• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Custom frame for a Bronco II

tecwizrd

Hello everyone. While I have been a member for a while now, I have not felt a need to post. But, now I have a reason to do so.

I have been working on a build up of a Bronco II, it is a fairly ambitious project. About the only thing that will be left of the original vehicle is the body, My plan is a sbf, zf5, d44 and a 9" (maybe tons if I can find a donor). I have it stripped down to the shell and setting on stands.

Today I picked up some 2x4 .120 wall tube to start a custom frame, and thought I would ask you guys for some advice. After thinking on it a bit more, I am not sure if the 2x4 will be the right choice for a frame. Since you guys build such awesome machines and beat the holy living stuffing out of em I thought I would ask for some input.

Some reasons for wanting a new/custom frame are...

1. I want one :)

2. It will give me a much better foundation to mount the axles,
shocks and other items. The front section of these frames
are not straight pieces by any stretch of imagination.

3. I can widen the frame to alleviate some of the clearance
issues these trucks have when swapping in the v8 and non-
stock transmission.

So... What would you guys recommend for a frame material.

Nothing wrong with square tubing for a main frame. Lots of folks run it and is actually easier to build off of than round.

Re:

Thanks for the reply.

I must have had a brain fart while typing that post out. I did not get my main concern put down in the post. Do you think .120 wall will be sufficient, or should I go for some thicker material?

If I went with a .120 wall main frame, I would end up plating all of the points where anything ties into the main frame so it didn't rip. I would go .188 wall or .25 wall for areas where strength is important and where it will come in contact with rocks.

Re:

Thanks Chillkat. That is kind of what I was worried about. I think I will go .250 so I don't have to worry. I can use this .120 for bumpers or legs for the welding table.

Re:

I wish I would have built a frame for my ranger when I built it. I tore it down and boxed it in. I'm not sure if I'd build a frame now or a full tube chassis.

Any how 3/16 is what I planned to use if I did build a frame.

Re:

Ranger11 A tube chassis definitely crossed my mind, but since I want to keep it street legal I decided not do it.

I used 2x3 1.20 for my buggy but its Yota axles and 22r so not quite as heavy as what your building. In your case I would go with 2x3 .188