• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chains/binders or Ratchet straps/axle loops?

Can you tie the rid in the middle ?

Straps going under the rig instead of outside ?

screamn56 said:
DOT requires one off each corner plus one for each attachment. So a backhoe requires 6 straps/chains. Guys that haul tractors with the front buckets up in the air are asking to get pulled over. Just some food for thought
So, yes, but I believe that applies to anything above 10K lbs. This is going from memory from like 07 last time I was confronted with it. Yes, 4 corners, one per implement. So a tracked skid steer, 5 chains. My 85xt at 8 K lbs, not so much. Again, my info might be outdated

It's still 4 corners above 10k. If I have a 5k piece of equipment at work Ill use 2 chains and 2 binders but If I'm hauling stuff for personal use with my pickup I use 4 straps even under 10k just to help cover my ass in case something goes wrong because I can't afford the kind of lawyers that my company can to help me in court.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Chains/binders or Ratchet straps/axle loops?

customcj7 said:
My problem is no rear D-ring. My rig hangs right over the dovetail on an 20' trailer. So going to the stake pockets to the side is literally going to the side with very little forward prevention. Great to keep the rig from sliding off when I criss-cross, but not great for if I hit something or suddenly stop. Plus my ratchet straps don't have a stake pocket chain or hook that fits on the inside so it can scoot around.

My trailer has a round bar for the ramps, and then underneath the trailer is a perfect ledge to run a hook to. I run the strap over the round ramp bar and then under to that ledge. It holds great, but I'm always worried that the hook is going to come undone. I know how to use ratchet straps (see posts above about wrapping on each other) and I get those things tight as hell on the rear axle. But damn I don't like having something that could pop off.

Other than that I use big ass ratchet straps that go around my axles and back to the tie points. I plan to get some straps with axle straps as well for other project cars where I need something simple.
Can you weld a D ring on the back? You can also run your rear strap forward and your front strap backwards and achieve the same idea like I think Enzo is saying.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

tonybolton said:
Sounds complicated.....just toss the strap over the top of the roll cage left to right and start crankin' down on the ratchet!
Ha. I had an old celica on tractors tires once. It was too low to the ground for me to hook up so i just threw a chain over the roof dead center and used a binder to go from fender to fender on the trailer. The trick was to catch it dead center of the b pillars cause it didnt have any doors and if the roof crushed any it would try to slide around. If i noticed it sliding i would stab the brakes and slide it to the front of the trailer.

I put a ratchet strap through the driver/passenger windows of a Cherokee I was hauling off for scrap. Didn't even roll the windows down, just busted'em out, tossed the hook to my buddy on the other side and started crankin!