• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel engine sluggish

Jduck

I've got an 05 dodge and it seems to be getting sluggish lately. It's creeping up around 200k miles, had the fuel filter changed every oil change. Just wondering if anyone's had any luck with a injector cleaner or treatment of some sort? Only mod it's got is a Diablo tuner that's been set to the 90hp setting for the last 150k miles. Or any other suggestions to try??

I have used lucas and diesel kleen with good results. not saying It is this but 200k miles is pretty normal for injector issues on cummins engines. only ever seen 2 that went well over 200k and they were using lucas every other tank to help keep the fuel system clean. Try some cleaner first maybe even change your filter and see where it goes from there.

I've used the Hot Shot's Secret oil additive in my 7.3. Maybe every 3rd oil change I'll throw it in.
Really helped my injectors out.

Are your boost #s down from normal? Fuel pressure at spec? Make sure to check the obvious stuff. Air and fuel filters, aftercooler connections for leakage. Gain access to the turbo and check for slop in the shaft indicating a worn turbo. Lost of fuel and manifold pressure are usually major factors.

Re:

hjpcummins said:
Any history on trans?
Got gauges?

Stock, no aftermarket gauges. Picked up stuff to service it tomorrow, hoping the fuel filter is just the culprit.

The Tuner may be going bad, too. Being used to the extra 90 hp, then loose it will make a difference.

I'm not a fan of the Diablo programmers personally. They don't have a safe guard built in like a smarty or even bully dog. To drop off if egts get to high. Seen one buddy get a hole in the top of a piston due to one. No obvious blow by or anything in the engine is there? Keep us updated hopefully it's a filter. Or something small. Not to scare you and again not saying it was any of that. One thing you can do before you change your oil just to rule out injectors. Pull dip stick. Let oil drip a drop on a paper towel from the dip stick. If it stays in one spot and doesn't spread out your good. If it spreads out farther than you see oil then there is fuel in the oil. Just a helpful tip

Diesel kleen will help with sticking injectors. Put a bottle in to 20 gallons of fuel and run it pretty hard. Then I would change fuel filter again to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOVI FED COUPE said:
Diesel kleen will help with sticking injectors. Put a bottle in to 20 gallons of fuel and run it pretty hard. Then I would change fuel filter again to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep

Re:

Never used Diesel Kleen is it good for preventive mtc?
Jason we can set my truck back to stock and program yours with my programmer if you think your puck may be going bad.

Yes it is a good additive for cleaning and lubeing the fuel system. Lucas is good also. Really kinda of 6 on one hand half dozen in the other. Seen good results out of both

Re: Re: Diesel engine sluggish

poppy said:
The Tuner may be going bad, too. Being used to the extra 90 hp, then loose it will make a difference.
Mine went out then two weeks later the lift pump went out. When the tuner went bad it put the truck in limp mode. But before anything went out I noticed I was getting very poor fuel mileage.

Re:

Hell mine gets crappy milage compared to the 12 valve. Probably nothing wrong with JDucks truck, he just couldn't keep up with the 12 valve when he followed me over Mont Eagle and now he is convinced he has issues.

Re:

mdo817 said:
Hell mine gets crappy milage compared to the 12 valve. Probably nothing wrong with JDucks truck, he just couldn't keep up with the 12 valve when he followed me over Mont Eagle and now he is convinced he has issues.

:rolf: Hell I was at the exit ramp standing around drinking a drink wondering if you were gonna make it. Never seen so much gear jamming and black smoke just to get up a little hill.. I did pick up some Lucas today with my filters to start running in it.

Re:

HaHa, hope the Lucas helps! By the way you never got in front of me, but I am sure you caught some black smoke! Rollin' Coal baby.

On my D-Max, I had my fuel filter changed by my local service center and it lasted less than a month and went to running real sluggish, so I brought it back to them and the changed it out. Runs perfect again, no charge.

Well changed oil along with oil/air/fuel filters. Also found one of the negative battery cables was very loose so toghtend it up and so far it seems to be running better. hopefully it was that simple..

Latest posts