• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bottom dollar!? Wtf

sparepartsdave said:
I've made low ball offer to people before, but it was usually based on what I had to spend, hard to offer more than you have. I told them the item was worth more than I had, and politely offered them what i had at the time, if they said no, I thanked them for their time and moved on, I left them with my number and told them to call if no one else was interested.

This is the way to make a low ball offer without being insulting. :dblthumb: If everybody that just asked "What's your bottom dollar?" instead acted like this then they might be able to buy more stuff.

So for all you folks that do not like to get low ball offers do you pay full sticker price when you buy a new car/truck?

no I don't make low ball offers on vehicles, I just recently bought a used 02 Suburban for my wife, I won't buy brand new, I'll leave that depreciation for some one who's trying to impress the neighbors. I shopped for a Suburban for 6 months, looked at what the market was asking, figured out what I'd spend on one. I talked to several people about it, told them what i was looking for, these people knew me and were friends or business acquaintances. When the right one came up(under 100K, all the options I wanted, in good shape , etc..), the guy told me what he wanted for it, I agreed on the price, I gave him what he was asking for it, I didn't make any kind of counter offer, what he told me was a very fair price. I paid for it in full(no financing). Bought it at wholesale price. I could have put it on craigs list and probably flipped it for a good profit, but that wouldn't have solved my problem of finding a good vehicle for my wife. The dealer i bought it from was happy, they made some $, but didn't have to inventory the car, I bought it before the end of business the day they traded it in(they didn't even have to wash it). I did the owner of the dealer ship a favor on his boat, he repaid the favor for me on a car. I'm happy with what i bought, I could still sell it for more than I paid. You don't have to be a low baller to be a sharp shopper, just have some good sense and patience. If you're in a hurry, be prepared to make some ones paycheck.

sparepartsdave said:
no I don't make low ball offers on vehicles, I just recently bought a used 02 Suburban for my wife, I won't buy brand new, I'll leave that depreciation for some one who's trying to impress the neighbors. I shopped for a Suburban for 6 months, looked at what the market was asking, figured out what I'd spend on one. I talked to several people about it, told them what i was looking for, these people knew me and were friends or business acquaintances. When the right one came up(under 100K, all the options I wanted, in good shape , etc..), the guy told me what he wanted for it, I agreed on the price, I gave him what he was asking for it, I didn't make any kind of counter offer, what he told me was a very fair price. I paid for it in full(no financing). Bought it at wholesale price. I could have put it on craigs list and probably flipped it for a good profit, but that wouldn't have solved my problem of finding a good vehicle for my wife. The dealer i bought it from was happy, they made some $, but didn't have to inventory the car, I bought it before the end of business the day they traded it in(they didn't even have to wash it). I did the owner of the dealer ship a favor on his boat, he repaid the favor for me on a car. I'm happy with what i bought, I could still sell it for more than I paid. You don't have to be a low baller to be a sharp shopper, just have some good sense and patience. If you're in a hurry, be prepared to make some ones paycheck.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce the"Dave Ramsey" of being a sharp car shopper. You may have cost your self extra money by not offering a lower amount. I personally rather have that extra money in my pocket, not the sellers.

kmcminn said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce the"Dave Ramsey" of being a sharp car shopper. You may have cost your self extra money by not offering a lower amount. I personally rather have that extra money in my pocket, not the sellers.

I have cost myself so much damn money by offering too low and missing deals its not funny. I am guilty as **** of "looking a gift horse in the mouth". If its a good deal jump on it. Because the alternative is going to cost you more....

Like I said, the guy gave me a good price right off the bat, I had done enough research to know it was a real good price. He was doing me a favor to sell it to me at that price when he could have easily sold it for more on the open market. He's a business owner and has to make his, I own my own business so I know how it works, I wasn't going to insult him by trying to get him lower, he gave a me a real good price, I agreed, had him put some fresh rubber on it(paid what he quoted me on that as well), picked it up the next day and never looked back. He could have sold it for more, but he would have had to run it thru the shop, have it cleaned up, deal with numerous tire kickers and then give the selling salesman his commission. The way he sold it to me, he had no more time that what he spent driving it around the back of the shop and calling me on the phone.This guy has already sent me 4 more customers and I've sent him several. That's the way a good deal is supposed to work

InDaShop said:
I have cost myself so much damn money by offering too low and missing deals its not funny. I am guilty as **** of "looking a gift horse in the mouth". If its a good deal jump on it. Because the alternative is going to cost you more....
Agree. When a deal is a deal, there is no need to try to squeak more savings out of it. You risk losing the sale and / or making yourself look like a total jerk.

jordan7118 said:
Agree. When a deal is a deal, there is no need to try to squeak more savings out of it. You risk losing the sale and / or making yourself look like a total jerk.

I'm 35 years old, and it took me until now to realize it. I try not to revert back to much, but I cant help my cheap ass self. :wtflol:

How bout all you pussies quit whinin bout fairly priced **** and bargaining :flipoff1:....if someone has something for sell, they can ask what they want for it....because they own it! If you don't wanna give what they want for it, continue on with your shopping! ...there aren't any written rules of buying, selling, and haggling. If there were, we'd all be ****ed because everything would be selling for the inflated Kelley Blue Book price and whatnot, then none of us would ever find any deals on anything. :****:

^^^ Agreed, so while we're at it... how bout selling me that 4 door truck of yours, or even better just save me the haggling trouble and trade me straight up for my 2 door. :flipoff1:

grcthird said:
^^^ Agreed, so while we're at it... how bout selling me that 4 door truck of yours, or even better just save me the haggling trouble and trade me straight up for my 2 door. :flipoff1:

Make me an offer I can't refuse lol I usually drive my little Saturn to run around town in, but drove the truck today and every time I drive it, I'm like damn I really don't wanna get rid of it. But hell, everything's got a price....even bitches. :drinkers:

My Dad is the worst about trying to jew people down because everything is going to need to be replaced. He's kind of neurotic about new stuff like that. Tires are a good example. He puts new tires on everything he buys. He doesn't care if you show him a receipt proving that the tires were purchased new 30 minutes before he got there. He'll be like, "Well, I'm going to have to put new tires on it so that's $1000." Most of the time people just look at him like he's crazy but when it does work sure enough he'll go throwing perfectly good tires away and buying new ones. If he's buying a trailer he'll be like, "Well, the deck needs to be replaced, it needs new tires, probably brakes, has to be re-wired, painted. I know you're asking $2500 but all that's probably going to cost me that much alone, so will you take $2000?" When I'm with him I feel so uncomfortable. If I was bargaining with him I would be like, "If its such a POS WTF do you want it? Give me what I want or :gtfo:."

everything I have ever sold has been listed OBO and have probably never bought anything second hand at the listed price. If someone wont haggle a little on the price then I usually wont buy no matter how good of a deal. Guess i'm a little like Wyatt, missed out on some good deals in the past just from being a cheap ass and trying to save $50. I will always listen to an offer no matter how ridiculous. The part about buying and selling that pisses me off the most is when someone makes an offer less than you are asking and you agree to the deal then they come back with well... I cant afford that much I only got $xxx will you take that? Im guilty of the What's your bottom dollar question mainly because I will always take less than what the listed price is. In the same sense I always say "well...whats your best offer?'' Negotiating is all part of the fun to me. I enjoy it.

Or the guys who are like "I was just looking at one better than this for half the price" then why the **** are you here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk