• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

can propane make a motor run hot ???

backhalf-cj

Good day
I put a 355 sbc on propane in my buggy got 180 thermostat the motor has 6 rides on it it runs 200-240 then I shut it off and that just trial riding . I was just see if the propane had any thing to do with it ? :dunno:

Is your heater hoses running through the mixer. Propane actually make you engine run cooler do to the mixer. Uses the hot coolant to vaporize the super cooled liquid. If anything it would have fixed a cooling issue not created one.

tracker8wr said:
Is your heater hoses running through the mixer. Propane actually make you engine run cooler do to the mixer. Uses the hot coolant to vaporize the super cooled liquid. If anything it would have fixed a cooling issue not created one.
yes it is run through the mixer .

If the timing is to advanced it could make it run hotter. Since it is a new engine I assume the correct intake and head gaskets were used I've seen that in the past no flow. What kind of cooling system are you running?

al1tonyota said:
If the timing is to advanced it could make it run hotter. Since it is a new engine I assume the correct intake and head gaskets were used I've seen that in the past no flow. What kind of cooling system are you running?
aluminum radiator is in rear of the buggy Volvo fan

backhalf-cj said:
aluminum radiator is in rear of the buggy Volvo fan
Does it get hot really quick? Can you see the water flowing through the radiator? I recommend removing the tstat and putting in a restrictor plate and a air bleeder at the tstat housing air is the most common problem with running hot with a rear radiator system!

al1tonyota said:
Does it get hot really quick? Can you see the water flowing through the radiator? I recommend removing the tstat and putting in a restrictor plate and a air bleeder at the tstat housing air is the most common problem with running hot with a rear radiator system!
yea about ten minutes of idling to get to 180

Generally if your engine is running hot it is not the fault of propane. The engine might not be set up properly for propane but you can force the same problem on gasoline if it is not set up properly. The cylinder temperatures with propane will be higher but the average cooling system working properly can handle it. Has the power mixture been changed on the engine?Do you know how the timing curve is set? The power mixture is preset on Impco mixers to the correct ratio for best overall operation so you should only need to adjust the idle mixture for best idle. I am assuming you are running Impco pieces. It sounds more like a cooling system issue unless the timing is really cranked up high. Do you have a shroud with the fan so that air is being drawn through the entire radiator core? Below are the general guidelines for setting timing for a propane engine. You can check /set the timing and mixtures and rule out the propane settings if it is still heating up. Also make sure if you are running a vacuum advance that it is not connected to manifold vacuum.

On most applications, the timing should be a total of 30 degrees(base and centrifugal) with all of it in by 2500 rpm. What we normally do is disconnect the vacuum advance, run the engine up to 2500 rpm, set the timing at 30, lock it down, then let it idle with the vacuum advance disconnected. See what your base timing is running. If it is low,4-10 degrees for example, you can alter the centrifugal to lower that number and increase the base, still keeping a total of 30 degrees. As you increase the base timing check to see if the engine spins and starts smoothly when hot. If you reach a point that the engine bucks or loads the starter, back off about 3-4 degrees and that is your base timing. Subtract that number from 30 degrees and that will be the advance you need to have. This will provide a good start, strong idle and proper advance curve. We have had some engines run as much as 20 degrees base timing but 14-16 degrees is normal. The vacuum advance should be connected to ported vacuum and have no more than 10 degrees. This helps fuel economy at light throttle positions.

Give me a call if you need help sorting it out.