• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

carb to tbi converstion?

97f250

any one done a mallory tbi convertion or other brand on there carbed motor! look pretty easy just bolt up and plugs in has ecu distriubter fuel pump regluator and all the wiring and sensors and throddel body.. just wondering if it is as easy as looks or more or more of a pain!

I am not sure what you are working on but I put the I6 Mopar FI kit on my jeep and it has worked great.

Go here to learn about TBI conversions and no it's not as easy as plug and play. Also the Pro jection systems aren't as bad as most make them out to be but there is much to learn about them.

Seems for some reason they wouldn't stay tuned. Always having to F with them to keep em' running right. Kinda defeats the purpose of having FI.

yeah that would! what was always f up on it to make it run so bad! thanks binder for that web site it does have alot good info on it

Seems for some reason they wouldn't stay tuned. Always having to F with them to keep em' running right. Kinda defeats the purpose of having FI.

95% of people having issues with Pro jection can be traced back to poor installation. Another 4% simply bought the wrong system not even knowing what a alpha numeric system is or how it's supposed to work. Very rarely is the system at fault and in fact I'v never known of a single case IIRC but I'll give it the 1% cuz I'm sure it does happen.:;
PJ is not the right system for everyone.:beer:

I have had really good luck with Howell systems, I just put a tuned port on my nova.

Go here to learn about TBI conversions and no it's not as easy as plug and play. Also the Pro jection systems aren't as bad as most make them out to be but there is much to learn about them.

I went to that link when I swapped an EFI V8 into my wife's TJ. Learned a lot.

To swap JUST the EFI into an existing motor, it's often easiest to just buy the kit. More money. But much simpler.

You might try 'AffordableInjection' dot com
You might try 'HowellEFI' dot com

The Howell system doesn't require a distributor swap, instead picking up the signal from the coil, to tell the motor that it's running. The Affordable system requires a Distributor swap to a EFI style distributor. The better distributor is also a good thing, just a couple extra bucks.

You can also scavange everything from a donor motor, and transplant onto your engine, jsut a PITA if your not savvy with wiring.

I went to that link when I swapped an EFI V8 into my wife's TJ. Learned a lot.

To swap JUST the EFI into an existing motor, it's often easiest to just buy the kit. More money. But much simpler.

You might try 'AffordableInjection' dot com
You might try 'HowellEFI' dot com

The Howell system doesn't require a distributor swap, instead picking up the signal from the coil, to tell the motor that it's running. The Affordable system requires a Distributor swap to a EFI style distributor. The better distributor is also a good thing, just a couple extra bucks.

You can also scavange everything from a donor motor, and transplant onto your engine, jsut a PITA if your not savvy with wiring.

yeah i looked at the affortable ones and the howell i got a freind that has as a mallory system and it selling it for 1/8 the price of buying braand new and it never been ran..

yeah i looked at the affortable ones and the howell i got a freind that has as a mallory system and it selling it for 1/8 the price of buying braand new and it never been ran..

I didn't know Mallory built a complete EFI conversion system.

And 1/8th the price? Howell runs $1300 for a conversion for an AMC carb'd system to a AMC / GM EFI system. So that's what, $150? $160?
Sometimes too good to be true is too good to be true. Especially if he never got it running on his own rig.

its never been out of the box and it is 300 buck.. i could not find any thing on the mallory one either but that is the name on the side of the box..as for what he has said it has been a few years since i have seen it i remember it to be howell i get ti tonight i will let yeah guys know how it works

its never been out of the box and it is 300 buck.. i could not find any thing on the mallory one either but that is the name on the side of the box..as for what he has said it has been a few years since i have seen it i remember it to be howell i get ti tonight i will let yeah guys know how it works

I'm curious to know what kind of system it is? Let us know what's in the box.:awesomework:

I'm curious to know what kind of system it is? Let us know what's in the box.:awesomework:

Hopefully it's not just a box full of Ghost Farts with rocks in it for weight!!!!:redneck::haha: Sorry 97, couldn't resist!:D

I have TBI on my 91 K2500 454 and am looking to swap it to a carb maybe this summer and actually be able to get some power out of the big block...

TBI is shitty at best for an injection system.

:eeek:

i am just tired of the carb never being adjusted right and having to mess with it.. it seems it is flooded or it in runnign outta gas and i am not looking for any more ponys it is plenty of power for the truck would rather have a 4.3 to be honest but the 350 is already there and in.. why dont you like tbi seems like a pretty easy system for a fi

Well, my TBI is on my tow rig... so it never sees off camber, hill climbs, etc... and the tunability for a TBI is very limited...

And after dealing with Ford MAF injection, TBI is a shitty system...

Good thing I know a GREAT carb guy that for a few bucks can tune my truck to run right w/ a carb and probably make it run better than it does w/ TBI, as well as get better MPG and make more power... I may as well go for it this summer...

I would never go carb on a wheelin rig, but I would be hard pressed to convert a wheelin rig to TBI w/ all the other options available (other injection, propane, etc...)

Well, my TBI is on my tow rig... so it never sees off camber, hill climbs, etc... and the tunability for a TBI is very limited...

And after dealing with Ford MAF injection, TBI is a shitty system...

Good thing I know a GREAT carb guy that for a few bucks can tune my truck to run right w/ a carb and probably make it run better than it does w/ TBI, as well as get better MPG and make more power... I may as well go for it this summer...

I would never go carb on a wheelin rig, but I would be hard pressed to convert a wheelin rig to TBI w/ all the other options available (other injection, propane, etc...)

what other options do i have for around 300 bucks that i can do out of a gravel lot and the help of a freind i dont know how to do propane injection nor do i know how to convert to a complete fi system i get the bolt on tbi system for 300 bucks and i gotta belive it is better than running a carb! i am not the best with runnabilty but if there is other option for cheap that are easy please share.. i am new to this and would like to learn!