• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bw 13-56

jakes89f150

so after towing cars out tonight and driving around for a couple hours it sounds like my BW13-56 is going out.
Besides the normal gear whine of 4lo theres now a squealing noise when coming down in compression, and a grinding noise every so often when coming to a stop. I havent checked the fluid as of yet because its 3am and the noise started occuring about a half mile from home. The fluid was last changed was back in September. The noise only occurs in 4lo and not 2hi or 4hi.
Any opinions on what should go in the place of it?
I will see what comes out of it when i drain it in the morning, for some reason i think i might see alot of shaving's.

so after towing cars out tonight and driving around for a couple hours it sounds like my BW13-56 is going out.
Besides the normal gear whine of 4lo theres now a squealing noise when coming down in compression, and a grinding noise every so often when coming to a stop. I havent checked the fluid as of yet because its 3am and the noise started occuring about a half mile from home. The fluid was last changed was back in September. The noise only occurs in 4lo and not 2hi or 4hi.
Any opinions on what should go in the place of it?
I will see what comes out of it when i drain it in the morning, for some reason i think i might see alot of shaving's.
The 1356 is actually a pretty tough case, BUT---if it was run low-may have starved the pump from getting fluid to vitals; 1356's can be found fairly cheap and my suggestion would be to stay with it for now...

looks like im going to be in the market for a new one, i checked the fluid and it was bone dry. I filled it and ran around for about an hour then came home and flushed it, it came out black and i could see some oil dripping from the rear output seal. Its refilled now, no shaving or chunks came out and the squealing sound went away.

Fix the leak, and run it til she blows!!!!:awesomework: :redneck:Also, make sure it's not leaking between the case halves....:;

Last edited: