• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

detroit truetrac or lock right

popcancherokee

I bought a Detroit truetrac (limited slip locker) and thought it would be better then the lock right (lunch box locker)I have.I'm building up my yj.bought the Detroit and got the lock right on a trade. i want to use my yj as a daily drive and over the pass on logging roads and wheel it maybe once or twice a month.Witch one is a better locker for my application.Please let me know what you guys think and thank you very much for all info.SORRY i forgot this is going in a dana 30 and im running 35" tires and going with chrome molly axle shats....

Last edited:
I have a lockright in my front D44. It's good enough for what it is, always locked in when you need it to be, doesn't make noise, unlocked around corners when your off the gas, locks right in when you get on the gas. I'd recommend one for an affordable locker.

Basically it comes down to realizing a tru-trac is a limited slip, and limited slip is not 100% full lock... if you want traction that stays for wheeling, go with something not a limited slip..

Not a damn thing wrong with a tru track for a daily driver. Like others have said tho, it is a limited slip and not a locker.

I have daily driven a tru track for many years. Nothing bad about.

There is a trick you can sometimes use to lock up the rear...just use your parking brake and it can lock it up in a pinch.

I have daily driven a tru track for many years. Nothing bad about.

There is a trick you can sometimes use to lock up the rear...just use your parking brake and it can lock it up in a pinch.

Ive heard about that. It slows down the axle spin or something along those lines, right?

and yeah a tru track is much better for a DD. But i DD my aussie locker and i love it. I have not had a single issue in it, even in the ice -unless you goose it or drive like a retard-

It took me a little while to figure out my true trac... It did help a lot if I was on the brakes when on the gas... At the time I had a lock right in the rear and the true trac in the front... Of course this was with an auto...

I like my true-trac so far, the trucks on 32" BFG's, i def agree that a large tire will wear out an LSD fast. But so far it's performed well, no noise or jerkyness on the road. :awesomework: For a daily driver i would recommend it.

had a lockrite in the front of my D44 for over 12 years now...no issues and it drives just fine.

no clutch's in a trutrac to wear out......
for driving the pass in foul conditions? hands down truetrack is better and much safer.
as for going in a front d30 on 35's, much safer bet, much better longevity....

d30 lockrites fail in those situations....

I like a true locker like a detroit over a trutrac,,,,,

but would take the quality of the trutrac over the shittyness of a locwrong anyday.

I would rather have an open diff than a locrite,aussie,quickloc,pooplok,etc. whatever the latest and greatest crappy lunchbox locker is at the moment is still just JUNK.

I like my true-trac so far, the trucks on 32" BFG's, i def agree that a large tire will wear out an LSD fast. But so far it's performed well, no noise or jerkyness on the road. :awesomework: For a daily driver i would recommend it.

I ran a true trac with 36" TSLs for a few years... No issues...

IMO welded is the only way to go... Cheap and works...:redneck:

i run a tru trac up front on 35s(toyota) works great, on steep **** sometimes one will stop spinning, then i just apply light brake pressure and it engages again i like it.

Lots of guys out there running trutracs with tires larger than 32"
Plenty of guys in the hotrod world running into the 10 second 1/4mi, too...they are stronger than just about any stock, open carrier from any manufacturer, and are definitely stronger than lunchbox lockers in the vast majority axles out there.

That stipulation is more of a "CYA" statement in the owner's manual. It is strong enough to handle larger tires, assuming your axle itself is up to the task. Heck, just about ANY aftermarket carrier has a stipulation in the warranty that it is void in an altered vehicle, or one with tires larger than manufacturer spec.

That being said,
I've got one in my 14bolt 9.5" SF axle in my Chevy.

Sounds like we have the same goals...weekend warrior that will also see a LOT of time on twisty pavement and gravel roads. For this, it works GREAT.

IF you find yourself trying to rock crawl, you'll probably hate it...but it works well in mud and snow and has excellent street manners. I've had to do the parking brake trick a few times with my rig...but after tapping the brakes I managed to get along just as though I was LOCKED.

I wheeled my rig with a factory locker (which engaged 1/2 the time, and disengaged after 25mps), until it blew up...then ran peg-leg for a while (open). The Trutrac is definitely an improvement over being open, but if you have a very capable rig...or ever plan to do more than 10-15trips a year for true wheeling, you'll want to go selectable like an ARB.

If you want to see what it's like to wheel a trutrac, hit up Youtube...lots of videos of people testing them out. You can see how they react, how they slip and lock up, etc. to get an idea if it is right for you.
FWIW, I once watched a Jeep JK with trutracs front and rear teeter-totter on its front left and right rear tire. After a few seconds of aggravation he remembered to light apply the brakes. A locked rig would have crawled right past where he was without flinching.

Truetrac is great, reliable and awesome for the DD. I've ran mine in the rear for years with 35's and have had to do the brake trick a few times on the trails. As long as you have some forward momentum it will engage.