• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

driveline shortening?

FastEddy

so my 90 yota has duals in it now i was just wondering how to cut my driveline to shorten it. how many inches out, should i give from the splines on the driveline to the yoke. in the bottomed out position?

on a different note, If you are doing it yourself and have no means to tru it or ensure its straight then...

Cut the end off without the slipyoke. If you cut is off or crooked a little it wont be so bad cuz the cut is close to the center of the ujoint cap.

If you cut off the slipyoke end and weld it on crooked, its a long ways from the center of the ujoint cap and will be way farther out of round.

If both ends were welded the same amount crooked the longer end will multiply it. make any sense?

basically it's like this...

your rear driveshaft doesn't travel/slip much...

you could look at a stock height rig and measure how much the slip is out

or you could travel your suspension (full droop, full stuff) and measure to see how much your pinion travels to and from your tcase output,

or you could just split the diff and have equal lengths of slip up and down

weeks up dood why isn't your **** done:flipoff:

cut the end of the shaft that has no slip.

and if you want i can talk to a friend and see if he has the time and how much he wants to weld your dshaft in his driveshaft jig:awesomework:

Last edited:
as far as slip yoke amount showing? Thats a touchy one. It depends on the angle, the arch of the springs, the shackle angle, the length of the shaft, etc.

No magic formula for that one, just experience and a good eye for how parts work together.:awesomework:

Thats why heavy super long slip yokes are big sellers, no thought involved to get it right.:;

or you could travel your suspension (full droop, full stuff) and measure to see how much your pinion travels to and from your tcase output,

cut the end of the shaft that has no slip.

and if you want i can talk to a friend and see if he has the time and how much he wants to weld your dshaft in his driveshaft jig:awesomework:

easiest/safest way to do a rear is to jack it up by the bumper and at full droop get about an inch of splines in that thing. Then pray its on the money at ride height. The rear is the most forgiving.

little more work then i thought i half assed some of the ****, now i have to go back and fix it all:mad:. learned my lesson. we will be wheelin soon dont you worry

easiest/safest way to do a rear is to jack it up by the bumper and at full droop get about an inch of splines in that thing. Then pray its on the money at ride height. The rear is the most forgiving.

on the cutting sleeving shortening part that makes perfect sense im sure ill be able to get it pretty straight
thats the kinda of advice i was lookin for thanks brad!

Last edited:
This is how I do 'em. Just like brad said, cut from the ujoint end, clamp it to a straight heavy piece of steel, tack, measure, flip 90*, measure, cut tacks to even up, tack, flip 90* measure. If it's all good, weld it up. :awesomework:

100_0337.jpg

100_0338.jpg

easy way to do it is cut the the weld on the tube with a cutoff wheel.then knock the splined stub out and cut your tube to length.put it back in the rig and make sure your yokes are timed. clamp a dial indicator to the frame and tap driveline around to get runout around .005 and tack it in 4 places.check runout again then weld it up...kinda slow process but works well for me.