• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chassis paint

hjpcummins

Since I'm not planing on doing any powder coat on my first buggy, I would like some advice / input on what everyone eels is using?

I've seen a few here use brushed on rustoleum hammered and looks pretty good for what it is.

Just curious what else is out ther

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never painted a chassis before but done quite a few trailers and even a couple truck with TSC acrylic enamel. It lays down good and have matching rattle cans you can touch it up with. It's cheap too.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

There's a paint called chassis saver. Shits hard as nails, fairly inexpensive and comes in semi gloss black, gloss black and silver. And it goes directly on bare metal so you don't have to spend money on primer . You do have to have a spray gun to apply, it doesn't come in spray bomb. May be worth checking into. thumb.gif

June dog said:
There's a paint called chassis saver. Shits hard as nails, fairly inexpensive and comes in semi gloss black, gloss black and silver. And it goes directly on bare metal so you don't have to spend money on primer . You do have to have a spray gun to apply, it doesn't come in spray bomb. May be worth checking into. thumb.gif

DO NOT USE CHASSIS SAVER! I bought some from a local paint store after they recommended it to paint a utility trailer. About a year later, the shiny gloss black turned into a dull, chalky black finish and comes off on your hands. I went back and asked the store what was up and they replied "Oh you can't use it for top coat because it doesn't have UV protection" WTF did you sell it to me for???

Watching this one. Ive always just used the ole spray bomb Rustoleum semi gloss black. Im a sucker for hammered silver so thats what the accents are painted. Will be the same on the truggy unless I find a better way of doing it. Yeah it scrapes off but get a can and hit it again.

Haven't had that problem with mine ,but I did paint my frame with it and not the body. We used the shiny on my dad's old truck about 5 years ago when we restored it but once again we used on the chassis so I don't guess the sun don't hit it. It's shiny and still looks good. So maybe not a good idea for a buggy but of you use on what it's intended for its good stuff. Did they sell you the activated that goes with it ? I've never heard of it wiping off on anyone's hands.

June dog said:
Haven't had that problem with mine ,but I did paint my frame with it and not the body. We used the shiny on my dad's old truck about 5 years ago when we restored it but once again we used on the chassis so I don't guess the sun don't hit it. It's shiny and still looks good. So maybe not a good idea for a buggy but of you use on what it's intended for its good stuff. Did they sell you the activated that goes with it ? I've never heard of it wiping off on anyone's hands.

Yeah, they sold me everything to do the job.

I guess what I should have said was don't use it to paint an entire chassis exposed to constant sunlight. The paint is awesome stuff and works wonders when it's used in the correct application. Frames that are covered by sheet metal and bodies are what it's designed for.

I do know that if you get it on your hands it takes forever to wear off. I still have Tshirts stained with the stuff.

For the budget minded wheeler, I've had good luck with the Valspar Truck and Trailer enamel from Tractor Supply. You can get it in quarts, gallons and aerosol. The trick is to add the hardener to it, which they sell as well.

I painted a bumper with it one time and everybody thought it was powder coated. :****:

The stuff for Tractor Supply is awesome, painted the exo cage on my old ride with it and it lasted for about four years. Didn't use the hardener, but I rolled it a few times and it took the rocks and sliding on its side well.

I like to use a factory color that is offered in a spray can by Dupli Color. I then have a single stage paint such as PPG Concept mixed in the same paint code and spray the chassis. Any scratches, repairs, or future mods can then be touched up with Spray Paint.

I shot my whole chassis with an air gun. It's a bitch to shoot a chassis and you just have to plan on painting the visible areas last. I painted it this way as I know ill mod the chassis and repair **** through time and power coat sucks ass for this. I can use the same color out of a rattle can for touch ups. Already have as I've added some more tabs.

i used rustoleum hammered silver and rolled it on with a paint roller sounds crazy but it turned out real good and if you sratch it spray over it!!! had about $40 in the whole chassis and some good friends to help so about a case of beer!! :drinkers:

Re: Re: Re: Chassis paint

natedawgxj said:
i used rustoleum hammered silver and rolled it on with a paint roller sounds crazy but it turned out real good and if you sratch it spray over it!!! had about $40 in the whole chassis and some good friends to help so about a case of beer!! :drinkers:

Same way I painted the bumpers and sliders on the Tacoma. Sprayed the areas a roller couldn't get.

John Deere tractor stores sells a gallon of there chassis paint for around 36 bucks! its semi gloss and is hard as hell when dry, and looks good

Re:

I typically use Case IH enamel on my stuff, does require primer but isn't all that pricey and holds up very well. I have also used the John Deere version and it is not even close to the quality of what I normally used. I used the same procedures and equipment with both products and the JD paint took forever to fully cure and it was still rather soft even after a few weeks. One season later all the paint on the under side of the axle was wore off. The Case paint was only gone were rocks had gouged the metal and only dulled every where else.

The truck frame I used the Case paint on looked just as good 5 years later as the day I sprayed it and it takes a wire wheel a few seconds to strip it off.

I also have had good results with Rustoleum Industrial spray bombs and Krypton "Rust Tough" for small jobs when I don't feel like getting out the spray gun.

Latest posts