• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best budget platform for Truggy?????

PixbyNick

I keep watching all these rock bouncer videos and im getting the fever something besides my RZR. I just bought a house so an expensive build is outta the question for a little while, so i was wanting to know what would be the best platform for a truggy build budget wise? Also what motor,trans, etc... would you go with.

Toyota, cheap, plentiful, huge aftermarket, light weight, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy one and spend less time building and more time riding. Lots of nice stuff or sale that couldn't be built for what they have in parts.

grcthird said:
Toyota, cheap, plentiful, huge aftermarket, light weight, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy one and spend less time building and more time riding. Lots of nice stuff or sale that couldn't be built for what they have in parts.

x2 :****:

Although I love my RBV's, gotta give credit where credit is due... Yoters get my vote.

I do agree with above though, find one that's already built and change what you don't like. I did this with my Explorer

Josh40601 said:
Although I love my RBV's, gotta give credit where credit is due... Yoters get my vote.

I do agree with above though, find one that's already built and change what you don't like. I did this with my Explorer

Agreed 100%. Much cheaper and less of a headache too.

Toyota by far but hell... You can buy something twice as nice as you can build for the same money right now. I bought a buggy that had nice parts but quality and looks were lacking. I wheeled it for a year, tore it apart and rebuilt everything. Now I have a 12k buggy with about 6-7k in it.

One ton Ford if you don't mind body damage. If I were to start over I would get a mid to late 90's F-350 with a fuel injected 460. It already will have the one tons, more than likely a 2.69 to 1 transfercase, and near bulletproof transmission. Gear and lock the axles, trim the fenders, bolt on some 40ish inch tires, cage it up and have some cheap fun.

002-16.jpg

IMG_20120609_1218591.jpg

5BrothersFabrication said:
Ok, ok... Just changed my mind. Taco, fa sho. :flipper:

For budget build, old yota...not tacomas lol. Tacomas have gear driven t-cases and you can't do any cheap t case mods like you can with the old gear driven t cases in the pre-Taco yotas. The older ones are also passenger side drop t cases so you can use factory yota front running gear where as you have to use a Wagoneer D44 if you want to keep stock width paired with factory yota rearend in a Taco. More **** out there for the older ones. However, the a/c rarely works in the older trucks.....a/c in my Taco still blows snowballs :flipoff1: