• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 300 housing repair...should I be worried?

Mooretoyx4

Started cleaning up my Dana 300 and while wire wheeling the crud/paint off I discovered a repair has been made to the housing. I bought this case on here a while ago and don't remember from who. It had the 32 spline outputs front and rear. I was going to put low max gears in it but now I think I should replace the housing first. It even had bondo on it to hide the repair. Should I worry about it or run it?

If you have much power at all, you will eventually bust the case with 4.0 gears anyways, I'd run it as pond as the repair is solid on the inside

muddinmetal said:
If you have much power at all, you will eventually bust the case with 4.0 gears anyways, I'd run it as pond as the repair is solid on the inside

Not much power. 150 hp with an auto.

A friend of mine blew his apart at AOP a few months ago and it cracked in the same fashion.

It was fully built with all the best parts that could be thrown at it....it striped the gears and locked down....busted the case in the same way. It seamed to me like the gears tried to spread apart and busted the case.

He went back with an ATLAS Race case.

Crawling for Reid was its first trip out other than testing at home and it worked great.

ftoy516 said:
A friend of mine blew his apart at AOP a few months ago and it cracked in the same fashion.

It was fully built with all the best parts that could be thrown at it....it striped the gears and locked down....busted the case in the same way. It seamed to me like the gears tried to spread apart and busted the case.

He went back with an ATLAS Race case.

Crawling for Reid was its first trip out other than testing at home and it worked great.

Just got a good deal on 2 spare cases for cheap but if I have problems with it an atlas will be next.

yea i totally understand.

The Atlas needed more room than the 300, and we had to do MAJOR surgery to get the thing to fit his chassis. if you go that route just keep that in mind...his buggy is really tight and was built around a C4 tranny and Dana 300 with no extra room.