• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DIY Beadlock help please!

mikemounlio

I am ready to order a set of beadlocks. I run a 38.5x15 tire so i understand i need the conning ring. What is the cheapest in price kit out there? Or should i get the rings from a dealer online and buy the bolts myself?

I have never ran coning rings, they do bend in some but it has never been an issues for me. I would rather clamp the tire versus clamping on a ring.

Very good point. I am buying the kit from a local shop. The custom designed outer ring, inner ring, and conning ring with grade 8 for 290 all four rims. I dont think ill get any better then that plus its a local shop.

I've been looking the total metal innovations ones pretty hard. They have the anti conning tabs cut out in them and you bend them up after welding. Sounds stupid but looks like it would work well.

That's a good price, I have mine lazer cut at a metal supplier of mine and for 1/4" inner rings and outer rings cost me 220. So for bolts and all that's not bad at all.

Ive done about 5 different sets of DIY locks with and without coning rings or spacers. I found that when I didn't use rings or spacers that they cone bad and really only clamp the very inside of bead. IMO with coning rings or spacers the lock rings sets flat against the whole bead and since the bolts are between the ring and the bead it gets clamped evenly. The TMI locks are by far the best I've used and cheap. I get my own hardware and use serrated nuts instead of poly lock nuts that way I don't have to use a wrench to hold the nut while tightening.

I did a set of Total Metal Innovations bout a yr ago , great product & a good guy to deal with , I would do a coning ring

If you don't buy some with the anti coning ring go to your local tractor supply and buy 1/8 thick 1/2 flat stock you can bend it with your hand and it works awesome, I bought some than AdamF was selling and that's what I done. If he comes up with another set I'm needing some as well :dblthumb:

scrowexj said:
If you don't buy some with the anti coning ring go to your local tractor supply and buy 1/8 thick 1/2 flat stock you can bend it with your hand and it works awesome, I bought some than AdamF was selling and that's what I done. If he comes up with another set I'm needing some as well :dblthumb:
Soon! I'm finishing a buggy and setting up a shop. Once i'm up and running i'll have a few more designs for locks, and probably anti coning crap since everybody seems to want it now.

07gmc said:
I did a set of Total Metal Innovations bout a yr ago , great product & a good guy to deal with , I would do a coning ring

How thick did you go on your rings? I like the idea of 3/16 to save weight but wonder if it's durable enough on the outer rings.