• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dynamite Design - Sling Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with all the cut and welded joints in the top halo? Why not make it out of one piece with multiple bends?

Also, massive weave mig welds on a Jeep cage is a waste of time IMO and may or may not even be beneficial strength wise.

I can't see where the finished product is going but I'm about as good of a fabricator as Adair :****: maybe you'll prove us wrong and it'll look awesome when completed.

The cage will be painted with clear coat. The heat signatures and colors of the TIG welds should be locked in.

Andrew, since your out west right now. Try to find a trophy truck and count the bends in it from front to rear.

You might could check out Damon Jefferies down the road. Might even see them running around near Cougar Buttes.

I been trying to figure something out and am not trying to come off as an ass hat but why are you making your welds so wide? It looks like you are running a root pass then capping it off with 2 more. I guess what I'm asking is are you doing this for looks or what?

wont work said:
I been trying to figure something out and am not trying to come off as an ass hat but why are you making your welds so wide? It looks like you are running a root pass then capping it off with 2 more. I guess what I'm asking is are you doing this for looks or what?
x2

What is the purpose of the bead run down the center of the entire length of some of the tubes?

patooyee said:
What is the purpose of the bead run down the center of the entire length of some of the tubes?
That was answered a few pages back. He's making the tubes oval by cutting some out of the middle and welding them back together. :popcorn:

Guess I missed that. Doesn't that just make the tube weaker in one direction?

Im no master fab guy either. The nice welds are that. Way over kill imo. I like the build just wondering about the welds.

To be honest, I didn't realize so many people were in the dark regarding the weld process. It is as simple as a root pass, and then a weave pass. It is only 2 passes. These welds are really only ever seen on trophy trucks and class 1 unlimited cars. And with that said, very few of them. The main reason for doing it to show you that I am one of the few people that can do it in fashion.

The welds are what they are. It just comes natural. The design part is what I consider myself even better at, but I haven't been able to show it, until now....

The HAZ is what causes tubes to break right next to the weld instead the weld failing. Too much heat can be just as bad as not enough.

Ok we get it.... You can walk the cup with a tig welder. Why are you not cleaning the tubes to be welded? There is so much **** in there that you can see it in your pics. Also what's the thought process of making the weld so big around some of the tubes? Its like 1" on my computer screen. You obviously have a decent skill set, just wondering why you wouldn't take the extra steps to make it right. Your argument for them welds being on a trophy truck is pretty lame, can you give some examples of something that has that much weld? Here is probably the best documented build and you don't see anything that looks like your stacking mig welds, http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/31417-Something-New!! I was always taught that a weld needs to be no larger than the thinnest material. Looks like a bad use of time, materials and consumables all of which I would guess the customer would be paying for.

Dynamite Design said:
To be honest, I didn't realize so many people were in the dark regarding the weld process. It is as simple as a root pass, and then a weave pass. It is only 2 passes. These welds are really only ever seen on trophy trucks and class 1 unlimited cars. And with that said, very few of them. The main reason for doing it to show you that I am one of the few people that can do it in fashion.
[/

So your running no root pass is what ur saying just 2 wide passes. This is no stronger than one weld. Now if you was doing a root pass and 2 covers, known as a root and 2 in welder lingo you got something. Also to add HREW tube is about 40,000 tensile strenght per inch and I'm going to guess that your using er70 filler rod which when welded properly has a tensile strength of 70,000. So with all that said one of you welds is 30,000 stronger than what you weld on so no need for a 2nd weld to add heat to make a bigger HAZ zone.

Someone goes out side the box and everyone is quick to throw them under the bus.

why all the haters? the guy is proud of his skills and wants to show off his abilities. Said he was just gonna clear coat (unless i misread) it so the welds could be seen so why not go a little over board. This is looking like it will be a work of art that will also serve its purpose.

Keep up the good work man and dont let the haters slow you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.