• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chevy 205 flange debate

XJ savage

I've got a Chevy 205 tcase I'll be using in a rig and was debating on if I should keep the 30 spline front flange. Is it possible to cram a 1350 CV on it and is that something that a driveshaft shop will even have parts for?? I know I can go with a stock size front driveshaft (3r something?) but seems to me it's only a 1310. Or does that seem to hold up well? Id like to find out whats the best thing to do with what I got cuz I can always rob the 32 spline front output off a Ford case and swap it in but that's gonna take a lot of time finding that stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated. For reference, this is in a 4500 ish lb rig with a mild 6.0, auto, tons, 40's.

I've been doing some research on the same thing, as I happen to have a bunch of 3R cv joint driveshafts laying around.

From what I have READ: (don't know how true it is, because I've never broke driveshafts in any of the chevys or fords i've owned)

- 30 spline Chevy front output is plenty strong and not really worth upgrading to 32 spline.
- 3R ujoint is about the same as a 1330 ujoint (same width cross as a 1350, but smaller caps)
- 3R CV "H" and centering ball/pin is junk and is what will break
- 1350 CV will bolt up to 3R flange some machine work to the stock 1350 part (can't confirm as I don't have a 1350 CV handy)

Here is the flange side yoke of a 1350 CV to bolt directly to a 3R flange:
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p1099_chevy__gmc_4x4_1350_series_double_cardan_cv_flange_yoke.html

Here is the flage side yoke of a "stock" 1350 CV, there are 3 different one listed, but they all have smaller pilots than a 3R, and are threaded for bolts
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p1048_ford_1350_series_double_cardan_cv_flange_yoke_for_2.687_pilo.html

According to specs, it looks like the bolt pattern is the same, But the 3R flange has a 3.125" pilot, and the tcase flange is threaded rather than the driveshaft flange yoke.

So if you could get ahold of a 1350 cv cheap from the pull a part or something, it could be modified to fit the 3R flange.

Bugej has this same thing he broke it at shamrock went back the same with new spicer joints and the cage from some other cv? Our driver shaft guy said if he breaks it again that he would modify a ford cv with 1350's so it would work with his flange! He has maybe 200hp doubler auto and 44's 4800lb rig

You can get cv eliminator flange yoke from Denny's driveshafts for a 1350 and run a carrier bearing. That was the only way I could get 1350's on mine. Lot of people I ride with run a carrier and don't have any problems. Have a part number if you need it.

al1tonyota said:
Bugej has this same thing he broke it at shamrock went back the same with new spicer joints and the cage from some other cv? Our driver shaft guy said if he breaks it again that he would modify a ford cv with 1350's so it would work with his flange! He has maybe 200hp doubler auto and 44's 4800lb rig
Yeah he said that you can take a cv out of an f250 that has 1350's. Cut off just the flange part so you no longer have a cv. Build a front driveshaft out of that. He swears he thinks the u joint closest to the case spit a cap as much slack as the rest of the joints in it had and he said the cv was still good but the ears were stretched from what looked like u joint failure. He had me buy solid spicer joints and built me a shaft that he says will take it. I trust him so we shall see.

I've heard rumor that the front driveshaft from a Dodge 25-3500 years '03-'06 will also work. Its a factory 1350 CV with flange that supposedly will bolt right up to the 205. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

I was under my truck to change the fuel filters on my '05 F350 this morning, it looks like it has a 1350 or 1330 cv shaft in the front with about a 6" slip yoke

Latest posts