• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric water pump problems on LT1?

FFDave

I have an Lt1 with an electric water pump on my wrangler and am constantly overheating on the trail. I have a 180 thermostat and am currently in process of putting larger radiator and electric fan in. I have read about electric water pumps moving coolant too fast for it to effectively cool. Has anyone had any luck with putting a restrictor on the water discharge from cop of the water pump housing?

Probably going to switch back to the manual water pump so that I don't have to worry about family not watching temp gauge while driving.

Make sure you don't have wrong water pump I'm pretty sure the lt1s flow backward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I had to run a gutted tstat with an electric pump, flowed too much even with a 31x19 2core rad

This is a stupid queestion, but wouldn't a gutted tstat allow more flow since it is always flowing coolant vs a thermostat that is closed at a certain temp?

Some things need to know; 1) Is motor built in any way (cam, stroked, check timing, etc) 2) Radiator location (front, rear, how far from motor) 3) What fan are you running and is it going in the correct direction 4) Shroud 5) Air flow restrictions (seats or grille in the way of air flow) 6) Is there a intake manifold pressure relief valve (air pocket at the highest point)

I have had similar problems many times before and these are all things that I have looked at to correct it, especially if the pump is new. thumb.gif

Stock LT1, Radiator is in front with no obstructions. New radiator is going in the front with 3300 cfm puller fan and shroud. Not sure on the relief valve. I was running the brass radiator that came in the jeep with an electric fan and no shroud.

If you open your cap and its bubbling with pump on, you've probably got an air pocket in your intake manifold. There should be a 1/2" pipe thread plug on the front right side of your manifold. Crack it open slowly and let the air release. I replaced mine with an air compressor pop off I bought at Lowes. Just possible. :dunno:

FFDave said:
Stock LT1, Radiator is in front with no obstructions. New radiator is going in the front with 3300 cfm puller fan and shroud. Not sure on the relief valve. I was running the brass radiator that came in the jeep with an electric fan and no shroud.

Stock LT1 thermostat housings have a bleeder screw on top. Get your front end in raised while running and open it air should come out if any is in engine. It make take several time's though.

kmcminn said:
Stock LT1 thermostat housings have a bleeder screw on top. Get your front end in raised while running and open it air should come out if any is in engine. It make take several time's though.
This. I always made sure to put a rag/towel under it while doing this so hot water didn't pour down onto the opti.