

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
The alternator I have on the Solo Buggy is not keeping up with the lights at night. It is a standard 3-wire Chevy alternator for Gen-I. I have been through two with the same results.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a Mean Green, I have run them before with good results, but I notice now they don't shot the amp output on their website, plus $399 is a LOT for an alternator.

Any other manufacturers of high output Gen-I alternators?

Re:

Can't beat the mechman stuff......local guy and a wheeler like us to boot!

Give Matt at Mechman a shot. He's got everything your budget will allow . ....mild to wild and stands behind them!

I'm running a 320 amp billet tech unit with their adjustable voltage controller set at 15.3 volts (agm battery). It's crazy how fast the winch is and how nothing really kills the volts when all under load.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Re:

tonybolton said:
Can't beat the mechman stuff......local guy and a wheeler like us to boot!

Give Matt at Mechman a shot. He's got everything your budget will allow . ....mild to wild and stands behind them!

I'm running a 320 amp billet tech unit with their adjustable voltage controller set at 15.3 volts (agm battery). It's crazy how fast the winch is and how nothing really kills the volts when all under load.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

THIS!

I bought a new gm one wire off of zoro, Crome with billet pulley and fan, 200 amp. Dyno sheet says 160 amp at 600 rpm's and 200 amps at 1200. Cost $135.00
Fans run faster, engine runs cooler light burn brighter and so on so on.

halcat said:
I bought a new gm one wire off of zoro, Crome with billet pulley and fan, 200 amp. Dyno sheet says 160 amp at 600 rpm's and 200 amps at 1200. Cost $135.00
Fans run faster, engine runs cooler light burn brighter and so on so on.

This, you really shouldn't need much more than 100 amps though, you can get 105-140A options from the parts store off of factory applications if you can find a counter person willing to look

muddinmetal said:
This, you really shouldn't need much more than 100 amps though, you can get 105-140A options from the parts store off of factory applications if you can find a counter person willing to look

Running 100 now. Will look into Mechman.

Re:

Damn, how many lights are you running? What kind are they? Seems a few Let's would be cheaper. I run a stock GM 3wire 100amp on mine. I do a lot of winching, but I do have 2 yellow tops. All tied in with 000 welding lead for cables.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnG said:
The alternator I have on the Solo Buggy is not keeping up with the lights at night. It is a standard 3-wire Chevy alternator for Gen-I. I have been through two with the same results.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a Mean Green, I have run them before with good results, but I notice now they don't shot the amp output on their website, plus $399 is a LOT for an alternator.

Any other manufacturers of high output Gen-I alternators?

Thoughts on a ctec hard wired battery tender and just plugging it in to the rv every night when you are done riding?

bbone said:
Thoughts on a ctec hard wired battery tender and just plugging it in to the rv every night when you are done riding?

Could, I carry one. I have 5 of them and all my stuff is plugged in when not in use.

Re:

Pumpkin said:
Damn, how many lights are you running? What kind are they? Seems a few Let's would be cheaper. I run a stock GM 3wire 100amp on mine. I do a lot of winching, but I do have 2 yellow tops. All tied in with 000 welding lead for cables.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4 - Rock lights
1 - 12" Rigid
1 - 6" Redneck Lights
Lots of - Blue LEDS undercarriage lighting

Think my problem is driving style. Do a lot of barely off idle riding. The alternator is not charging much. I can pull it down to second and turn about 2,000 RPM and the volt meter will go from 12.0 to 13.2.

Dam mr John, Had I known I would have picked up the power master from Summit for ya. They had on the demo rack. Retails for 400 , they had it for 170 .. I do have to ask, what are the problems that you're having ? I'm sure you remember the cheap alternator I bought for $40.. I still run it . And think about it a lot, ESP riding at night.