• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DOT E Logs?

ibrokeit said:
Ok. So-

1. What can I legally pull for personal use with NO CDL and no dot numbers?
2. What can I legally pull with for personal use WITH CDL and no dot numbers?
That's a not so simple answer, what's the max ur truck was rated from the factory and what's ur trailer rated to haul, 26000 combination or 10000 trailer is what I think is max u can carry without Cdl. You are also opening yourself to a personal financial fiasco if you get in a wreck by using a personal vehicle commercially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

You'll never get a straight answer from DOT either, ask one officer and they'll tell you one thing and the next one will tell you something different.

You really need to watch pulling really heavy in a personal vehicle. I try and tell people when they brag about their pumped up diesel will pull all this super heavy ****. It might be cool to tell all your buddies about but if someone cuts you off and you run them over and kill them you won't have as much fun telling the judge about how much your truck can pull when your up for manslaughter. That **** can happen.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I agree, I jump to a Ram 5500 this year because of safety reasons. Amazing how much more of a truck it is than a 1 ton. The "personal" thing i dont think changes anything with CDL. Basically even if your hauling your own stuff, if your driving any DRW truck and dual tandem trailer, your GVWR is over 26k you need a CDL just driving it empty!! Its all in what your capable of hauling, not what you ARE hauling..The only exception i believe is recreational stuff, campers etc...I could be wrong on some of this, just what DOT has told me over the years, hell some tell me all different anyway.. The log book thing i have no clue, i wait till officer tells me i need to change over to E-log.

Re:

Truck manufactures are gonna need to start thinking about putting air brakes on some of these pickup trucks with the weight they can pull these days. I know they've done a lot with engine braking to help slow them down but they're a blown hydraulic brake line away from some real problems.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Truck manufactures are gonna need to start thinking about putting air brakes on some of these pickup trucks with the weight they can pull these days. I know they've done a lot with engine braking to help slow them down but they're a blown hydraulic brake line away from some real problems.

Once Air Brakes are on a vehicle, wouldnt that require CDL's or at the very least, a Air Brake Endorsement? Interesting thread BTW. A good place to look for info on this would be at https://www.thetruckersreport.com/
There is a Huge amount of info on this kind of stuff on their Forum.

Re: Re:

J/Cope79 said:
Once Air Brakes are on a vehicle, wouldnt that require CDL's or at the very least, a Air Brake Endorsement? Interesting thread BTW. A good place to look for info on this would be at https://www.thetruckersreport.com/
There is a Huge amount of info on this kind of stuff on their Forum.
You don't need a CDL or air brake endorsement if the truck is tagged under weight for a CDL vehicle.

Re: Re: DOT E Logs?

Trailpunisher said:
Don't need cdl with farm tags ether. Weight does not matter.
In ohio there's a range restriction for farm use.

The way it was explained to me by the nice DOT officer once...... If you have a DOT number on the side of your truck, pull in.. even if it's an empty half ton pick up......If driving anything else and your not sure if you should or not, pull in.. we'll wave you though if you didn't need to pull in.

I'm so glad I'm not driving anymore. DOT is 10 cents above ridiculous these days. I used to know most of the local officers by first name and you could reason with them. Now it's all about the money.

Re: Re: DOT E Logs?

onepieceatatime said:

Missouri also. I think it's 250 miles and it has to be your own commodity. Can't be for even another farmer or it classifies it as commercial. Kind of hard to prove on a crop but no reason to make them look for something else.

wayne86 said:
Yes sir! Surprised they didn't chase you down. If you are not overweight they will give you a ticket for bypassing the scale.
:rolf: pull in the scale house at 41k in a dually with out the right tag,insurance or numbers and see what happens. :dblthumb:

RockHales said:
:rolf: pull in the scale house at 41k in a dually with out the right tag,insurance or numbers and see what happens. :dblthumb:
I'm just saying he's in the wrong either way. I used to drive a non CMV box truck and drove by a scale on 30 in Ohio. I didn't know if I was supposed to stop or not. They came after me and gave me a ticket. He's lucky he didn't have to stop and get the riot act. He's also lucky they didn't see him pass and chase him down and still give him the riot act.

Trailpunisher said:
Don't need cdl with farm tags ether. Weight does not matter.

onepieceatatime said:

j-mox said:
Missouri also. I think it's 250 miles and it has to be your own commodity. Can't be for even another farmer or it classifies it as commercial. Kind of hard to prove on a crop but no reason to make them look for something else.

I think this is how it is in most states. Believe Alabama is 150 mile though. We only run farm plate on farm use only trucks, others get P1, XA, or X_ based on truck gross rating. For those plates Alabama does not count trailer or heaviest load into rating for personal non commercial use. The way I understand it you're not to run a normal "car" plate on a truck with over 8,000lbs unless it's personalized, then you're good up to 12,000 lbs. I guess they figure you pay more for a personalized plate.