• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dimple Dies

jeeptj99

Fixing to start a small add on to the jeep and been wondering about dimple dies. I'm wanting to build a rack for the back of my jeep to sit above the fuel cell for cooler tool bag the usual ****. Synergy makes one but i have the tube, a bender, and enough sheet metal that i can make one in a couple evenings or a Saturday and not cost $350 bucks. Theirs the holes are dimpled, does this add anything or can i get away with not doing it? The reason i am considering not doing it is I don't have access to dimple dies. Does it add strength or is it for looks? This rack won't be holding a ton of weight just the usual day trip stuff that won't fit between the cell and the tail gate.

this is what i am going for: http://www.polyperformance.com/Synergy-Jeep-Wrangler-Baja-Basket

Yeah, without the dimples the sheet metal would never hold up. I have one of those synergy baskets that I'm using on my buggy. I bought it years ago for my old YJ and never used it. So I'm using it now. Back then I didn't have the tools/place to make one. Now I would just build it myself.

If you do look into getting some dimple dies I highly recommend the SWAG dies that work with the HF knockout punch kit. I have the kit that is for pipe sizes, but now they offer them in standard sizes as well.

Damn that's a lot of money for a once here and there thing. I'll call him see if I can get just one that would be cool.

jeeptj99 said:
Damn that's a lot of money for a once here and there thing. I'll call him see if I can get just one that would be cool.

I've heard a trailer ball and tapered bearing race work pretty good, but never tried it.

Re: Re: Dimple Dies

jeeptj99 said:
How do you do that?
Hole saw a hole in the steel, place bearing race under hole, press trailer ball down into hole.

It might take a little practice to get it "right" and looking good. But it's very doable.

Kinda related, I use my old pipe kinker for dimples and bending plate. Make it super simple.

c0c44cb0bbaf1b1d7a56be03e0880427.jpg

71a7beb25a7a56a95a2dcb8bbe72cf9a.jpg