• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Driveability of a Front Locker

jakes89f150

Im thinking about putting a lockright locker in my D44 front, its turning 33LTB's and has 760x ujoints in it. But what im really wondering is of how drive able it is going to be when i have my hubs turned in when im going up to baker or just around town in the snow and ice conditions we have now.
Also what about doing 40 with the transfer case in 2wd and the hubs turned in on patchy ice and pavement?

My sami has a Loc rite in the front and with hubs locked in 2-wheel you can tell but you get used to it. Pretty much need to unlock the hubs if the pavement is showing. In 4-wheel high it drags the front end around a little. My rig has power steering and I wouldn't want to know what it be like without it.

I had a LocRite in my frontend (no hubs) and Detroit rear in my '98 TJ. Like Karl said, just takes some getting used to it.

If you (metaphorically speaking) are not capable of driving a locked-up rig in non-ideal conditions.......maybe "4x4ing" is not your cup of tea. :;

without power going up there in 2wd, it shouldnt ever lock up on ya.
in 4wd mine slowed me down a bit on the freeway , just being extra cautious on the corners and accelerating. you wont want to get on it and pass people in the fast lane anymore, as it will pull one way or the other. All totally worth it once you get out on the trail though.:cool:

Last edited:
I guess it "feels heavy" in 2 high. Blasted around all weekend in 12+ inches of powder and it was pretty much unstoppable. I just cruise in 2-wheel untill I cant move anymore and then slip her into four.

I prefer having a front locker for snow/ice road driving. I try to unlock the hubs when it gets bare/wet mostly because of front driveline vibrations at higher speed. If your lazy and don't want to stop its not bad driving with the front locked in 2wd.