• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Casey Made me do it

money_pit_yj

This will not be as eloquent written as power washing the drive way or as powerful as Casey's transformation, but I will proceed anyway.

One of my pet peeves is when friends and colleagues in ministry (both vocationally or as a lay person as myself) never let folks know what is going on in their life. I understand completely why they do not, as leadership we do not want to burden people with our needs when we are supposed to be ministering and meeting others needs., plus there are people who want details so they can gossip rather than truly lift you up in prayer. That being said, if someone does not share with others what they are going through, how are folks supposed to pray for them, right? I try to be the same person online (be it facebook or Hardline) that I am in person so I am going to share with you guys what I have shared with many of my friends and church members. I have two reasons for doing this. 1. I am struggling with some things and need the prayers and encouragement and 2. God is teaching me some stuff I feel like I need to share.

I lost my job on 9/8/2016. It was a job I had for 11 years and in no way shape or form does it make sense why they let me go. The reason I was given was my job was eliminated and was no longer in the budget. All of our executive leadership wrote me amazing referral letters and have all been keeping in touch with me and assisting me with finding my new career, so it is not like they just wanted to get rid of me. My wife has a great job and is paid all cash, no benefits at all, so I was the one who had insurance, retirement, PTO, truck, phone, computer, on top of my salary. My wife's office let her pick up a day and I have been taking care of the house and kids all while spending 3-4 hours a day reaching out, networking and looking for a job. We are now going on about 8 weeks and this past week was the most difficult week we have faced. We have argued over little things that are no big deal, big things that we agree on but say different ways, and we even argued about why we were arguing. I am struggling with my role as a man. I have let the worlds view of manhood overshadow my Biblical role as spiritual leader of my home and my wife is struggling with the world telling her to wear the pants while she is making the money while the Bible tells her to submit to her husband and be my helpmate. I am struggling with comparing to the two other people in my life who both lost their jobs around the same time and both have new jobs making more money. I am struggling that my wife works 5 days a week while I am either at home or driving a tractor for a few bucks. Finally I am just bored, and that leads to trouble.

Here is the part that I am excited to share. In the last 8 weeks, God has taught me more than I have learned at any point in my 15 year walk with Christ.

1. I am called to be the spiritual leader of my home, no matter if I make $150K like Tony and Pholman ;D or if I am a stay at home dad, my worth as a Godly father is not determined by the number of zeros at the end of my check it is determined by how I lead my family through this storm.

2. God does not need Coop or any other job to provide for my family. We have more than 95% of the people in the world, and He will give us what we need when we NEED it. I am foolish to think that God has to have me employed at a certain place to provide for my family.

3. The people you surround yourself with will make you or break you in a situation like this. We are constantly getting calls, emails, letters, visits form people just wanting to pray with us and encourage us to remain steadfast and allow God to get us through this. To have a group of folks stop Sunday school and lay hands on you and pray for your family is a powerful thing!

4. Don't pray for the storm to end without praying for you to learn what God wants to teach you in the storm.

5. Pray, Pray, Pray, Pray and when you are done, pray some more.

I am not trying to be a drama queen and make a big deal about losing a job, but this is the biggest thing my family has had to deal with so It is a huge learning opportunity for us. With all that being said, If you are a praying person please pray for the things I mentioned above and that we would be content here where God has us. If you are a believer and have a church Get involved with a small group of like minded believers of some kind and let your burdens be prayed over by your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. The power of community and fellowship and prayer is amazing and life changing. Wake up daily and spend time with God and build a strong relationship with Him so you can face your storms with a peace that surpasses understanding. Let Him have your life fully and He will return the blessing 10 fold!

If you are not a praying person Please don't take this as me complaining, take this as me sharing with my buddies what God is teaching me and my family during a difficult time. God has blessed my family more than I could explain in 10 threads and it is only through him and his promises that my family is able to weather this storm. Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." and Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Both of those verses have affirmed God is with us through this time. God never promised us this ride would be easy but living life for Him and His glory is a sweet sweet thing. James 1:2-4 says "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing".

Im going to stop. I did not say half of what I wanted too but I have thought about this for days and this is what I ended up with :dblthumb:

Re:

Thank you for sharing. I have endured the struggles to speak of and may again someday soon. A few times I walk beside God, sometimes he carries me and because I am stubborn, he at times drags me with both feet digging into the dirt. Tough times are the perfect time to prove to are a man and can say and do all the things in the face of all that is bad. Remember this feeling too. When you are having a blah day, while gainfully employed, remember how it was to have a blah day with no work.

Faith seems solid, I will say a prayer for a lucky break in the career path.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Hope everything gets better for you man. Seems like every few years I have some big "setback" that I feel God puts me thru just to keep me in check, but...after you look back you are better off.

Pray you find something better than what you had before. Also pray you and your family become stronger .

Have you ever thought you might be getting nudged into doing something for yourself, might be why they found jobs easily and you haven't. When I started working full time for myself I had been pushing it off and off, then was basically forced into it. Sometimes you need to close your eyes and jump.

Great stuff right here and keeping a positive Faith is the key to a successful life with your family/ friends and work. As far as I can tell, you are on the right path to prosper and will be rewarded greatly when He decides it the right time and place for you. Till then, keep up what you are doing. One thing I would like to elaborate on as far as becoming involved with a small group through your church, is finding the right group that you can relate with. I have changed my small group at church numerous times as I/ we have been intimidated by many or feel over the top in others. If you don't understand what is being taught, ask questions. If you don't participate, change groups. You have got to feel comfortable with your surroundings or you will never understand what is being taught. Just because you're getting free hugs and donuts doesn't mean you get the BIg Picture. Be yourself and you will understand what your roll if life is supposed to be. I have been in this exact situation before and with the blessing of the Good Lord and the love and understanding of a GREAT wife, my life has changed immensely. If it can happen to me, it CAN and WILL happen to you and others as well. thumb.gif

Elliott said:
Have you ever thought you might be getting nudged into doing something for yourself, might be why they found jobs easily and you haven't. When I started working full time for myself I had been pushing it off and off, then was basically forced into it. Sometimes you need to close your eyes and jump.

You sound like Piper :rolf:

CHASMAN9 said:
Great stuff right here and keeping a positive Faith is the key to a successful life with your family/ friends and work. As far as I can tell, you are on the right path to prosper and will be rewarded greatly when He decides it the right time and place for you. Till then, keep up what you are doing. One thing I would like to elaborate on as far as becoming involved with a small group through your church, is finding the right group that you can relate with. I have changed my small group at church numerous times as I/ we have been intimidated by many or feel over the top in others. If you don't understand what is being taught, ask questions. If you don't participate, change groups. You have got to feel comfortable with your surroundings or you will never understand what is being taught. Just because you're getting free hugs and donuts doesn't mean you get the BIg Picture. Be yourself and you will understand what your roll if life is supposed to be. I have been in this exact situation before and with the blessing of the Good Lord and the love and understanding of a GREAT wife, my life has changed immensely. If it can happen to me, it CAN and WILL happen to you and others as well. thumb.gif

Good word man! People make it so difficult! If you want to talk, talk. If you want to sit and listen, sit and listen. Don't like the class? Try another. Be who you are and let God use that to win more people to Him and surround yourself with people who help you do that!

I was laid off Feb 2003 and have never been called back. Got married in April 2003 and have been working odd cash paying jobs since then. My wife has a good job and I am considered a stay home dad. My oldest child was born in 2005, 2nd 2006, and last 2012. Once my 2 oldest started school I started looking for a part time job. Started as a valet 2011 at the local hospital and worked there about 18months until they discontinued the service. While working as valet I picked up another part time job as a truck driver 2012 hauling hospital equipment a day or 2 a week. Been driving the truck and started a part time job as a mechanic for a local used car dealer last December. That being said, I usually am the one to run taxi service for 3 kids, if they are sick or need help with homework I am the designated parent. Right now I am listening to the today show, typing this, and keeping an eye on my 4yr old. My wife pays the bills and I make the "extra" play money for the family and cover most extra unexpected expenses.

My experience has taught me this: 1. Not all dads can do what I do, some need to work. 2. I love my wife and I know she loves me, even in the arguments. 3. I understand more of the suffering servant than the average person cause I feel I need to be busy when holding my child for a nap, or its to cool for them to be out with me. 4. Let the words roll off like water on a ducks back, they have not walked in my shoes. 5. If I had a real job I could not serve in the same capacity as I do now.

Re: Re: Casey Made me do it

mikeparker said:
I was laid off Feb 2003 and have never been called back. Got married in April 2003 and have been working odd cash paying jobs since then. My wife has a good job and I am considered a stay home dad. My oldest child was born in 2005, 2nd 2006, and last 2012. Once my 2 oldest started school I started looking for a part time job. Started as a valet 2011 at the local hospital and worked there about 18months until they discontinued the service. While working as valet I picked up another part time job as a truck driver 2012 hauling hospital equipment a day or 2 a week. Been driving the truck and started a part time job as a mechanic for a local used car dealer last December. That being said, I usually am the one to run taxi service for 3 kids, if they are sick or need help with homework I am the designated parent. Right now I am listening to the today show, typing this, and keeping an eye on my 4yr old. My wife pays the bills and I make the "extra" play money for the family and cover most extra unexpected expenses.

My experience has taught me this: 1. Not all dads can do what I do, some need to work. 2. I love my wife and I know she loves me, even in the arguments. 3. I understand more of the suffering servant than the average person cause I feel I need to be busy when holding my child for a nap, or its to cool for them to be out with me. 4. Let the words roll off like water on a ducks back, they have not walked in my shoes. 5. If I had a real job I could not serve in the same capacity as I do now.
Being a stay at home dad is awesome. I do the school run, sit with my daughter for 15 hours of dance a week (she is 5 btw) take both of my kids to appointments, wash dishes and do clothes too. It helps my wife out and she is actually jealous of me being at home. Anyone who knocks this lifestyle is someone that I don't want to spend time with. I get to be a father to my kids and my schedule is super flexible. We have enough to pay the bills and I can go wheeling during the week too with a little planning.

One thing I have learned over the past year to help diffuse arguments or tense moments is to praise God even when I am down and struggling. Always seems to lift me up and I gain a reassurance in knowing He will get me through. It is much easier to be negative and to focus on the down side of things (that is simply the devil trying to gain a foot hold and distract and kill what God is doing) then it is to praise God through our struggles and earthly troubles. God has already won, so the fight is over we just have to trust in Him and allow Him to move us into the new season He has for us. My wife and I have had a rough patch the past year or so, and when things come up between us if I alter my thought process to praise God first and cover what ever it is in prayer the arguments are gone and we become more united regardless of the circumstances that were troubling us. Keep strong and know God is control.

Re: Re: Casey Made me do it

lowbudgetjunk said:
Being a stay at home dad is awesome. I do the school run, sit with my daughter for 15 hours of dance a week (she is 5 btw) take both of my kids to appointments, wash dishes and do clothes too. It helps my wife out and she is actually jealous of me being at home. Anyone who knocks this lifestyle is someone that I don't want to spend time with. I get to be a father to my kids and my schedule is super flexible. We have enough to pay the bills and I can go wheeling during the week too with a little planning.

Completely agree, if you can I highly recommend it. The super flexible schedule makes it even better. Some weeks are easier to make things happen, but they are all worth the less than 2 full incomes to spend the extra time with the kids.

Hey brother I'm glad you have shared all of that with us.

I'am such a private person. It's really not even funny. I don't post pics here because I refuse to let tapatalk have access to my list of contacts and photo album. Lol

You are a good model for all of us man. Keep on truckin man. It's true that God does everything for good.

Plus there's gonna be a guy soon when you are through your storm that will need you. God is preparing you for that as well.

I start my new position a week from tomorrow. God has done some really cool things over the last few weeks. Same job, same money, different company, better title!!!

money_pit_yj said:
I start my new position a week from tomorrow. God has done some really cool things over the last few weeks. Same job, same money, different company, better title!!!

Congrats go ow make the wife some pumpkin spice !!! Glad you found a new company