• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coil over question and info needed!!

smittybronco

Ok so on my buggy it has 18in foa 2.5's.. My question and concern is, when it flexes or unloads the front end to where the limit straps are tight the cup or whatever it's called at the bottom of the coilover that the spring sits on will come out. Now I know nothing about the buggy for the most part because I got it already turn key and I also don't know anything about coilovers. I'm not sure if it has the correct length springs or if it needs shorter straps or what so I need some help guys.
cc322658de70f995bc9458c2f9c2f5ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A couple things i would do is verify what length springs are on it now. Make sure they are correct. Next i would fully droop put the buggy and see if the limit straps keep the springs from falling out. Im betting they stretched. Check the preload as well.

Re:

I haven't been able to put it on a lift or anything to get a full droop against the limit straps to see. Just when it flexes on a trail or something. It seems to still have some tension on the springs with the strap fairly tight.

temporary fix would adding some preload at full extension, also another would be a tender coil on top that basically has little to no spring weight but keeps tension on the retainer cup

Re:

When y'all say add preload what are y'all meaning by that? Is it a spring change or adjustment or.... ?

I'd run a shorter limit strap, they're prone to stretching both in use and over time. The shorter the strap the better.

Prelaod is an adjustment that can be made with the coilovers on the rig. The threaded adjuster on the top of the coil is cranked down to compress the springs some. This will in turn raise the ride height some.

A good explanation can be found here:
http://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/how-to-measure-set-spring-preload/

Ryan (TRD above) knows his stuff and has a wealth of info on his website (^^) on how to set up coilovers.