• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building a trail right

The best trail tools in existance are a chain saw and a 4wd vehicle. I've been down more than a couple trails that were created by nothing more than a truck and a driver. Of course, the fake internet people tell me those trails are evil and that it takes thousands of dollars, a whole gaggle of voulenteers and equipment to build a trail.

The best trail tools in existance are a chain saw and a 4wd vehicle. I've been down more than a couple trails that were created by nothing more than a truck and a driver. Of course, the fake internet people tell me those trails are evil and that it takes thousands of dollars, a whole gaggle of voulenteers and equipment to build a trail.

We are definitely talking about 2 different things. You're trail is just fine.:;

We are talking about PUBLICLY KNOWN and LAND MANAGED trail systems.

That is the best way. :awesomework:

That is the best way. :awesomework:

Thats not building a trail "right" but thats building a trail "right.":;

One major understanding everyone must about Reiter (before this discussion gets all crazy:redneck:) is that the entire area we knew as Reiter Pit is being subdivided into 5 recreation land spaces. This discussion I know is about the 4x4 side of things, but that's only 1 aspect of the "plan".

I agree with Jakob, we do need to find other more suitable areas for our ORV use........but my focus is on my secret squirrel stuff and at Reiter. Personally, I don't have the time for more.

Heh, I guess the where I wanna see this thread go is examples of people building trails right.

By right I mean:
  1. Low Cost
  2. Challenging (or Long/Scenic)
  3. PUBLIC
  4. Environmentally sustainable/manageable

What is the template that Reiter is going to be built in and why is it unsustainable?
:corn:

After looking at work parties this spring, summer, and coming this fall, its evident that what we're planning for Reiter will not work in a large scale. Its too costly, and the government nor the organizations have the funds to build the trails we want to see. And we will not see this money anytime soon.

Whats worse is trails that used to be 'okay' are now getting scrutinized by the 'Reiter Plan'. There is no 4x4 trail plan, so Reiter is being used as a template to follow from. If this gets in DNR's head, we will see requirements that will make what used to be simple trail re-routes and building into an expensive process requiring many more man hours and materials.

The 'Quack Attack' I believe is an example of a trail that works with nature, was built at very low relative cost per mile, and looks fun as hell. If the Reiter template was to be used, this trail would have never been built.

The Reiter plan works great for Reiter. But thats it. I equate building an ORV park at Reiter to building a mall on a wetland: Its needed for where we're building, but vastly over-engineered for what is needed in other areas. Whats important is that people don't confuse the Reiter process with regular trail building. Unfortunately, this is what I hear when I talk about future trail planning.

So we need to find trails that have worked with a low cost budget and high return for wheelers.

one last thing, Elbe. If the Reiter plan becomes the state-wide plan for ORV parks, you can say Bye-Bye to what we know of at Elbe. It'll be funny, people keep blaming Walker or Elbe for making Reiter fail. I actually see the reverse. Reiter will end up making management of these other trail systems 10x harder.

one last thing, Elbe. If the Reiter plan becomes the state-wide plan for ORV parks, you can say Bye-Bye to what we know of at Elbe. It'll be funny, people keep blaming Walker or Elbe for making Reiter fail. I actually see the reverse. Reiter will end up making management of these other trail systems 10x harder.

You're absolutely right Jacob but what I really see happening is Reiter won't be successfull for several reasons and this will show them that even with the huge effort being put fourth this new way really isn't the way.:;

OK Jacob, let get some things out in the open for that everyone know where you are coming from and the amount of knowledge that you have on trail building. There is a difference between trail blazing a secluded low volume trail and developing a trail that can handle volume. We are dealing with 2 different methodologies; we are talking trail miles to acre of land.
What is the standard that has been used for years (trail miles to acre?)
How many trails have you built and finished that are in use today?

I think to get support with your ideas you shouldn

Okay, I'm going to try to turn this thread back on the trail.

not including Reiter: what ideas/areas would be good for building trails?

I'm talking dispersed, managed, long term, short term.

I think trail rotation is something that needs to be looked at. And many miles of trails to reduce the tread impact (spread it over a long area)