• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CJ5 steering column wiring

DeleriousII

Down da bayou!
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the column of a 1981, or similar, CJ5? When the jeep was torn down the wires going to the column were cut and now we have no idea what they are for. The main purpose for this question is that I would like to be able to start the jeep from the key on the column. I have searched a good bit and have found some stuff, but none of it very useful. We tried with a meter to find out which was hot all the time and which was hot only when the key was on blah blah.....but ended up with nothing.

DeleriousII said:
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the column of a 1981, or similar, CJ5? When the jeep was torn down the wires going to the column were cut and now we have no idea what they are for. The main purpose for this question is that I would like to be able to start the jeep from the key on the column. I have searched a good bit and have found some stuff, but none of it very useful. We tried with a meter to find out which was hot all the time and which was hot only when the key was on blah blah.....but ended up with nothing.

Isn't there a rod attatched to a switch at the end of the column for the Acc. Run. and start function? Of course the other end of the rod is attatched to the actual key cylinder/switch.

I do remember seeing a rod there but didn't pay much attention to it because i was trying to read the meter while turning the key switch. Thanks and I will try to get a better look at it tonight. I originally thought the wires that ran along the bottom of the column was what i needed to check.

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
Isn't there a rod attatched to a switch at the end of the column for the Acc. Run. and start function? Of course the other end of the rod is attatched to the actual key cylinder/switch.

Its attached to your Rod Motha Licka molaugh