• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover mount question

stroyer

I'm getting ready to position my coilover mount locations and just need some advice....

Shock has 38" ext / 23.5" col length. I'm shooting for 5" of up travel. Does that mean mount coil @ 33" position or do you control that height by other means? I'll be running air bumps, as well.

Again, in my first build, so would love to hear all the different setups...

i would suggest spliting your travel, if you can, 7 up, 7 down. figure out your ride height, then how much up travel you can use before anything will contact the chassis, motor, etc. then you can set up your bump stops to limit the uptravel at that point. i would have the bumps bottom a little before the shocks. also the coil over angles will affect travel #'s some but mainly dont cut yourself short on up travel. even on a trail rig you don't want to be bottoming out all the time or having to run a stiff spring to compensate.

Expanding on this, I'll be mostly trail riding with mine with occasional dunes.

Will 2" shocks be good, or do I need to step up to the 2.5" with tons?

i'd be more concerned about the weight of the chassis or vehicle body the shocks will be supporting. not really the axles.

my buggy is just shy of 3800. i'm running 2.0 remote resi coilovers. if i was gonna race it i'd step up to 2.5's or bypasses