• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Direction changing events in your off roading hobby

matlock said:
I'm quite confident that I would make it to the bottom..... ;D

I agree, but it's not the drop that would have killed you, just that sudden stop. I think you could have pulled it off.........................................with a parachute.... :rolf:

ADMINISTRATOR

I always loved jeeps growing up. I got one when I was in college. Me and Lee (high gear only) both had them and we used to get them stuck in mud holes in south Georgia. I found Salvage Jeep parts and service in Statesboro when we were there. I used to go there and buy all the chrome I could find! My jeep would be falling apart and I wouldn't fix it so I could buy more chrome... Eventually I convinced them to hire me to pull parts or screw up other peoples jeeps.

Another friend of Salvage Jeeps invited us to go to Tellico. I borrowed a set of 33's with mismatched wheels and drove the jeep up. I thought I knew what I was doing. They suggested I lower my tire pressure and I thought that was dumb. We went down trail number 1 and did the river crossing. All these jeeps were slipping and sliding around. I was spotted through it and made it with no problem. It was the best feeling! I though man this is way more fun than mud. I then lowered my tire pressure and it was on! I never looked back.

Lee and I continued to ride together. He always had better rides than me but I always pulled him off the trails when he broke :rolf: I still have my original jeep. Just a couple of changes.

Now I need my kids to get older and my wife to stop being such a hater so I can go more often!

My wheeling life started 2001, heard about GSMTR at tellico. Loaded up my stock FJ60 and headed there. Arrived at night and camped in little camp ground beside road. I'll never forgot waking up looking out my tent at cruisers with "huge" tires and not stock....
I wheeled back then the gravel roads and watched Lower 2, I was hooked! From there I built my 60 and wheeled it for years. Then I purchased a buggy 5 years ago and it's been crazy stuff since then.
Wheeling has taken me from Alaska to Moab, and east to tellico. I've made some of the best friends I'll ever have through wheeling.

This year the wife and I are gonna wheel closer to home and try to take more weekend trips to other "non wheeling" places. Not stopping but want my wife to see more of the great country we live so wheeling gonna slow but not stop or sell out.

Besides the wife enjoys it to much to stop and besides its what keep me happy.

I totaled my hot rodded 67 Camaro in 1977 and bought a '53 Willys PU with a flat head Willys super hurricane engine. Top speed of 50mph, but it would pull a train. Had it in the blizzard of 1978 in Indiana and decided that 4 wheelin' beat the **** out of hot rodding. Totalled it too, cause I was young and stupid. Without a 4x4 till I finished school and got a real job. Then bought a '79 Toyota. Beat the hell out of that poor thing, replaced 3 head gaskets, 2 sets of axles, repaired frame, etc. Got out again for a while until I bought my current '59 Willys PU. Realized I'd get drunk and **** up the Willys if I didn't have something to beat on. Bought a butchered up Sami on coils and trailer for $1500. Loved that thing, but no power. Thousands of dollars and many rigs and many work hours later I've got the two somewhat reasonable buggys, a project truggy, a pille of parts, and have had a great time. I do kinda miss all that $ though.

Latest posts