• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Birmingham People please chime in, good enough to move to?

customcj7

Well since I know a good portion of this place is in Alabama, I need some info from the Birmingham people.

My sister is looking at a job there and I'm trying to find out if it's gotten any better lately. We grew up visiting my grandparents down there and spent some time there in the 80's/90's/00's. But I haven't really been around in almost 10 yrs save for driving through what seems to be perpetual construction.

She's looking in the Alabaster/Pelham/Hoover area (south side clearly). Is this area dying or thriving? Is it good for families?

She'd be moving from Nashville which is thriving faster than it can stand, but for now thriving. Are those areas good areas, good schools?

Anybody live in those areas with firsthand experience? I'd really appreciate a PM. I'll buy ya beer when I come visit. ;D

Re: Birmingham People please chime in, good enough to move to?

I grew up in Pelham and moved to Calera 2 years ago. It'll be a big change from Nashville, but those areas you mentioned are nice. Hoover is going to be the nicest with the most to do, but also the most expensive. Oak Mountain has probably the best school system in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmcminn said:
Cullman is 45 minutes North of Birmingham. Best area around. Google it.
Yep, and if she's having to drive in to Bham for work it's not near as bad traffic wise coming in from the north as it the south. :****:

Work is in Hoover, so that's the reason for looking on the Southside.

I know Cullman (grew up in Florence), but that is out of the question. That's one helluva commute.

Mileage wise it is but if she moves south of Hoover it'll take about the same amount of time. From let's say Alabaster to Hoover which is normally a 20 min or so ride any other time can take 1-2 hours in the am and same for going back south in the pm. The areas south of Bham grew so fast but the interstate hasn't.

Agree with MoparMan on traffic. Depending on what hours she is working traffic could get bad. From Alabaster to Pelham (the 119 exit) SUCKS in peak traffic hours. The areas have just grown so much, but the interstates are terrible. After taking a trip to Houston a couple weeks ago I realize just how badly planned the highway system is in Alabama

Gets backed up pretty quickly. Around the mall in Hoover can get clogged bad around rush hour and holidays. Once you learn the backroads there are ways around most traffic jams though

customcj7 said:
How are the areas west of Hoover? McCalla and south Bessemer?

Hum. Bessemer:

White alone, percent, 24.3%
Black or African American alone, 71.2%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, 0.3%
Asian alone, 0.2%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, 0.0%
Two or More Races, 0.9%
Hispanic or Latino, 4.1%

Mountain Brook:

White alone, percent, 97.2%
Black or African American alone, 1.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, 0.1%
Asian alone, 0.9%
Two or More Races, 0.6%
Hispanic or Latino, 1.0%

Not that I have anything against Hawaiins!!

From link posted above.

Helena is IMO the best 10min from Hoover and 10min from Pelham/Alabaster. They also have the newest schools in Shelby county and no Jefferson County taxes or sewer system crap. Check it out.

JohnG said:
Hum. Bessemer:

White alone, percent, 24.3%
Black or African American alone, 71.2%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, 0.3%
Asian alone, 0.2%
Two or More Races, 0.9%
Hispanic or Latino, 4.1%

Mountain Brook:

White alone, percent, 97.2%
Black or African American alone, 1.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, 0.1%
Asian alone, 0.9%
Two or More Races, 0.6%
Hispanic or Latino, 1.0%

Not that I have anything against Hawaiins!!

From link posted above.

Well that confirms what I expected. Still the same Bessemer. Thanks

I was wondering about Helena, thanks for the tip.