• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR Reiter Motorized Trails Field Day

At Reiter, I am convinced that the DNR will open a small wheeling section/trail by this summer.

I am also convinced that "you" wouldn't be able to stop it. SEPA could, but "you" couldn't.:;

Funny.....first we want the place open, damn the consequences. Now we want a further temporary closure, for only a promise made by yourself.

I understand the logical reasons for both, but it is curious. Don't you think?

And yes, this is a complicated subject.:awesomework:

At Reiter, I am convinced that the DNR will open a small wheeling section/trail by this summer.

I am also convinced that "you" wouldn't be able to stop it. SEPA could, but "you" couldn't.:;

Funny.....first we want the place open, damn the consequences. Now we want a further temporary closure, for only a promise made by yourself.

I understand the logical reasons for both, but it is curious. Don't you think?

And yes, this is a complicated subject.:awesomework:

As I see it in all reality sepa should not even let it open even even for a temp small area--I think its smoke and mirrors really. This should have been thought out well before it was even closed and as I have always said the lower area should have been kept open and the upper closed. This would have still help substain recreation and alot of other issues.

What we want is an area that substainable for use for a number of years. Something that we can put our hard work into that we know will be there for use in the future and not something that we put our hard work into to only have for a short time.

Some of us have already done that for some time with "nothing" to show for it. And I can there are a number of folks who in the past have lived by this and hence why they never came out to help--something I understand.

As I see it in all reality sepa should not even let it open even even for a temp small area--I think its smoke and mirrors really. This should have been thought out well before it was even closed and as I have always said the lower area should have been kept open and the upper closed. This would have still help substain recreation and alot of other issues.

What we want is an area that substainable for use for a number of years. Something that we can put our hard work into that we know will be there for use in the future and not something that we put our hard work into to only have for a short time.

Some of us have already done that for some time with "nothing" to show for it. And I can there are a number of folks who in the past have lived by this and hence why they never came out to help--something I understand.

I think we can all agree that they should have done all this "research", "planning" and "footwork" BEFORE they closed it. Then build/rebuilt new trails and open and closed things as they went along.

They (the DNR) screwed up big time IMO with the course of action they have taken. I don't know why it was suddenly so important to shut it all down NOW, theeeennnn look into fixing the problem. Now they have alot of frustrated and angry wheelers and recreationists.

Current budget crap doesn't help naturally. And yes, I also agree there is a metric ****-ton of Political and "higher up agenda" crap in play. But the lip service that Stan and the lady (who's name is escaping me at the time) who were the head DRN reps at this walk though was encouraging. Seems to me THEY have been tasked with the job of reopening ORV use at the "Reiter" area... whether they want to or not (they flat out said that the available areas in "Reiter" are not ideal to ORV use... but its what they have to work with). Whether or not the rug is pulled out from under them, or they have been set up for failure remains to be seen. But like I said, the lip service they gave us told me they are committed to doing it. Which is encouraging.

It will be harder to close if they open ANYTHING back up vs. just keeping it closed indefinitely.

This I don't agree with for a number of reasons.

The first being the pressure being put onto the DNR by the towns/citys down the sky valley.

The second the focus that has been put onto the DNR to pull something off. The DNR has invested alot of $$ into this even though there is no FOR SURE PLAN yet but for them to keep it closed forever is a HUGE slap in the face and one I don't think the DNR wants.

You can be as skeptable as much as you want--something is going to happen but the political BS is going to make it a slow uphill battle.
This I don't agree with for a number of reasons.

The first being the pressure being put onto the DNR by the towns/citys down the sky valley.

The second the focus that has been put onto the DNR to pull something off. The DNR has invested alot of $$ into this even though there is no FOR SURE PLAN yet but for them to keep it closed forever is a HUGE slap in the face and one I don't think the DNR wants.

You can be as skeptical as much as you want--something is going to happen but the political BS is going to make it a slow uphill battle.

Let me clarify a little bit of my previous assessment (that Mike quoted above). Just to make sure we are on the same page.

It is my OPINION, that if they open up ANYTHING, even a small section this summer like they have stated there desires to. This could potentially make is more difficult to close it down again. From a political, physical etc standpoint.

This is in comparison to just LEAVING it closed (it current state) for a longer, extended period of time that just makes it EASIER to bag the whole thing should budget, politics whatever come into play.

Or another way of putting it, the longer its closed, the less optimistic I would be of ANYTHING opening.

Are they monitoring the water to see if a difference has been made?
What should that matter :flipoff:

I've contended long time that sure, ORV use in the area adds to the silting of the stream beds... but PALES in comparison to what mother nature does one her own.

Along the same lines, "restoring" the old ORV trails, within reason, is a big waste. Nature will do it herself.

heck, they have a huge "set aside" in the area as a "potential owl nesting site". No Owls are in the area, or nesting there. But its "the type of area the owls WOULD like to nest in should some come by"..... :rolleyes:

Are they monitoring the water to see if a difference has been made?

I am curious as well, although I don't trust any of their findings.

Most people who get jobs like this are already they type that hate guys who wheel.

To many of them, we are a cancer on the land. Tweaking results to fit their agenda is not beyond a lot of these types.

They could find a direct corelation between "resource damage" at Reiter, and butterflies dieing off in China if they want to.

Personally, I think they just need a good swift kick to the balls.

Most people who get jobs like this are already they type that hate guys who wheel.

To many of them, we are a cancer on the land. Tweaking results to fit their agenda is not beyond a lot of these types.

This comment is ignorant, paranoid and 100% false.

I am curious about Gold Bar and there loss of revenue. stevens pass had a bad winter so not too many skiers and there lost revenue from us 4wheelers and dirt bike rides must be hurting them.

I know this is not about what is happening up at reiter but was just wondering if anyone has any info on this.

I know it's tough times, but this is not the first winter with lack of snow around here. Plus, stevens will have a mountain bike park this summer, which should help out.

I am curious as well, although I don't trust any of their findings.

They could find a direct corelation between "resource damage" at Reiter, and butterflies dieing off in China if they want to.

Personally, I think they just need a good swift kick to the balls.

The whole water issue is not even worth talking about because simply with how the laws/rules are writen we will loose every time. Kinda like putting a one legged/one armed man in the arena with tyson for a boxing match. Without alot of $$$ to dispute the states current(and it might be at the federal level I am not sure) science on the matter is just not worth even talking about IMO. All we can do is try to survive within the limits and guidelines placed--I hate having to do so as much as the next guy though.

QUOTE=1 grumpy;725276]I am curious about Gold Bar and there loss of revenue. stevens pass had a bad winter so not too many skiers and there lost revenue from us 4wheelers and dirt bike rides must be hurting them.

I know this is not about what is happening up at reiter but was just wondering if anyone has any info on this.[/QUOTE]

The Sky Valley Chamber of Commerce has filed an action against DNR for closing the Reiter area without consideration of the impact on the communities. NMA and WOHVA are trying to help get our Reiter back which should be more than 1000 acres. Some feel this might hold up progress at Reiter, but so far the possibility of the Rock Garden and parking for 8 rigs sure doesn't seem as good as forcing them to open their eyes to everyones needs.

http://www.nmaoffroad.org/downloads/NMA_reiter_flyer_nov2009.pdf[

I am curious about Gold Bar and there loss of revenue. stevens pass had a bad winter so not too many skiers and there lost revenue from us 4wheelers and dirt bike rides must be hurting them.

I know this is not about what is happening up at reiter but was just wondering if anyone has any info on this.

The last restoration party the Major gave a speech on this and so did alot of other people from the area. They where also nice enough to bring alot of home made cookies and coffee for the people that showed.

THey are hurting big time.

The last restoration party the Major gave a speech on this and so did alot of other people from the area. They where also nice enough to bring alot of home made cookies and coffee for the people that showed.

THey are hurting big time.

And they have the backing of more than just the community up there. The Motorcycle/ATV dealers are also behind them along with GBNT and many others.

The Sky Valley Chamber of Commerce has filed an action against DNR for closing the Reiter area without consideration of the impact on the communities. NMA and WOHVA are trying to help get our Reiter back which should be more than 1000 acres. Some feel this might hold up progress at Reiter, but so far the possibility of the Rock Garden and parking for 8 rigs sure doesn't seem as good as forcing them to open their eyes to everyones needs.

http://www.nmaoffroad.org/downloads/NMA_reiter_flyer_nov2009.pdf[

I remember calling you a plant for the greenies a while back. Here lately, however, you have me concerned. Either I was ignorant, paranoid, and 100%false, or you are very good at what you do.

I Hope, and think, I was wrong.

Yes, sometimes I overdo it with the paranoia

I remember calling you a plant for the greenies a while back. Here lately, however, you have me concerned. Either I was ignorant, paranoid, and 100%false, or you are very good at what you do.

I Hope, and think, I was wrong.

Yes, sometimes I overdo it with the paranoia

It's OK, your not the only person who has misunderstood my intentions.

My only concern is having somewhere at Reiter again to use all my toys. I have a side x side that likes to flop on big rock faces, 4 dirtbikes and a moderately thrashed on and slightly modded FJ. I have alot at stake just like most of you guys. And I have 5 ORV tabs that my money was robbed from me which makes me even more determined to get something worth while at Reiter. :D

If you where listening on the day of the outing with DNR you learned some very important "things"...

One: There are several state agencies offer money to DNR to help make Reiter a successful ORV area.
Second: You learned DNR is very committed to making Reiter an ORV area but they "MUST FOLLOW the RULES" no water crossing, they can not authorize ORV land usage under the power-lines with out BPA's approval and they need to follow state and county building permit process to build trails at Reiter.
Third: They have been looking into having something to play on by this summer and by next summer maybe as far as area 7 could be open to ORV use, larger parking lots and maybe camping.
Fourth: The DNR would like to see Reiter built as a highly technical ORV area.
When I was talking to Lisa she brought up how they where thinking about building wood ramps and wood cat walks for the mountain bikers and if it was possible to entertain the possibility of building motorbike and/or 4x4 trails with some of the same types of course designs as the mountain bike trails... This may not work but they are interested and willing to explore what the possibles ara with the new trails at Reiter...

If you where listening on the day of the outing with DNR you learned some very important "things"...

One: There are several state agencies offer money to DNR to help make Reiter a successful ORV area.
Second: You learned DNR is very committed to making Reiter an ORV area but they "MUST FOLLOW the RULES" no water crossing, they can not authorize ORV land usage under the power-lines with out BPA's approval and they need to follow state and county building permit process to build trails at Reiter.
Third: They have been looking into having something to play on by this summer and by next summer maybe as far as area 7 could be open to ORV use, larger parking lots and maybe camping.
Fourth: The DNR would like to see Reiter built as a highly technical ORV area.
When I was talking to Lisa she brought up how they where thinking about building wood ramps and wood cat walks for the mountain bikers and if it was possible to entertain the possibility of building motorbike and/or 4x4 trails with some of the same types of course designs as the mountain bike trails... This may not work but they are interested and willing to explore what the possibles ara with the new trails at Reiter...

Again scott you have shown me that we are not doomed--I believe we are not doomed. :awesomework: