• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cherokees?

417chevy

Thinking about buying a Cherokee to build found one without any axles and no drive train question is how hard is an ls swap in them and what suspension works the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be easier to build a chassis with the drivetrain attached cut the floor out of the Cherokee and set the body over the chassis. Plating, welding and strengthening the unibody to hold up is a major pita.

Asking about doing an ls swap, and what suspension set up works best is irrelevant to you getting a cherokee. It takes plenty labor no matter what platform you have and you also wouldn't be the first or last to do it. Info is out there. I'll tell you to buy ruffstuff frame stiffeners for it, plate everything else you touch. Better yet, cut out entire rig except outer skins, build a buggy inside of it.

jpony645 said:
Don't think I've ever seen one with a V8. Probably because of the faux-frame........

What happened to the S10?
I'm thinkin about building a Cherokee or something with more room seems like I always have a few friends that want go wheelin that don't have rigs

417chevy said:
I'm thinkin about building a Cherokee or something with more room seems like I always have a few friends that want go wheelin that don't have rigs

You got Ol' Blue.....put their asses in the bed.

Cherokees are good beginner rigs but you have to wheel them knowing where the break points are or you will always be broke. I wheeled an 01 for a couple of years. It was all stock, 4.0, auto, D35 rear with limited slip and a D30 front with an Aussie locker on 31" TSLs. It was fun but it was limited. Sure you can put one tons under them but because they are a unibody and don't have a real frame, you will either need to plate the entire thing or it will be all twisted up. I once parked mine with a tire up on a rock for a poser shot. My doors never shut right afterward. That little bit twisted the **** out of it.

Cherokees are great budget rigs that will take a pretty good beating and you can bring the whole crew. But me personally wouldn't every put that kinda money in one. Buddy had one with a 4.0 and ford 3/4 axles and beat the **** outta it and was a good jeep. I've got coupe other buddies I wheel with and they wheel Cherokees but they have plated there unibodys pretty good. And jus running Dana 44s. So I wouldn't go to extreme with a Cherokee.

I'm going to say skip the cherokee and I wheel one. What's that tell you? Too much work for not enough reward to swap an ls in one. Find a 4runner and throw one in it. Already has a frame and about the same amount of room. Plenty of days I wish I had never started on mine but I'm in too deep to sell it and make anything so I keep wrenching.

Re:

I started out in a Cherokee on 35's, all chromos, locked on both ends, and it did well for what it was, but when it became obvious that I wanted to get into the harder stuff the lack of frame on the Cherokee made me decide to start over on something with a frame. The way i see it is that I have all this time and money into my yj, and if I take a hard roll and trash the tub then I can just swap to another tub and not lose much of my work. Whereas with a Cherokee if you twist it up bad or crash it then you have to start all over as you can't just throw a new tub on it

I had a grand Cherokee, locked front and rear on 35's. I never did anything too crazy in it. But, going down even light trails you could hear it creaking and popping due to no frame. None of the doors shut right and the frame side upper control arm mounts ripped out twice. I eventually gave up, swapped it all to leafs, and plated the frame with .25" from front to rear. Honestly it did pretty well after that. It was heavy as hell. But overall did well.

The Luke. Lebanon, TN

kushKrawlin said:
My dad says my great grand pa was full blooded Cherokee!! Which means that I'm part Cherokee .. So it must be badass. :****:

I think JD got rid of his Toyota to ride a Cherokee... :rolf:

I started in a grand Cherokee. I ran tons and 42s. I personally wheeled that thing hard. I didn't have these issues with the unit body that guys speak of. My issues came from hanging the body on nasty climbs whether it was trees poking out windows or boulders grabbin the hatch.

I had a great experience with my grand minus the full body irritations.

https://youtu.be/rqsVsfX5uNQ

Bare with me, it was only the 2nd time that rig had been on the trail and only my fourth time ever in the seat. Its boring yes. Lol

Latest posts