• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Compact 4wd truck for a college kid.

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Got a cousin whose going to Ohio State. Real good dude, served 4 years in the Army, did a couple deployments, paid for a Honda Accord to get him from Columbus to Ft. Bragg and do his college commuting. Loved the car but like most young men he wants a truck to do man ****. His Accord was recently stolen by a local heroine addict who played Grand Theft Auto with it and totaled it. He's got a car to get him by for now but asked me about Toyotas and other compact 4wd trucks that might fit his need to get some decent mileage/ haul his Mt bike and kayak around to live his adventurous type life style. I don't know much about the compact truck market but I figured some on here would. As far as budget goes I'm not sure if he's gonna try and save 5-6 grand to pay cash for something a little older or he mentioned something around 2011-2012 and financing. I do know he would prefer a manual transmission though. Any ideas on what to look for?

Toyota Tacoma. Hands down the best compact pickup for the money. Reliable, good mpg. Don't let high miles scare you, if they have had a good maintenance record. The 4 bangers have pretty good power, but not a hot rod by any means. The v6's are pretty peppy, but not as good mpg. I've owned Toyota's my whole life up until last November. I'll own another one, one day.

Toyota or nissan. Both are awesome trucks and will last forever. Unfortunately, if you want a good truck in that size, foreign is the way to go.

I'd try to find a X-cab, 2.7L 4Cyl, TRD Tacoma with the rear locker if I were in the market. I'd buy an older truck and not pay over 10K for one. They are great trucks all around, he won't be disappointed. Unless he is dating a fat chick with fat friends. Then he will want more room.

You can usually buy a full size truck for what a Toyota will cost, Toyota are good trucks, but way over rated! Gas mileage no better than V8, and half the size, but whatever a person wants I guess.

zukimaster said:
You can usually buy a full size truck for what a Toyota will cost, Toyota are good trucks, but way over rated! Gas mileage no better than V8, and half the size, but whatever a person wants I guess.

Very true. The trucks I mentioned will actually get 20+ MPG though if that matters. If it's not a deal breaker get an x-cab z71 with a 5.3. Pre DOD. Great trucks and get 16-17 MPG.

Re: Re: Compact 4wd truck for a college kid.

zukimaster said:
I agree.

My DD/fishing truck/light wheeler is a 96 Tacoma that my wife bought when she was in high school (10 years ago).... People offer me more for it now than she gave for it.

A mid 2000s 1/2 ton Chevy will be less expensive, get better milage, and be a more capable DD/hauler/etc than a Tacoma.

I love Toyotas, but they are for wheeling! If I had more than a 5 mile commute, and didn't have a crew cab duramax for a backup DD/tow rig then no way I'd choose a Taco for my only vehicle.

I'm gonna say Nissan Frontier or a hardbody in the 4 cyl flavor. I've been to the engine plant, the dyno those motors on kill mode, VERY few have bit the dust. Nissan is #1 in the jap truck market to me.

Just tell him don't buy a Ridgeline or we'll call him queer. :****:

I've had all sorts of Toyota's since I've been driving and I'm currently driving a crew cab 4x4 with the 4.0 v6. I actually get a constant high 18 low 19mpg out of it around town. It's not a v8 by today's standards but at nearly 250hp it's not lacking in power either. I've had friends who had both nissans and toys and most all will attest that the nissans are not hardly the trucks that the toyota's are. I have no opinion on that since I've never had a nissan to compair it to. The worst and best thing about the toyota's is they hold there value better than most anything on the road so buying sorta sucks but if keep in good shape selling one is quick and lucrative!

Bought a 1998 Toyota Tacoma single cab with the 2.7 3rz engine 4x4 manual new in 1998.

17 years and 261,018 miles later, I've replaced a clutch at 198K, turned the rotors and replaced brake pads. That it besides oil, gas and water. By far the most maintenance free vehicle of anyone I've known in the past 20 years. I do know one guy that has near 350K on a 92 with about the same record. Both original motors as well.

I still drive it 75 miles roundtrip on the interstate daily.

Toyota Tacoma hand down best truck I've ever owned I had a 2007 4 door 4.0 6 speed with 6in lift 35s an it got 17 mpg but it also has 456 gears to help with the big tires. I loved the truck, but ex police officer ran a stop sign an totaled it out. Then I went to a Chevy 1500 put 35s an gets the worst gas mpg ever. I really miss my Tacoma. Can't go wrong with a Toyota little pricey but you get your money's worth.

A few guys I work with run the V6 Tacomas and like them a lot. Good quality but not good gas mileage. Mid to high teens at best running around. Way worse with a lift and tires. Two that had the Frontiers were getting low teens for mpg! And the trucks started falling apart after 130,000 miles. 5.3 Chevy would be my first choice and Tacoma a close second.

I guess Ill be the odd man out and say 98+ Ranger. the 4.0L is a super reliable motor and the ranger is a nice solid platform.

On older ones 80's and 90's you have to watch the frames they usually rust out in front of the leaf spring mount. Also make sure the timing chain is replaced around 120K they will start to wear a hole through the cover and you will get coolant in your oil. Those are the main issues I came across on the half a dozen or so I have owned. Tough little trucks for sure.

Killing a Toyota Part 1 - Top Gear - BBC

Toyota pickups are the best small/midsize option no question in my mind. I drove an 89 22re 5spd 4x4 all through hs and college. My roomate drove a tacoma 2.7 5spd 4x4 and it was a flawless truck also. In factory form, those trucks are so tuff it's not even funny.

1500 Chevy & rock on... More room, better ride, more comfortable, you can drive them 5 years & sell them for what you paid, WAY MORE power, better real fuel mileage than a Yota or Nissan v6, you can tow with it, etc. etc.

I vote nissan hardbody or as previously stated fullsize chevy. Drove a 88 nissan p/u senior year of high school and 5 years of college, got 22-26mpg depending on how I was driving. Worked out of it one summer mowing yards and got 19-20mpg loaded with trailer. Had a buddy with a 2wd fullsize chevy had 5sp and v8 that got 20ish mpg depending on how he drove it.

Another vote for the Tacoma. Had a 97 get the snot beat out of it on some barely paved roads for years. Never had any issues with the 4wd or the manual trans. Would definitely get another!