• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chains/binders or Ratchet straps/axle loops?

tonybolton said:
Kite string? LOL
Cheapest straps i can get at lowes. One got cut on the ratchet end so instead of dropping 20 bucks on another one i tied a knot on top of the cut. I pulled up at chocco one time and the rear strap was completely gone off the buggy. No clue when it came off. :dunno:

BUG-E J said:
Cheapest straps i can get at lowes. One got cut on the ratchet end so instead of dropping 20 bucks on another one i tied a knot on top of the cut. I pulled up at chocco one time and the rear strap was completely gone off the buggy. No clue when it came off. :dunno:

A lawyer would love for you to run into someone. Little research on the internet and find this post after you got in a wreck and it's a cake walk of a court case for em.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
A lawyer would love for you to run into someone. Little research on the internet and find this post after you got in a wreck and it's a cake walk of a court case for em.

#fakemedia #fakenews

onepieceatatime said:

Let them sue me, they would just be practicing. #cantfindmoney

money_pit_yj said:
Let them sue me, they would just be practicing. #cantfindmoney
Yeah i have insurance on truck, trailer, and buggy. The rest i will mail a penny at a time if i can find them in the parking lot at work

Bebop said:
I have a Macs kit I bought heavily discounted at KOH last year.
Love it until it gets wet/muddy.

I hate nasty straps and will make a point to wash them when they get dirty (like this weekend).

I'm thinking about switching to J-hooks. It's annoying to get under a muddy buggy to put the loop around the axles and get all nasty.
That is why I went to J hooks. I got them off Amazon.

DOT requires one off each corner plus one for each attachment. So a backhoe requires 6 straps/chains. Guys that haul tractors with the front buckets up in the air are asking to get pulled over. Just some food for thought

I use to use chain and binders but I got tired of those dirty bastards so I went to the ratchet straps with hooks and axle straps, by far the best safest way to secure a rig imho, but don't let anybody tighten ur straps unless ya double check their work, last year a buddy helped me and I cross the rear straps, well he didn't let the ratchet wind enough slack in it to hold it tight and it came loose and the other strap pulled it and the rear of my rig almost slid off trailer In about 3 short miles, I will never let anyone tighten my straps again

That brings up another good point about strapping rigs down that I see a lot of people do wrong. Don't pull all the slack out of your strap through the ratchet and then start cranking on it. They hold a lot better if you crank some more strap through the ratchet and give it something to bite too.

Re: Re: Chains/binders or Ratchet straps/axle loops?

tonybolton said:
What if you just winch the **** out of it down to the front of the trailer? :)
Might work with a rig on sticky tires but your plastic tires will need all the help they can get.

I can see someone from here using this defense in in court. "Well ya see your honor, I didn't have the $60 to buy a good set of straps because I had just spent $3 grand on sticky tires and figured them sumbitches wouldn't let it slide off the trailer."

Its not about the money its about the adventure. You know what me and austin powers have in common. A middle name.....

Next your gonna tell me i should use my safety chains on my gooseneck. I dont want that thing loosely teathered to me if it comes loose! :****:

onepieceatatime said:
That brings up another good point about strapping rigs down that I see a lot of people do wrong. Don't pull all the slack out of your strap through the ratchet and then start cranking on it. They hold a lot better if you crank some more strap through the ratchet and give it something to bite too.

that's exactly what my buddy did and never again

I always used the cheapo 2"x27' ratchet straps from Tractor Supply. I recently started working at Ancra that sells nothing but cargo control products. I picked up some 'samples' of the ratchet strap with integrated axle loop. Only used them one time so far, but wow, I wish I would have spent the money a long time ago. I found it much easier to hook up.

https://consumer.ancracargo.com/product/8-x-2-tie-back-strap-black/

BUG-E J said:
Next your gonna tell me i should use my safety chains on my gooseneck. I dont want that thing loosely teathered to me if it comes loose! :****:

:rolf:

My problem is no rear D-ring. My rig hangs right over the dovetail on an 20' trailer. So going to the stake pockets to the side is literally going to the side with very little forward prevention. Great to keep the rig from sliding off when I criss-cross, but not great for if I hit something or suddenly stop. Plus my ratchet straps don't have a stake pocket chain or hook that fits on the inside so it can scoot around.

My trailer has a round bar for the ramps, and then underneath the trailer is a perfect ledge to run a hook to. I run the strap over the round ramp bar and then under to that ledge. It holds great, but I'm always worried that the hook is going to come undone. I know how to use ratchet straps (see posts above about wrapping on each other) and I get those things tight as hell on the rear axle. But damn I don't like having something that could pop off.

Other than that I use big ass ratchet straps that go around my axles and back to the tie points. I plan to get some straps with axle straps as well for other project cars where I need something simple.