• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Double Ended Ram or Single????

R

rock yuppie

I am always looking at other rigs to see how well they perform and what seems to make certain ones work better than others. After watching the races on Saturday at RBD, I got to noticing that most guys that seem to be able to steer really well through the tight trails at speeds are running a single ended ram on their steering. What makes this different? I tried to get some wheeling time around them to see if they worked better at speeds or if they would still do good in a slower speed crawl bind, but I ended up going around the crowd to play on other stuff instead. [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt] :fish:[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Interesting question...The way my mind works, You would have more control with the double ended because of the stroke. Seems like you'd get equal "power" both ways instead of relying more on leverage. :dunno:

(I've got a single on my buggy.)

My current buggy has a double ended ram and I like it a lot. It is more predictable when you're going kinda fast. Not much difference crawling.
My first buggy had an ag ram from TSC and it worked fine too.
So is a double ended ram worth double the price? Probably not. IMO

I enjoy putting my rig in nasty looking places between big rocks and any where else that makes the buggy work, but If i had to race along a tight trail like the guys did at RBD, I can promise you I would wreck my junk. That's what made me curious about how they seem to be a lot more in control than mine would be.[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][/size][/size][/size][/size]

A double ended cylinder is "balanced" the same amount of fluid is needed to move rod in or out.
A single ended cylinder needs more fluid to move out vs in because of the area of the rod. Technically. but it can be hard to feel a difference.

I am running this cylinder with a PSC 7.3 cu in metering valve. Works great with only one issue. When trying to steer fast with low steering pump rpms, the stock gm pump can't supply enough fluid and slows the steering. Working fine for 2 yrs so far.

This cylinder is tapped for 3/4" at each end. Just thread in a 3/4" hiem and then out to you tie rods. $184.95 plus shipping.
(https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6845&catname=hydraulic)

Most of the "rock bouncer" guys and gals run SE rams because of durability and ease of replacement when crashing into rocks and trees.

The "speed and control" you refer to comes from running a good high performance pump and a system that is well matched to flow enough fluid for fast manuvers. A hydro system is limited by how much fluid you can push from the pump to the cylinder.

I am running a complete matched set up suggested by PSC. I have the pump, cooler and double ended ram.[size=10pt][/size]

I like single b/c if you hit your steering on a rock you dont bend your ram.

I've seen too many double ended rams get bent and there is no goood way to protect them.

Bob, this year i did the opposite of what your thinking.....i switched from a psc single ended ram to a TG double ended because i thought it would give me more control at speed but i really can't tell much difference at all. it's just something you have to get used to (the fast steering i mean) and now that i've raced a couple of times i am glad as hell that i left it alone and left it fast, it's awesome in the woods.

How many turns lock-lock are you?

i run a TG 8" throw (limited to 7") 2.25" double ended ram with a 9.8 cubic inch displacement Charlynn valve and I'm about 2.25 turns lock-lock.

you can really zip through the trees with the steering that quick. usually I never have to take my hand off the wheel, or "palm it", i just turn left-right and shift gears.

TBItoy said:
How many turns lock-lock are you?

i run a TG 8" throw (limited to 7") 2.25" double ended ram with a 9.8 cubic inch displacement Charlynn valve and I'm about 2.25 turns lock-lock.

you can really zip through the trees with the steering that quick. usually I never have to take my hand off the wheel, or "palm it", i just turn left-right and shift gears.

I do not know the measurements, but the info gained from this thread will give me a great start to figure it all out.