• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drivetrain Options???

rpf500

Please don't treat me like I am on Pirate here guys!! I am just wanting some feedback from you all.

I have a 4cyl yj on tons with a Tera Low kit and 5:13's.(for sale on here actually) It does really well on trails and most climbs. However, like everyone, the urge for more power has come over me.

SO, what do you all suggest on drivetrain? I want to stay with a manual trans because I like them. I want to keep my 5:13's as well if I can and not be too low geared.

I am looking for maybe what you guys run (engine, trans, transfer) (gas or propane doesn't matter) and that you think works well. Don't need 400 hp. I have considered a 4.3 with a 5 speed because they are plentiful, but not 100% sold on that yet.

Thanks for any input. Oh, and my checkbook will dictate some of what I do of course.

LS swaps are the best bang for your buck right now… plenty of manual trans options and lots of knowledge is easy to find

I went from a 4 cylinder, 5 speed juggy on tons with monster 2 speed stak tcase, 513s and 42s to a 350 tbi, auto, juggy on tons with 456s and 42s, 203/300 doubler and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!. TBIs are cheap and simple swaps but low horsepower compared to ls swaps. I hope to swap in a ls motor this fall though. I didnt think i would like an auto after having the 5 speed but found its much easier on long hill climbs not having to try and shift or on obsticals requiring wheel speed. Just remember going from a 4 cylinder to v8.....alot has to change.... motor mounts, trans mounts, transfer case mounts, cooling system, exhaust system. Swapping the motor in is the easy part

Re:

Seems that the best bang for your buck swap is a 5.3 vortec. They are plentiful and can make good power. Finishing up my yj right now, its got a 388 stroker. Gonna see how it does this year and if im not happy it will get a 5.3 or 6.0 in the winter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

5.3/6.0 Chevy motor with a sm465 or nv4500 and np205

Would be a good setup to find a 2500hd with a 6.0/nv4500 already mated

Or if you are not "LS obsessed"...

Pick up a Ford 351 or 302, add propane/intake/cam and rock out with 300hp and enjoy not having complicated wiring, fuel system, buying an oilpan, buying an accessory relocation kit, modifying a water pump, etc etc...

Your Jeep is probably driver drop anyway, pick up a np435/t19 np205 combo. Then you have the best 205 also

zjtrey said:
LS swaps are the best bang for your buck right now…

You think? I've done both SBC and LS now and I don't personally think that LS anything is bang for buck. You get a lot of power in stock form with hi-tech EFI but after wiring, programming, fuel system, oil system, intakes, oil pans are all dealt with, even if you get a $500 4.8, I just don't see a way to be into it for less than $2000. If you want a $2000+ aluminum engines you're inf or at least $4k - $5k.

A SBC on propane is super cheap and reliable, can be into 300hp for less than $1000 when all is said and done. weighs the same as the iron LS, and is way simpler to trouble-shoot. The heads available these days are fairly affordable and breath almost as good as the LS heads.

I wouldn't ever do a 4.3 simply because it weighs almost as much as an SBC with way less power and aftermarket.

I've been obsessing over light engines with lots of power recently. The Honda V6's are all aluminum, weigh 250lbs fully dressed, and have 250+ hp with a great torque curve. 'Course, good luck adapting them to any rwd trans. The new GM high feature all-aluminum engines have the 60* bellhousing pattern, can easily and cheaply be adapted to rwd trannies, weigh about the same as Hondas, and are also getting close to 300hp. Not to mention both the Hondas and GM V6's are physically just tiny and could fit in a moped if you wanted. Then there are the charged Ecotec 4-bangers that are pretty easily boosted to 300 hp once tuned. They're as long as a V8 but are 225lbs fully dressed and adapters exist for the rwd transmissions. Not saying that any of these are what you want. But the LS isn't as cheap as everyone makes them out to be. Yes, their initial purchase price is low for what you get, but 80% of the cost if just in getting them to run.

patooyee said:
You think? I've done both SBC and LS now and I don't personally think that LS anything is bang for buck. You get a lot of power in stock form with hi-tech EFI but after wiring, programming, fuel system, oil system, intakes, oil pans are all dealt with, even if you get a $500 4.8, I just don't see a way to be into it for less than $2000. If you want a $2000+ aluminum engines you're inf or at least $4k - $5k.

A SBC on propane is super cheap and reliable, can be into 300hp for less than $1000 when all is said and done. weighs the same as the iron LS, and is way simpler to trouble-shoot. The heads available these days are fairly affordable and breath almost as good as the LS heads.

I wouldn't ever do a 4.3 simply because it weighs almost as much as an SBC with way less power and aftermarket.

I've been obsessing over light engines with lots of power recently. The Honda V6's are all aluminum, weigh 250lbs fully dressed, and have 250+ hp with a great torque curve. 'Course, good luck adapting them to any rwd trans. The new GM high feature all-aluminum engines have the 60* bellhousing pattern, can easily and cheaply be adapted to rwd trannies, weigh about the same as Hondas, and are also getting close to 300hp. Not to mention both the Hondas and GM V6's are physically just tiny and could fit in a moped if you wanted. Then there are the charged Ecotec 4-bangers that are pretty easily boosted to 300 hp once tuned. They're as long as a V8 but are 225lbs fully dressed and adapters exist for the rwd transmissions. Not saying that any of these are what you want. But the LS isn't as cheap as everyone makes them out to be. Yes, their initial purchase price is low for what you get, but 80% of the cost if just in getting them to run.

Since you mention propane..... i had thought about junking the tbi set up on my sbc and throwing on a set of heads, cam and intake a d propaning it.....only issue is room to mount tanks. I have room for 1 but not 2

I agree with JJ on a couple points.... I went from the 4 banger to the 4.3 and wasnt happy. You can spend the same money and effort and have a V8. I currently run a TBI 350 with a NV4500 and atlas two speed with 5.13s in my tons and 44" tires. its not a power house but i love it...reliable..user friendly..and not crazy expensive. Im putting a 5.3 ls in a rockwell buggy now for a friend and its def more expensive...but will produce more power.

I've got an LS2 in my rig. I love it and learned a ton installing it. If I had to do it over I would do it again. But the EFI is very complex to trouble shoot and its pretty mandatory to have a good scanner with you at all times. But if I ever do build another buggy I know I can get one helluva SBC built for the roughly $8k I spent getting the LS2 going. Throw dual propane mixers on it, have way less wires, potential points of failure, and get rid of the computers.

patooyee said:
I've got an LS2 in my rig. I love it and learned a ton installing it. If I had to do it over I would do it again. But the EFI is very complex to trouble shoot and its pretty mandatory to have a good scanner with you at all times. But if I ever do build another buggy I know I can get one helluva SBC built for the roughly $8k I spent getting the LS2 going. Throw dual propane mixers on it, have way less wires, potential points of failure, and get rid of the computers.

What kind of scanner do you have? I've been meaning to get one but really don't know much about them.

I have a 5.3 in my buggy out of a :afro:Suburban. Engine with cut-down harness and tune by Jims Performance Total Price=$1500. Been riding it 4 years ZERO problems. I would not even consider anything else.

I have a TBI 4.3 and 5.7. Don't bother with a 4.3. You pay the same price or more vs a 5.7 and it weights just as much.
Either go with a V8 or keep the 4 banger.

i have had 4cyl ,4.0s, 351w, 6.0s both (lq9) (lq4) and a sbc on propane i won't ever waste my time with anything but Ls if you find a deal on a 5.3 you can usually do it under $2k there just way ahead of anything else for the money you have to spend on the swap but thats just my 2 cents

Sbc on propane. Simple and make as much power as you want. Within reason. Plus if you like to hunt online or at swap meets you can always find upgrades stupid cheap. Find an old Chevy with 350 4 speed and 205. Strongest drivetrain for the money and stupid cheap and simple.
Just my .02. Little heavy but strong.

Eddyj said:
Sbc on propane. Simple and make as much power as you want. Within reason. Plus if you like to hunt online or at swap meets you can always find upgrades stupid cheap. Find an old Chevy with 350 4 speed and 205. Strongest drivetrain for the money and stupid cheap and simple.
Just my .02. Little heavy but strong.
X100! I got brand new,but second hand, heads, pistons, rods,valve, roller rockers, HP oil pump and a block with all the machinging done for $750! Then spent another $200 on propane stuff bought a cam kit for $350 and this SBC is gonna be putting out around 400HP. Not TC power but its simple and reliable.

Latest posts