• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Down and Dirty Transaxle Build

Dig'n the new ride! Gotta love a Harlan trip!!!! What's your thoughts on the Treps? First time on em right?

Thanks Wizzo! Our next ride is at GMP July 31- Aug 2 If any of ya'll wanna come out.

Yep, first trip out on the treps other than just around the house.. Driving around our land, there are some spots that would give the reds on my other rig trouble, like have to put it in high range and hit the rev limiter on a grassy hill climb, especially when its wet. The treps have no trouble stopping and starting again where the reds struggle to keep the rig moving..

On the rocks I would say their performance was very similar to reds which in my opinion is where reds really shine, the treps don't quite have the bite on the rocks that reds do, you know that feeling reds have when they hook up on rocks just isn't quite the same on treps but again this is a completely different rig than the one with reds ...maybe I'll have time soon to throw the reds on this one and see how it acts.

Treps do much better in the mud between the rocks we experience so much in this region and the clean way better.

bottom line i think the treps are a much better all around tire for the wheeling and conditions I tend to do.

Simo said:
"Oh, so that's the front end of it, I always thought that was the back"

I got that response a lot during the build…. my wife had no clue what i was up to for a long time, Im lucky she's so supportive. :****:

That thing is bad ASS Trey u did a bang up job on that buggy! Looks like it go's like a MOFO :woot: :woot: Are you going to the flats ride next weekend? I'd love to see it in person!

zjtrey said:
thanks for the pics and videos simo!!

I have a smaller pulley I could put on but I wanted to shake everything down real good before i add power.. when the boost kicks in as is it feels really strong..

Who did your wiring/computer flash? Anything you'd do again, or redo given the chance? I didn't see the exhaust mentioned. I've seen where they say to add a log on the driver side as the manifold is restrictive, as well as the flex pipe. They say it's a good power adder along with the pulley. I'm looking to pick mine up this week if my buddy gets his rig on wheels again and out of the way for me. Mine's a 98 from a Bonneville SSEI.

hokie_yj said:
Looks great man! Wanna come finish mine now? ;D

Thanks! Can't wait to see yours on the trail also Ben, for now I need a break lol, hit me up in a few months lol.

You still making progress?

sleepsontoilet said:
Who did your wiring/computer flash? Anything you'd do again, or redo given the chance? I didn't see the exhaust mentioned. I've seen where they say to add a log on the driver side as the manifold is restrictive, as well as the flex pipe. They say it's a good power adder along with the pulley. I'm looking to pick mine up this week if my buddy gets his rig on wheels again and out of the way for me. Mine's a 98 from a Bonneville SSEI.

What does add a log mean? typo?

I had my computer flashed by fast fiero's but I DO NOT recommend them, apparently the guy got it right but if I had that to do again, I'd go with Jims Performance.

I did the wiring harness myself using alldatadiy.com for pinouts ect, I could be persuaded to help you with the harness if you want to save a few bucks.

No exhaust mods yet, i just did a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe and a single chamber muffler from summit, I used the factory flange to keep it simple and cheap.

I have a 3.4 pulley to put on but i wanted to shake it down good first and make sure I don't have any transmission issues before i add power.

I did put a 180 deg Tstat in and NGK TR6 plugs which were recommended by some 3800 gurus, I did this after the trip, the plugs made a big difference, the ones i took out were GONE!

feel free to hit me up with questions as you move forward, I'll be happy to PM you my cell number.. what are you putting the 3800 in?

I wanted to add to the thread that I ended up going with a KRC cast iron power steering pump, the bolt pattern in the pump matches the stock pump however the KRC pump needs an extra .375 spacing added to the spacers that KRC sends for belt alignment. You'll also need 2 longer 8mm x .125 bolts between 90 and 100 long, I used 100mm bolts and cut them down a little, fastenal was the only place i could find them and they did have them in individual packs so I didn't have to buy 50 lol..

Banner I probably won't be at the flats, I need some time to get ready for the gmp ride and catch up on other responsibilities… such as getting the hunt club ready for deer season and honey do's lol. You should ride with Cob to GMP in a few weeks

zjtrey said:
What does add a log mean? typo?

I had my computer flashed by fast fiero's but I DO NOT recommend them, apparently the guy got it right but if I had that to do again, I'd go with Jims Performance.

I did the wiring harness myself using alldatadiy.com for pinouts ect, I could be persuaded to help you with the harness if you want to save a few bucks.

No exhaust mods yet, i just did a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe and a single chamber muffler from summit, I used the factory flange to keep it simple and cheap.

I have a 3.4 pulley to put on but i wanted to shake it down good first and make sure I don't have any transmission issues before i add power.

I did put a 180 deg Tstat in and NGK TR6 plugs which were recommended by some 3800 gurus, I did this after the trip, the plugs made a big difference, the ones i took out were GONE!

feel free to hit me up with questions as you move forward, I'll be happy to PM you my cell number.. what are you putting the 3800 in?

Power log, replaces the cast manifold that robs power

http://zzperformance.com/catalog/product/view/id/279/category/6/

And this replaces the restrictive flex pipe. In reading those two with a smaller pulley are the cheapest easiest ways to add power.

http://zzperformance.com/exhaust/ceramic-coated-crossover-pipe.html

I definitely plan to hit you up on that offer. I've read a lot of good about Jims Performance, and am considering him. The only reason I'd consider fast fiero's is bc he's in Dallas just a few hours north of me. I'm going to run the L67/aw4/dana 300 in this Zuk buggy. My 1.3L is built, but it tends to stall a lot.

Ok cool, I may go for those a little later down the road.

DO NOT go with fast fieros.. its not the same people that used to own it. I could go into the nightmare he caused me but Im in a good mood right now and theres no reason to ruin it. Go with Jims, please. I spent a decent amount of time on the phone with him trying to straighten out the fast fieros debacle and Jim knows his stuff and will stand behind it.

that sami is gonna be fun with some woopow!! toy axles? I wonder how well they will hold up to 250 hp.. I considered fj80 axles for this one but I'm a tons kinda guy lol

Who runs toys? #ghey haha

I've heard a lot of good about Jim's performance, so I've been leaning that way. I've been researching this swap for a couple years, just finally got tired of the 1.3L stalling and bugged my friend enough to sell his someday project. Gonna break out the degreaser and maybe need some valve cover/intake gaskets to start. Once I get the parts all gathered and the wiring sorted out I'll pull my drivetrain. I want to still be able to wheel it while I get it sorted out.

Thanks for all the info, I'm sure I'll have more to ask.

zjtrey said:
very nice! booyang booyang I saw six lugs and thought toys… but yea eff that :cougar:
Cinco

I had Scout 44s on 37 reds but wanted to slowly upgrade. Traded a grill for the front housing to have a start, and put the winch up for sale. Guy offered the complete rear minus 3rd and shafts for it. So I figured I'd go tons and keep my current wheels/tires. Sold the Scouts and that funded the solid 5x5.5 conv. Since I had to buy everything anyways, and it was pretty much the same price I went 5 lug again. Once I had them built I sold the 37s and that paid for the 39s. So I'm around 2k in the swap, and don't regret 5 lug. Being under 3k, I don't see the extra 3 lugs as a necessity yet.

Started degreasing today, but need to tear it down and see where the leak is from. Did you leave the ac compressor for on board air, or buy the pulley from the 3800 thread that bolts in its place?

I kept the compressor and plan to do OBA, hope to get that plumbed up before the next ride, its already wired in.

I considered going 6 lug but I already had a lot of 8 lug stuff...

zjtrey said:
I kept the compressor and plan to do OBA, hope to get that plumbed up before the next ride, its already wired in.

I considered going 6 lug but I already had a lot of 8 lug stuff...

Emailed Jim last night and he responded within a hour. He said he does them all the time and quoted me $300 for the harness and $200 for the tune. Not too bad, but a touch more than most LS companies.

Where you get your oil pressure and temp readings from? I haven't seen it mentioned in the 3800 bible anywhere.

i removed the factory oil pressure sender, its ¼ NPT in the block, use a ¼ to ? bushing for a manual oil pressure gage.

For the temp sender I used an electric sender, remove the bleeder fitting in the thermostat housing and screw in the electric sending unit.. pretty simple once i figured it out for myself.

zjtrey said:
Thanks Wizzo! Our next ride is at GMP July 31- Aug 2 If any of ya'll wanna come out.

Yep, first trip out on the treps other than just around the house.. Driving around our land, there are some spots that would give the reds on my other rig trouble, like have to put it in high range and hit the rev limiter on a grassy hill climb, especially when its wet. The treps have no trouble stopping and starting again where the reds struggle to keep the rig moving..

On the rocks I would say their performance was very similar to reds which in my opinion is where reds really shine, the treps don't quite have the bite on the rocks that reds do, you know that feeling reds have when they hook up on rocks just isn't quite the same on treps but again this is a completely different rig than the one with reds ...maybe I'll have time soon to throw the reds on this one and see how it acts.

Treps do much better in the mud between the rocks we experience so much in this region and the clean way better.

bottom line i think the treps are a much better all around tire for the wheeling and conditions I tend to do.

I got that response a lot during the build…. my wife had no clue what i was up to for a long time, Im lucky she's so supportive. :****:

Treps take forever to break in, especially on a light weight rig. In my mind a trep with 15 trips on it has to be a good as a red with less worry

zjtrey,

This rig is awesome!

I love to see the Transaxle thing happen!! it works so well.

I also applaud you for the divorced Transfer Case!

what axle gears did you use?

Here's mine.... you may have seen it before!

Marv

Im assuming you are the same Marv thats over on pirate particpating in the transaxle discussion..

I appreciate your compliments. I have been surprised over and over with what this thing will do and keep on goin..

I'm running 4.10 diff gears...

the buggy had a good weekend at GMP.. it went where it was pointed... then i rolled it over lol.. I'll get some updated pics up here real soon..