• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 axle seals

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
My front axle was leaking after I pulled it apart last time to check on the internals. Went and got new axle seals and just pulled it apart to find that the old ones actually looked fine just had some junk around them where they seal to the shaft. Clean it out as best I can and put it back together or put the new ones in?
I've never been real good at doing anything that involves putting seals in so I'm always nervous about doing it anymore if I don't have to.

if i had it apart, i'd replace them depending on age.. the rubber will crack eventually.. that being said they are a bitch to install new ones sometimes.

I just did mine yesterday. its not too bad of a job. Now that you've gone this far I would recommend changing them

Re:

I'm going to inspect them some more and make a decision. First ride of the year next weekend so I'm sure to break something and have to tear it back apart when I break something. The other side was leaking before the last ride and quit leaking when this one started. I wanna say the guy that set my gears up about 3-4 years ago put these in.

Take a piece of thin wall pipe, like chain link line post or top rail, cut the pipe a little longer than axle long side, tape tube to shop vac, use the pipe to scrape mud and crap from inside axle tube, vacuum will suck it out, change seals, then when you slide axles back in they won't pick up grit and trash new seals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:

If the rubber part of the seal is hard replace them. If it's kinda soft or moveable leave them in there. I've pulled diff's and used a pressure washer to cleaned the tubes. Never thought about a vacuum cleaner but don't think I could get my wife outside with hers to clean an axle. Lol.

That last part was a joke she'd kick my bass if she seen that.

ranger11 said:
If the rubber part of the seal is hard replace them. If it's kinda soft or moveable leave them in there. I've pulled diff's and used a pressure washer to cleaned the tubes. Never thought about a vacuum cleaner but don't think I could get my wife outside with hers to clean an axle. Lol.

That last part was a joke she'd kick my bass if she seen that.
Wouldn't want to make my wife leave the kitchen to help on my axle, she knows her place, and yea, I want Bacon on my Ham Samich

Leave her alone, she is having a bad day, biatch burnt my bacon.

onepieceatatime said:
I've never been real good at doing anything that involves putting seals in so I'm always nervous about doing it anymore if I don't have to.
I know the feeling. But... you're not going to get any better at it by not doing them. I've found it's best to take the extra time to fab up a tool for those sorts of things. Makes it go a lot smoother and then you have it for next time.

Get a 6" 5/8 bolt and 2 large washers and 2 nuts and slide ur jack handle r a pipe and drive em n use ur new seal and match up the washer the bolt&nuts r the keep it centered

Man that sucks. I actually got a buddy to come over and do it last time. But I helped. I do remember Ya need a little tiny hammer to tso the in. Also remember the smell of 20-year-old nasty ****. Good lord it was messy. My girl was so happy at the smell in The house. I looked at this because I just noticed mine leakin today. Dammit! Wata pain. Going to get a Bellow for the vent. I always get extra seals. I suck ass at new stuff. Have to mess up once. :****: