• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Considering a Rebuild

Todd1803

So I'm contemplating rebuilding my clod into a "Stick" clone. As much as I love my truck the way it is, the breakover advantages are just too great. For those of you who have built these things, where did you get the big ball joints for the end of the chassis? Did you you use solid rod or tube for the backbone, and what size? I was actually thinking about using solid Delrin rod for the backbone, just to be different, but I'm not sure I would gain anything from it.

Mike - did you buy the Stick, or build your own?

I B - I'd like to spend some time studying Keith's truck when I get ready to build, so I can get started in the right direction.

Todd1803 said:
So I'm contemplating rebuilding my clod into a "Stick" clone. As much as I love my truck the way it is, the breakover advantages are just too great. For those of you who have built these things, where did you get the big ball joints for the end of the chassis? Did you you use solid rod or tube for the backbone, and what size? I was actually thinking about using solid Delrin rod for the backbone, just to be different, but I'm not sure I would gain anything from it.

Mike - did you buy the Stick, or build your own?

I B - I'd like to spend some time studying Keith's truck when I get ready to build, so I can get started in the right direction.

I know how you feel, I will be doing the same to the Red Neck, Mike made a clone of Keiths truck, between Mike, Devlin & me We have plenty of tube.

This link will helphttp://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15809

I B..

What IB said I have about 14' of the stuff so dont buy it. You can get the rod ends from mcmastercarr. I think the link will give you the part numbers if not let me know and I will dig them up.

IB if you are changing over to a stick also, I would like to know if you would make me some of your shock brackets as I to am considering going to a stick design.

IB - Let me know if you are interested in doing a building party when you get ready to build your new Redneck. I'm guessing I will need some help. I guess it all starts with the ball joints, so I better get them on order soon.

Thanks for the heads up on the tube, I'll be in touch when I get ready to build.

i actually have a homebuilt stick, im not using it anymore either. maybe i can work a trade with ya.. all it is is the backbone.. 2 heims, mounting plates, and shock towers. let me know. I am currently building a tuber and I need some little things here and there.

Attachments

• P9207479.JPG
    P9207479.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Ditto what IB said.
I still have about 6' of tubing.
Let me know when you guys have the build party.

Been doin' alot of thinkin' since the ORCRC comp.
Though my rig wasn't built for some of the gates on the courses we ran. There are some improvements I could be taking advantage of.
So I'm itchin' to do a total build up on my 2.2.

BTW. Torry. Your 2.2 is badazz. I'd like to drive it next time we meet.
I have a few ideas for mine.

I have to ask ;) are you looking to sell the NN?

Just wondering...I have clod axles tha i ahve never run(had them almost a year and a half)...:mad: lol

Peter - Once I do the rebuild, I probably don't have a use for it. Not sure what links I might need to use in the new configuration, and I think I want to hang onto the upper link mounts.

If you are looking for a chassis, you might check in with Mike. He had the carbon fiber NN, not sure if he has any plans for it.

Todd1803 said:
Peter - Once I do the rebuild, I probably don't have a use for it. Not sure what links I might need to use in the new configuration, and I think I want to hang onto the upper link mounts.

If you are looking for a chassis, you might check in with Mike. He had the carbon fiber NN, not sure if he has any plans for it.

I love the Cf NN, But at this point I am looking for some inspiration! ;)

And who is Mike(a know a few guy's names, is he the camera man?).

Todd1803 said:
Mike is the camera man, otherwise known as SMR4Runner.

Thank you. I thought that might be him. But was not sure!

I think it was you or it could have been someone else who collected out contact info for WARcrc. But could we get a email with everyones name, Nic and email addy?

Hey Mike - Did you have any issues using the Aggressor steering setup with your "Almost a Stick" compared to the NN?

Thanks!, and thanks for the offer on the tube.

Not really.

However because the links will be connected to the backbone, it will be at a much higher angle. Torry avoided this by going longer links. I kept the link lengths about the same as the NN chassis links and bending them for more clearance.

I will do something on whatever I build. I think I'm going to pick up the chassis from Knok2222, but I will probably be building a new backbone for it. Right now it's at 16", and I think I want it at 17, maybe 17.5.

Right now Im stoked that I just picked up a couple servos off of EBay. An Airtronics 94358 (200 oz.), and a JR DZ8550 (Digital, 188 oz). One for the back of the Clod, one for the 2.2. No more 645MG's!!!!

BTW - Peter, your list is on the way tonight.

Todd1803 said:
I will do something on whatever I build. I think I'm going to pick up the chassis from Knok2222, but I will probably be building a new backbone for it. Right now it's at 16", and I think I want it at 17, maybe 17.5.

Right now Im stoked that I just picked up a couple servos off of EBay. An Airtronics 94358 (200 oz.), and a JR DZ8550 (Digital, 188 oz). One for the back of the Clod, one for the 2.2. No more 645MG's!!!!

BTW - Peter, your list is on the way tonight.

thanks for the incoming email. Hopefully it will help me keep the guys straight.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200041133617&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

And I ordered 2 of these ^

They are rated for 4.8-8.4v. so they should do well. They were listed in a thread at RCC. And for the torque and cost I had to try. They should be here this week.

Got the stick chassi at my house now. The links that were on it were 6" or so. worked really well with the max shocks that were on it. anyway man, consider it yours with all the plates and heims.

ronbeck said:
thanks for the incoming email. Hopefully it will help me keep the guys straight.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200041133617&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

And I ordered 2 of these ^

They are rated for 4.8-8.4v. so they should do well. They were listed in a thread at RCC. And for the torque and cost I had to try. They should be here this week.

That's the servo I have on my 2.2. Todd gave me the heads up on it back when I was starting my build. Seems to work pretty good and someone said "nice servo" during my 2nd run last comp.

Todd- How much of you wanting to do a rebuild is because you just love building these things vs the need to? hehe. I love messin around with em too.
speaking of messin around. I'm workin on a project and I have a need for a normal servo. Do you possibly have one I might be able to trade you something for? I can trade you back that futuba jr tx or something. It's not for steering so I won't need a super torquer or anything.

Talk with ya later.

Latest posts