• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cadillac converters

Markrobinson

I'm wondering what guys with little jap trucks with stock fuel injected motors do about exhaust. I have a 22 year old pathfinder with clogged stock cats and need to redo my exhaust. I'm just wondering if I should bother putting a cheap replacement or high flow catalytic converter on or not. It's on tons and full hydro and hasn't been legally street driven in years, so emissions isn't a concern. I'm more wondering about noise and back pressure. I don't want it to be ricer loud or lose power by not adding one.

By the way it's a 3.0 V6 (same as the old Maximas, 300zx, and hardbodies).

Bypass the Cadillac converters via Straight Zoomies through the hood... :woot: Will give a great drone sound for the kiddos to sleep to.

I have nothing to add though as far as help in this topic.

Re:

Why even put cats back on it if it's offroad only?

I hate v6 exhaust noise so I'd put the biggest muffler I could fit under it reasonably.

If you want it really quiet, replace the cat (or any other long straight section) with a glass pack or resonator before the muffler,

That makes too damn much sense.

That was my concern. I didn't want to make it run poorly or obnoxiously loud.

A glass pack and muffler sounds like a good plan.

Markrobinson said:
That makes too damn much sense.

That was my concern. I didn't want to make it run poorly or obnoxiously loud.

A glass pack and muffler sounds like a good plan.

If you are a cheap ass like me, there are tons of FWD v6 family cars that had long (24-36") resonators + compact really quiet mufflers. basically for free-ish at the pullnsave.

i ran a resonator (36" long 3.5" diameter glasspack) from an oldsmobile intrigue for years on a 4runner

I'll have to check that out. It's currently got the second muffler from a Montero (they have a massive one then a little one at the tail pipe) and the two (presumably clogged and shitty) stock cats. It's not obnoxious but I figured it would get that way if I ran it without cats. Never considered a glass pack.

And yes I am a tight wad and have no problem running pull a part parts.

Why not just try it without the cats at all first. put in a couple pieces of pipe and see what it runs/sounds like. Then you could always add a resonator or a glasspack if needed. I think you will be fine with no cats and a big quiet muffler, imo.

ridered3 said:
Bypass the Cadillac converters via Straight Zoomies through the hood... :woot: Will give a great drone sound for the kiddos to sleep to.

I have nothing to add though as far as help in this topic.

I need to keep a low profile. Folks are already going to be wondering who invited the Nissan trail tampon guy - the least I can do is keep it quiet.

44BRAND said:
Why not just try it without the cats at all first. put in a couple pieces of pipe and see what it runs/sounds like. Then you could always add a resonator or a glasspack if needed. I think you will be fine with no cats and a big quiet muffler, imo.

I'm going to hit up the pull n save this weekend. I don't have much room for a muffler with the 4 link so Nick's glasspack/tiny muffler idea sounds appealing.

I run a 12" glasspack and a 12" generic oval muffler on my 4.0L and it is stupid quite and pretty easy to package around the links.

There's a few late 2000s Grand Prixs locally I'm going to check out today for this glass pack:

Attachments

• IMG_0185.PNG
    IMG_0185.PNG
    259 KB · Views: 97
Only took a year and a half to do this, but Nick was right. Ended up with a mid pipe for a Rogue from rockauto for $50 because it is 2" and ended up being a pretty good fit, and a cherry bomb from Autozone. Sounds like a 23 year old Japanese v6 and runs about the same.

Thanks to Patrick too for coming by and helping me get it done so it didn't take another year

Latest posts