• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

best motor ls7?

gubni

www.lugnut4x4.com
I am contemplating my next buggy build. I want an aluminum block for weight savings. It seems like a ls7 is the best option for power and bang for the buck. I know very little about performance engines though so thought I'd ask your opinions.

Re:

Ls7 is a mean box that rocks! I believe they run a dry sump setup on that....which is a plus I would think.

If I were to build a buggy and had the budget to do so I'd jus use an LS based crate engine that budget allowed. most likely the 454 8)

Re:

The lsx 454 is a bored& stroked small block.

I would think the ls7 would be a little pricey for a buggy and the oil pump might make packaging a little more tricky.

I'd say ls6 or ls3 seem to be best bang for buck. Although a buggy with a new tuned coyote motor would be sweet.

Remember.... the more horsepower.... the more weak links you find. I think I would sacrafic some horsepower for a set of RCV front shafts or front 14 bolt. A 60 holds up good for most but when you are competing a lot of time the finess goes out the window. I think just this year I saw 4 or 5 front wheels get broken off. Or even save some money and have some custom shock tuning done. if you are bouncing all over the place it doesn't matter if you have 400hp or 700hp. Get the power you have to the ground and make it controllable.

highrolrcustoms said:
Remember.... the more horsepower.... the more weak links you find. I think I would sacrafic some horsepower for a set of RCV front shafts or front 14 bolt. A 60 holds up good for most but when you are competing a lot of time the finess goes out the window. I think just this year I saw 4 or 5 front wheels get broken off. Or even save some money and have some custom shock tuning done. if you are bouncing all over the place it doesn't matter if you have 400hp or 700hp. Get the power you have to the ground and make it controllable.

excellent advice.

that being said, I'm runing an LQ4 6.0 that is cammed, tuned, heads and makes good power. probably somewhere between 475-500hp

was plenty of fun in a 5300# truggy. can't wait to try it in the new buggy

Best bang for the buck would be a L92 in my opinion. 6.2L, aluminum block, same heads as the LS3, and makes 400hp stock. Cam and tuning can get the to 550 with ease. Because they are the truck engine, they aren't overpriced like the LS3 or LS7 engines.

Like above I am taking an l92 (truck version of an ls3) and stroking it to a 416. That would put you at the 600 hp range, but you will need the parts to go with it or else picking stuff up off the side of the mountain.

I've never heard anybody say that a LS7 is a good "bang for the buck." There are certainly more cost-effective options out there.

IMO, unless you're planning to run high RPM for extended periods of time, a LS3 / L92 would do just fine for a lot less money and similar power.

LS3-525 hp GM crate motor is the best hp to dollar engine I've found. Warranty and no tuning. Most that have been dynoed end up turning close to 540 hp.

If I were starting from scratch I would use a stock or mildly built 6.0. Cheap, easily available, and you can go to any parts store and get parts. Spend your money on axles, trans, tcase, seats, etc. Then once you get the bugs worked out and everything upgraded like you want buy/build another ls that makes the power you want.

L33
All-aluminum 5.3l truck motor, 310hp and 100lbs lighter than the LS1 (LM7)

The L33, shares the same displacement, but has an aluminum block with cast in cylinder liners, much like the LS1. This allowed a 100 lb (45 kg) weight savings over the standard LM7 model. Other differences were a higher lift cam shaft (0.482 in (12.2 mm) v. 0.456 in (11.6 mm) on both intake & exhaust), higher compression ratio (9.9:1 v. 9.49:1), and cylinder heads originally designed for the LS6. These differences bumped output: GM rated the engine at 310 hp (235 kW) and 338 lbf·ft (458 N·m).

The Vortec 5300 L33 (VIN code "B") is an aluminum block version of the LM7, and was referred to as the Vortec 5300 HO in marketing materials. How ever it should be noted that the L33 uses a flat top piston from the 4.8L instead of the standard dish piston found in the LM7. It also uses 799 cylinder heads, which are identical to the 243 casting found on the LS6 and LS2 with the exception to the Corvette spec valve springs, and hollow stem exhaust valves on the 2002-2004 LS6. This combination increased the compression from 9.5:1 to 10.0:1. Also the L33 had a specific camshaft not shared with any other engine, with lobe lift of 7.2 mm, 193 degrees of intake and exhaust duration, and a 116 degree lobe separation angle. As a result power increased by 15 hp (11 kW), to 310 hp (230 kW) and 335 lb·ft (441 N·m). It was only available on extended cab 4WD pickup trucks. Only 25% of trucks made in 2005 had the L33 engine.

L33 applications:

2005–2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD
2005–2007 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD