• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Craigslist scammers....please explain this to me.

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Why in the fawk do so many people text you every day after you list your item on Craigslist? I mean what can they can possibly gain from this? If you are literate enough to create a CL listing, you should know the basic common personal info that you should never give to anybody. For as many texts i have gotten each time I list something, it has to happen to everybody across the millions of CL listings, so their has to be a shitload of folks sending these scammy texts, all day everyday. With such a volume of people doing it, there's obviously some sort of incentive to continue doing so, but what? How can they obtain enough to warrant the time put in? Most texts I get just say "I'm interested in your item, please email me at [email protected]" what the hell can they gain from you emailing them? Are they collecting email addresses and selling them to marketing companies or something?

Just pisses me off. I decided to fawk with one tonight. I want to text him 500 times a day every day, just to piss him off since he had the audacity to bother me first. Damn idiots.

49f27035302876b45b3375a8ab854d93.jpg

5d92d9960a14deda7ba6eb030cbe23fb.jpg

749cace207cdffbab6e008d92ae2ea67.jpg

ac1f764e474273e3e5b1ad90722dba96.jpg

3bb6c57eb6b438a705f33e8f6fefc628.jpg

I had one I asked them if their mom was sad. They asked why. I said doesn't she know you steal from people for a living. They got pissed and left. Lol

Re: Re: Craigslist scammers....please explain this to me.

JRoach321 said:
It's a numbers game. 1 out of 1000 will give them their PayPal information.
What can they do with your paypal info, it's just your email address? Hack it? Is that why they want you to email them in the texts that say "email me, im interested in your item"? Makes sense I guess if all they need is the user email to hack paypal and navigate through your bank/card details.

The text bombs are only a minor inconvenience that I'm easily willing to overlook for free advertising, I just wanted to know exactly what their little plan involved. Probably a bunch of little mathalete Asian fawkers with tiny little Asian dicks. Thieving dickwads.

Re: Re: Craigslist scammers....please explain this to me.

ecoast said:
don't post a # and you won't be texted bombed

use the CL relay mail

easy
Half the time if I'm looking at buying something and they dont have a number listed, I don't even bother emailing because I don't want to have to wait on them to check their email and respond, and just go on to the next listing.

Re: Re: Re: Craigslist scammers....please explain this to me.

TacomaJD said:
Half the time if I'm looking at buying something and they dont have a number listed, I don't even bother emailing because I don't want to have to wait on them to check their email and respond, and just go on to the next listing.
I wouldn't put a number on there. If you have a smart phone, it like getting a text when an email is sent. I get emails instant.

The people who are dumb enough to email them directly are the same ones who will have something like their dog's name as their PayPal password.

Do a little FB snooping, and Hacked..

A while back when i was trying to sell my fj40 i had a craigslist email in my junk file and it sounded just like a scammer, horrible english and grammer, i was just about to tell the guy to ****off, but something told me to write him back normally, long story short, he wound up buying the damned thing. He was a freaking trucker trying to write on his phone driving down the interstate :****:

This should be obvious to most but there's that 1 in 1,000 that might fall for it. Never accept a western union or similar payment. They forge the crap out of them. Also, if they offer you extra for your troubles, that should be a red flag as well.

ecoast said:
don't post a # and you won't be texted bombed

use the CL relay mail

easy

I will not even look at rest of add if no contact info is there.

Also why can you buy everything on there including women but not a gun?

There are tons of things that can be gained by a phone number. It's super easy and cheap to own decrypting software. It can be set to cycle through adds to grab numbers and immediately relayed to a calling center or wherever the program is commanded to send the info. Having email address info opens a huge misunderstood door. I would bet 99% of users on this board use a single email address to pay bills, buy from Amazon, check their banking info, transfer funds, order a new credit card etc the operations are almost endless. Most people don't even think twice about entering their personal info online. So for someone who has 366,000 phone numbers or email addresses to contact and attempt to scam, the percentage of people who will cooperate is freakin stupid high. Considering.

The info is used for all kinds of crafty things. Mainly, there is pirate software that can be encrypted and placed in an email to you that will store and trace key strokes, ip addresses, site visits. You name it and it can be done by a dude in Sweden chilling in the mountains.

They use it to create fake identities as well. Typically when you enter personal info online when applying for credit cards or ordering info, servers are able to tell immediately if an address is valid or not. So when you can plug in a valid address, the fake identity process becomes a little easier.

Encrypting your number helps a lot. Helps
When it comes to Clist adds. Then a person actually has to read your add then attempt to get a hold of you. Most of those scammers, were sent a copy of your add only because it holds your contact info.

Plus something you should never forget, how do you think C list even exists without charging you? In every city in the world that has Internet?

They sell your info man. It is a billion on top of billion dollar biz.

Ask Landspeeder

At work

LightBnDr said:
There are tons of things that can be gained by a phone number. It's super easy and cheap to own decrypting software. It can be set to cycle through adds to grab numbers and immediately relayed to a calling center or wherever the program is commanded to send the info. Having email address info opens a huge misunderstood door. I would bet 99% of users on this board use a single email address to pay bills, buy from Amazon, check their banking info, transfer funds, order a new credit card etc the operations are almost endless. Most people don't even think twice about entering their personal info online. So for someone who has 366,000 phone numbers or email addresses to contact and attempt to scam, the percentage of people who will cooperate is freakin stupid high. Considering.

The info is used for all kinds of crafty things. Mainly, there is pirate software that can be encrypted and placed in an email to you that will store and trace key strokes, ip addresses, site visits. You name it and it can be done by a dude in Sweden chilling in the mountains.

They use it to create fake identities as well. Typically when you enter personal info online when applying for credit cards or ordering info, servers are able to tell immediately if an address is valid or not. So when you can plug in a valid address, the fake identity process becomes a little easier.

Encrypting your number helps a lot. Helps
When it comes to Clist adds. Then a person actually has to read your add then attempt to get a hold of you. Most of those scammers, were sent a copy of your add only because it holds your contact info.

Plus something you should never forget, how do you think C list even exists without charging you? In every city in the world that has Internet?

They sell your info man. It is a billion on top of billion dollar biz.

Ask Landspeeder

At work

That's the answer I was looking for!