• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 60 disc brakes 3/4 ton conversion caliper question

IROR

Has anyone changed from the single piston caliper to like a wilwood dual piston, or another style of dual piston caliper for better braking. if so did it help much

Re: Re: dana 60 disc brakes 3/4 ton conversion caliper question

Waffle said:
The performance gain is from a larger rotor. Most all of the Wilwood calipers are actually smaller piston area except for the really big and expensive versions. I swapped to 14" rotors and Wilwood DP6A calipers and I have great brakes with manual setup on 43's. That said, even the dp6a 6 piston has smaller piston area than the single piston 3/4 ton. Youll have better pad options though and even just a few hundreths mu increase can give you 10% better braking. The key is to understand hydraulic laws. I'd suggest reading over billavistas brake bible for a better in depth understanding.

For me, my manual brakes sucked no matter what I did (chevy 1 ton, chevy jb6/jb7 3/4 ton) until I went 14" rotors and dp6a calipers. Now it's all good! And another thing. Wide open designs sells the bracket to fit 14" spidertrax/Wilwood DP4 or DP6 for a D60. This sllows the spidertrax rotors to slip over the hub and just needs a little turned on the hub outer OD to make it all work. It's a sweet setup!
Many times a smaller piston will work beget in manual application. To move enough fluid for the larger caliper, you need a big master, but then you can't apply enough force with manual brakes to get enough pad clamping.

Pad surface area plays a key role here too. I suspect there isnt much difference in the wilwoods vs chevy.

Thanks for the info. May I ask what a system like this costs? I am building a new buggy as we speak AN looking for a really good break set up. Thanks

Latest posts